Shipley for Felix Jones?

Given more time, I think Ship will be fine. The problem is we are loaded with young talent at WR and time is NOT on Ship's side. Hawk is simply a better player at this point and does Teams stuff as well. Even if Ship were to get back to 100% by week 4, does he push Hawkins out of the spot? I think not.

The trade would be nice but I have to think Dallas is desperate to get a guy who can play NOW into camp ASAP.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1345208814' post='1147823']
Given more time, I think Ship will be fine. The problem is we are loaded with young talent at WR and time is NOT on Ship's side. Hawk is simply a better player at this point and does Teams stuff as well. Even if Ship were to get back to 100% by week 4, does he push Hawkins out of the spot? I think not.

The trade would be nice but I have to think Dallas is desperate to get a guy who can play NOW into camp ASAP.
[/quote]

x2. I think he sticks if he's near 100% by the end of the preseason, but that's not looking likely at this point.

If another team thinks he will, and doesn't have a high waiver wire claim, I could definitely see them giving a late pick.

I also think the Bengals will be looking to swap him, or sims or whalen, for a backup interior olineman.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345209343' post='1147827']
x2. I think he sticks if he's near 100% by the end of the preseason, but that's not looking likely at this point.

If another team thinks he will, and doesn't have a high waiver wire claim, I could definitely see them giving a late pick.

I also think the Bengals will be looking to swap him, or sims or whalen, for a backup interior olineman.
[/quote]

Gotta agree. I think the run blocking is more the issue than the RBs we currently have. An interior lineman is certainly more of a need at this point.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1345209630' post='1147832']
Gotta agree. I think the run blocking is more the issue than the RBs we currently have. An interior lineman is certainly more of a need at this point.
[/quote]

they talked to Jason Brown the other day but he's decided to retire. I think we'll definitely see someone brought in before the start of the season.

If Shipley doesn't make the 53, I sure hope they trade him even if its for a bag of chips to perhaps a team like Miami. I could see Cleveland easily picking him up off waivers. I much rather him not land on a division foe.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1345210478' post='1147840']
1181, in a hypothetical world where shipley is "near 100%" by the end of camp, who are you cutting to make room for him?
[/quote]

dunno at this point.

I'd say it is Shipley vs Jones for the last spot, but Jones is winning that battle.

If Shipley DOES come on and they choose to go with 7 (which I don't think they will), I don't have the slightest clue.

With Sanu and Jones being able to play both inside and outside, plus Charles being basically a big WR, I don't see them keeping a 7th WR at the expense of another position.

I'm a big Shipley fan, but that's why I'm kind of on the "trade him if you can" bandwagon. I just don't see him making the team unless he lights up the next 2 weeks.

Both Dallas and Miami need WR's and are far enough down the waiver wire claim where they may give you a late draft pick. The jags could be interested as well, but are in a little better waiver wire claim spot.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1345210478' post='1147840']
1181, in a hypothetical world where shipley is "near 100%" by the end of camp, who are you cutting to make room for him?
[/quote]

Lets just be honest, Hawkins has won that spot. Do you keep Ship as a backup and get rid of a guy who may have to fill in at multiple positions if the case arose? I would think you keep a guy who can step into the slot, if needed AND can be a wideout. Sure, Ship would probably be a better slot but backups need to be able to fill more than one need in case of injury.

And Shipley isn't going to light anything up in the next two weeks playing with third stringers. I would call plays designed for Shipley and to get him the ball. Get him a screen or something... see what he does. Then line him up outside and run a slant and a streak.

But maybe the coaches don't care about him??? Not that he's worthless but maybe they're so content and happy with the group that is actually playing 1st team snaps and Hawkins in the slot that Shipley is actually looked at as a 3rd string WR now.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345217040' post='1147897']
Yesterday they said something about Marvin not knowing whether or not to keep six or seven with this group of WRs.

Green
Tate
Binns
Hawkins
Sanu
Jones
then Shipley?

Has to be the youngest WR group on the league.
[/quote]

I believe that sounds right and they did say that about Marvin, but I think we will end up with 6 WRs and 3 TEs right now.

I could see 7 and 2, but Charles hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself and Lee keeps making plays

[quote name='BScott28' timestamp='1345217417' post='1147899']
I believe that sounds right and they did say that about Marvin, but I think we will end up with 6 WRs and 3 TEs right now.

I could see 7 and 2, but Charles hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself and Lee keeps making plays
[/quote]

yea with the Bengals having a strong TE corp, it might mean them seeing Shipley's ability across the middle as a luxury (also factoring in Sanu and Jones can play the slot).

2 TE sets aren't working in Shipley's favor.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345217040' post='1147897']
Yesterday they said something about Marvin not knowing whether or not to keep six or seven with this group of WRs.

Green
Tate
Binns
Hawkins
Sanu
Jones
then Shipley?

Has to be the youngest WR group on the league.
[/quote]

I know we all tend to forget Whalen, but I like him. Even if there's no spot here, he can play in the NFL.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1345218487' post='1147902']

I know we all tend to forget Whalen, but I like him. Even if there's no spot here, he can play in the NFL.
[/quote]

I like Whalen too, but seems he just won't be able to stick in Cincinnati

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345230163' post='1147983']
don't think it works that way. Would just put him straight on IR, not cut him.
[/quote]

I believe that can't be done until the cutdown next week. To put him on IR now you'd have to expose him to waivers.

Since they did cut him, I don't see them IR-ing him - and since he is cleared to play there's no injury to IR him for.

Archived