Debates

MichaelWeston

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351134424' post='1174436']
Not sure what you mean by this as the UN has been involved in Afghanistan since the invasion.
[/quote]

There is one thing to be in Afghanistan and going to war with a country. There are only three countries that have a formal activity in Afghanistan. The U.S., Australia, and Great Britain have teamed up with the Afghan rebels to get rid of the Taliban and the old regime. After the death of Osama Bin Ladan which was the major factor for the operation, UN started to develop an exit strategy that involved teaching a new Afghan military and helping the new government to grow and develop. The UN was not a big factor in getting Bin Ladan or the Taliban.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351133217' post='1174432']
I'm not sure Afghan given the people and environment is a winnable war.
[/quote]

No one has ever conquered Afghanistan. Doubtful anyone ever will.

The only chance we had at make a substantive change was lost over a decade ago. Had we spent all those trillions building roads, bridges, and power\water infrastructure we might have stood a chance of winning over the populace.

Alas, we don't even invest in our own infrastructure....

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351135468' post='1174441']
No one has ever conquered Afghanistan. Doubtful anyone ever will.

The only chance we had at make a substantive change was lost over a decade ago. Had we spent all those trillions building roads, bridges, and power\water infrastructure we might have stood a chance of winning over the populace.

Alas, we don't even invest in our own infrastructure....
[/quote]

If any money should be spent right now on infrastructure, the U.S. needs to create a better passenger train system. That would help the environment and create a cheaper form of interstate transit. It would also give people that are afraid to fly an alternate choice.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351135735' post='1174442']
If any money should be spent right now on infrastructure, the U.S. needs to create a better passenger train system. That would help the environment and create a cheaper form of interstate transit. It would also give people that are afraid to fly an alternate choice.
[/quote]

While the train systems are one of my very favorite parts of Europe and most other countries I've visited, our money would be better spent on the electrical grid, bridges, and water infrastructure. All are a fucking mess...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1351137635' post='1174443']
While the train systems are one of my very favorite parts of Europe and most other countries I've visited, our money would be better spent on the electrical grid, bridges, and water infrastructure. All are a fucking mess...
[/quote]

The U.S. water system and land fills are horrible. Just like in the movie "Dream Catcher," Stephen King shows that our water system can easily be contaminated. Yes I know that movie involves aliens, but you get the point. The power grid is another thing. More substations need to be crated to prevent more black outs, and to build more stability to the grid. Yes most bridges around the united states are pretty old. I have a huge fear of driving on high bridges over water. I almost had a panic attack when crossing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa. I still get very uneasy when crossing the bridge from Ohio to Kentucky. When that bridge collapsed in Wisconsin and people in their cars full into the river, that sure didn't help my phobia.

This is a reference back to Jamie's question to me about if government create jobs. I almost don't want to reply to this because a lot has been talked about since then and I think that it is a complicated answer that will almost definitely be misinterpreted. I hope not though.

To answer your question Jamie, I think I will say that Homer's response back to us was a good one. In a nutshell, his response was 'you are both right and you are both wrong.' I am going to go off of his response. he may or may not have meant it this way but this is what I think.

Government obviously creates jobs. I said 'Gov't doesn't create jobs' as too broad of a statement. What I should have said is that 'We can't depend on government jobs to recover our economy in the short term.' Here is what I mean by that:

-The majority of jobs are created in the private sector. This is straight tax revenue for the state because it is create something out of nothing. Government jobs are paid for with tax money. That isn't to say government jobs are a bad thing. Police, firefighters, teachers are all government jobs. There are also technology jobs (such as you and I have) that can be government jobs. I am not saying these are bad jobs at all. Just that for our recovery right now, we need to focus on creating private jobs.

-You mentioned numerous examples where government policies have led to massive jobs. You are correct in saying this. However it isn't that black and white. I will focus on the internet because it is what I understand and know the best of the examples you posted. The DOD created the internet somewhere in the 1960's. It was a tool used mostly for military purposes and at that time created very little jobs. For about 40 years it created very, very little jobs. Very few people knew what it was or how it worked but this was by design. Then in the 90's government lifted the commercial regulations and it literally blew up. We all know that when money is involved, things get done faster.

So in conclusion (about the internet) research and development created the program but without free market intervention, it wouldn't be a fourth of what it is today. And I think that is a good recipe for government and private sectors. Government researches and develops things like you mentioned, but afterwards they need to get out of the way :)

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1351125633' post='1174386']
Anyone that was a vet of WWI and WWII, a five star general grad of West Point (one of our best institutions to this day, IMO), a Supreme Allied Commander in WWII and for NATO, served two Presidential terms, built the highways that define our nation, oversaw much of the Korean war....AND whose parting shot as a dyed in the wool military man warned us against what we see today, the military-industrial complex as an influencer of policy....is a good man.

