Why do people NOT vote?

Go Skins

I got into a discussion with one of my friends that was raised in NYC about voting, and she refuses to vote under any circumstances. Her logic:

either way if I vote or don't vote what changes are going to be made there government will always be messed up a run by money nothing ever gets fully solved and not everything that is promised is going to happen
and*
so no I don't vote because the rich will always be benefited and the poor never win so yeah I think I'm good

I can hear what either candidate has to say and be like ok I'm going to vote for this guy becauause he says this,this and this but that that doesn't mean its going to happen

Of course, she says that tons of people don't vote either, well, duh, and then those are the ones that complain. Guess what, you had your chance to be heard, and you blew it.

Thoughts?

I always vote because I feel like it's my duty to vote, but I also don't feel like my vote matters. There's too much corruption and money involved for things to change anytime soon. I wish the general population didn't feel like they needed to vote for one of the big 2.

Sometimes I wish there was an "abstain" option at the polls. Not voting just says you were to lazy to show up, but showing up and voting abstain would say you think the whole system sucks. I guess voting 3rd party is similar but it's different in my mind. Make some laws about what happens if a certain percent abstains. We shouldn't always just be stuck with the lesser of two evils, which is what seemingly the majority of people end up voting for. Ideally people who get elected would be elected because the public believed in them. Not because they hate the other guy.

Most of the time my greatest driving force to vote is for the local issues. I try to support school levys and things like that whenever possible.

I don't vote. I voted once, when I turned 18. Haven't done it since.

And I know it's not "right" per se - but you know what? It's meaningless. Here in Texas, Repubs are going to win regardless.

More importantly - and I'm going to steal a part from one of Carlin's tirades - I just cannot vote for any of these "rich cocksuckers who don't give a fuck about you". The idiots who go out there and vote straight-ticket, or let their opinions be guided by idiots like Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Olbermann, etc etc have diluted the voting public so much that what independent thinkers want doesn't matter. It's why all this campaigning bullshit still works, and it makes me sick to my stomach. They let their guilt and fear of religion justify their decision, and SHAME on those who prey on people's faith while they rob them blind.

"The table is tilted, folks, the game is rigged. And nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care."

I think it's going to take a lot more than this same, old, tired election shit to really change things. Like I said, I know it isn't necessarily right, but I WILL not "hold my nose" and vote for a lesser of evils. I hope there are younger people out there who do not follow my example and actually try to dismantle this big machine, which perpetuates this cycle of screwing the public.

Maybe at some point in my life I will be inspired to become active, but for right now - fuck these clowns, they aren't getting my vote. Not until we do away with "career politicians", and those who get into politics for the perks.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1347308149' post='1155840']
I always vote because I feel like it's my duty to vote, but I also don't feel like my vote matters. There's too much corruption and money involved for things to change anytime soon. I wish the general population didn't feel like they needed to vote for one of the big 2.

Sometimes I wish there was an "abstain" option at the polls. Not voting just says you were to lazy to show up, but showing up and voting abstain would say you think the whole system sucks. I guess voting 3rd party is similar but it's different in my mind. Make some laws about what happens if a certain percent abstains. We shouldn't always just be stuck with the lesser of two evils, which is what seemingly the majority of people end up voting for. Ideally people who get elected would be elected because the public believed in them. Not because they hate the other guy.

[b]Most of the time my greatest driving force to vote is for the local issues. I try to support school levys and things like that whenever possible.[/b]
[/quote]

This is big issue because this affects where you live. Let's say education in some way is on the ballot, that effects the youth of tomorrow.

It would be interesting to see the highest percentage of who the write in votes are though, especially, in the presidental elections.

Most people don't vote because they feel like their vote does not matter. I always tell them if you dont vote then you have no right to complain about the government. You have to stand up for something before you can complain. Just pick a side and vote or just write in a name. Even if you think all politicians are bad then just write someones name you think that could do the job.

The "my vote doesn't count" stuff is weak as hell.

That's like saying you can't be a Bengals fan because they never win the Super Bowl. You cheer for the Bengals cause you believe in them. That is your team.

So find your "Bengals" candidate. Find the dude that best represents what you want the government to do. If he loses, so what, you showed support to someone that intends to represent your ideals. That's the best you can do.

This "I won't vote cause it doesn't matter" is very bandwagon-y and Stealersian. Fuck that.

I always ask when people complain about the government if they voted. If they voted they have a right to complain all day everyday. If they say no because ..... then I tell them they can't complain because they didn't try to change it.

Vote and complain about the other guy or don't vote and just shut up and take it.

Thanks for the back up guys.

The one year I lived in Maryland, there was nothing to vote on in November, and it was odd to not be going to the polls. I have never missed a November election since I was 18, and never will. Even though some of the issues (meaning the local ones) may not effect me directly, I think of the bigger picture and the people that live in the city that I do, and how it would effect them.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1347366783' post='1157235']
Thanks for the back up guys.

The one year I lived in Maryland, there was nothing to vote on in November, and it was odd to not be going to the polls. I have never missed a November election since I was 18, and never will. Even though some of the issues (meaning the local ones) may not effect me directly, [color=#ff0000]I think of the bigger picture and the people that live in the city that I do, and how it would effect them.[/color]
[/quote]

Shame on you for thinking of others when you vote. ;)

I vote every time there is something to vote for, and I call my family and remind them to vote. My mom and dad went thru the struggle to get black people to vote, so I feel it's my duty to do it every time. Blood was spilled to give me that right, I will not ever, nor will I allow anyone in my family, to not participate.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1347419510' post='1157594']
I vote every time there is something to vote for, and I call my family and remind them to vote. My mom and dad went thru the struggle to get black people to vote, so I feel it's my duty to do it every time. Blood was spilled to give me that right, I will not ever, nor will I allow anyone in my family, to not participate.
[/quote]

kenneth, sometimes you are cool, but mostly gay, but this time you are cool, I like this post.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1347419510' post='1157594']
[/quote]

while I applaud the reasoning and enthusiasm, the freedoms fought for to GET the right to vote, also gives the freedom to not vote as well...

**off topic**

I would be willing to bet 5-15(absolute max)% of voters are "well educated" on what they are voting for. I have no urge to "force" more uneducated votes into the ballot box. Thats kind of the whole reason we have the horrid blind two party system we have now.

I wish people could be forced to pass a test before voting, or get a % of 1 vote that they pass on the test, 50% right, your vote counts for 50% of a vote.

people are stupid, and packing the ballot box with uneducated votes is worse than lack of voting, IMO...I voted when I was 27, didnt vote when I was 23 or 19, i would have just been mirroring my parents vote with nearly 0 opinion of my own knowing almost none of the facts involved. I couldnt make that make any sense at all.

Making blind decisions because someone around me tells me its the right things is no way to make world changing decisions.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1347426776' post='1157601']
while I applaud the reasoning and enthusiasm, the freedoms fought for to GET the right to vote, also gives the freedom to not vote as well...

**off topic**

I would be willing to bet 5-15(absolute max)% of voters are "well educated" on what they are voting for. I have no urge to "force" more uneducated votes into the ballot box. Thats kind of the whole reason we have the horrid blind two party system we have now.

I wish people could be forced to pass a test before voting, or get a % of 1 vote that they pass on the test, 50% right, your vote counts for 50% of a vote.

people are stupid, and packing the ballot box with uneducated votes is worse than lack of voting, IMO...I voted when I was 27, didnt vote when I was 23 or 19, i would have just been mirroring my parents vote with nearly 0 opinion of my own knowing almost none of the facts involved. I couldnt make that make any sense at all.

Making blind decisions because someone around me tells me its the right things is no way to make world changing decisions.
[/quote]

I fully understand what your saying, but any type of test to be allowed to vote would fail miserably. The people in power currently would devote funds to prepare their supporters for the test while blocking their opponents from getting the same. Too much corruption and money involved.

Also, what would be on the test and who would decide that? If it's on book smarts, you're just favoring the wealthy. Perhaps when you vote, they ask some things about the person you just voted for. You should know your candidates stance on the major issues. I will say I usually skip the sections on local commisioners/judges/etc. I'm not going to just vote someone on party line or name recognition, but that's what they want. When I have someone yell a name at me as I'm walking into the polling location, it makes me want to vote for the other guy.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1347461754' post='1157653']
I fully understand what your saying, but any type of test to be allowed to vote would fail miserably. The people in power currently would devote funds to prepare their supporters for the test while blocking their opponents from getting the same. Too much corruption and money involved.

Also, what would be on the test and who would decide that? If it's on book smarts, you're just favoring the wealthy. Perhaps when you vote, they ask some things about the person you just voted for. You should know your candidates stance on the major issues. I will say I usually skip the sections on local commisioners/judges/etc. I'm not going to just vote someone on party line or name recognition, but that's what they want. When I have someone yell a name at me as I'm walking into the polling location, it makes me want to vote for the other guy.
[/quote]

oh yeah, i know there is no chance. it would just be nice.. simple stuff like how many states there are, what tax bracket you are in, maybe some general questions on the main issues involved, like old people asked about medicare, welfare people asked about that stuff... etc... or everyone asked about all of it...

it would cut down on the deceit in the ads, people being forced to know the laws and regulations would prevent them from being duped into thinking obama wants to take away their guns, etc..

I am not really for testing of voters, but I understand the feeling behind it. If it [i]were[/i] to be implemented I would be happy with making people pass a fairly simple civics class. I am frequently amazed at how many relatively well educated people have no idea how our government actually functions, and what the powers/responsibilities are of each branch of government. When you include the fact that people also don't have a good understanding of the constitution and the related amendments (beyond what their personal propaganda outlet of choice has to say about them) it's actually kind of scary.

This class and test would be offered free of charge to anyone who wishes to take it.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1347494714' post='1157839']
I am not really for testing of voters, but I understand the feeling behind it. If it [i]were[/i] to be implemented I would be happy with making people pass a fairly simple civics class. I am frequently amazed at how many relatively well educated people have no idea how our government actually functions, and what the powers/responsibilities are of each branch of government. When you include the fact that people also don't have a good understanding of the constitution and the related amendments (beyond what their personal propaganda outlet of choice has to say about them) it's actually kind of scary.

This class and test would be offered free of charge to anyone who wishes to take it.
[/quote]

it would be nice to have people pass a series of 3-5 questions about the bill or proposition they are voting on before voting on it, to prove they know what they are even voting for.

anything we could do to get people in this country actually using their brains in life would be great.

Archived