I admire and like Ike. Wasn't he the last President that was also a General? I think he was. We need more people like him right now. I am an admirer, especially with the way he handled the multiple personalities under his command in WWII.
[/quote]

Eisenhower is a titan of American history, worthy of being placed alongside any of our past leaders. Yet until a generation ago he was considered by most historians as a mediocre President at best.

The truth is still sifting...

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1351186093' post='1174536']
If Obama would just rethink his policy of being black, he could probably win a lot more votes. He won't even meet 1/2 way on the issue, though.
[/quote]

Well... I'd say the same could be said for Romney... he should reconsider his position on being white... if he'd come out at least 2/3's black (:ninja:) he'd garner a much larger portion of the black vote...

And, yes, he's being too hard-headed on that issue as well.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1351186093' post='1174536']
If Obama would just rethink his policy of being black, he could probably win a lot more votes. He won't even meet 1/2 way on the issue, though.
[/quote]

Who the hell is upvoting stuff like this? seriously though...

I am interested to know who read this and was like "yeah, the problem is that he is black"

why are [i]you[/i] offended by that? It was a general statement intended to be a little funny despite being sadly true. My Grandma, a lifelong Democrat, couldn't vote for him the first time around because in her words, she "just couldn't trust him." This time around she has a pretty damn good reason to not vote for him, though.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1351189240' post='1174550']
why are [i]you[/i] offended by that? It was a general statement intended to be a little funny despite being sadly true. My Grandma, a lifelong Democrat, couldn't vote for him the first time around because in her words, she "just couldn't trust him." This time around she has a pretty damn good reason to not vote for him, though.
[/quote]

Not offended. Maybe I took the wrong way. My mistake.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1351187039' post='1174543']
Well... I'd say the same could be said for Romney... he should reconsider his position on being white... if he'd come out at least 2/3's black ( :ninja:) he'd garner a much larger portion of the black vote...

And, yes, he's being too hard-headed on that issue as well.
[/quote]

LMAO yeh, white dudes have traditionally had such a difficult time getting elected President. JFC.

He even made some similar comment himself, about how it'd be easier if his dad were Latino. This is a man who obviously doesn't know any Latinos. For an obscenely-rich white guy to be in the position he's in, and then act as though he's being held back by his race, is pretty goddamn offensive IMO.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351196153' post='1174559']
LMAO yeh, white dudes have traditionally had such a difficult time getting elected President. JFC.

He even made some similar comment himself, about how it'd be easier if his dad were Latino. This is a man who obviously doesn't know any Latinos. For an obscenely-rich white guy to be in the position he's in, and then act as though he's being held back by his race, is pretty goddamn offensive IMO.
[/quote]

Not to sound racist, but it is a fact that white people are now the minority in this country. Some may say the gene pool is so muddied at this point that no one is truly a single race, but last time I checked when someone meets you on the street, they judge you by how you look, and don't ask you for a recap of your family history and the ethnicity of all your relatives. The U.S. has truly reached the point where any race can be President as long as they are very good at public speaking and have the right people backing them.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351201417' post='1174566']
[b]Not to sound racist, but it is a fact that white people are now the minority in this country. [/b]Some may say the gene pool is so muddied at this point that no one is truly a single race, but last time I checked when someone meets you on the street, they judge you by how you look, and don't ask you for a recap of your family history and the ethnicity of all your relatives. The U.S. has truly reached the point where any race can be President as long as they are very good at public speaking and have the right people backing them.
[/quote]

Lewdog, you are saying insane things:

[url="http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/"]http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/[/url]

Not even in the mexican-est of states (California) are white people the minority.

Your credibility is garbage as you keep saying wildly inaccurate things.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351205161' post='1174577']
Lewdog, you are saying insane things:

[url="http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/"]http://2010.census.g...0census/popmap/[/url]

Not even in the mexican-est of states (California) are white people the minority.

Your credibility is garbage as you keep saying wildly inaccurate things.
[/quote]

So the 2010 census proves anything about the ending 2012 year? You're right, several people have questioned my statements, including Obama's promise to withdraw all the troops. I proved that to be lie by Obama. I'm sorry I can't conform to your line of thinking and be so narrow minded behind principals of a certain party.

Anyone that continues to root for a player that is nothing more than a bench riding scrub, and tauts him as a future All Pro QB, can't exactly throw stones.

Now I will admit I was a little off on the minority part. The article I had read actually pointed out that by2042 or 2050, whites will become that minority. New born children and people under the age of 18 have already become the minority of their generation. So, I was half wrong. Nobody bats 100%

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351206014' post='1174580']
So the 2010 census proves anything about the ending 2012 year? You're right, several people have questioned my statements, including Obama's promise to withdraw all the troops. I proved that to be lie by Obama. I'm sorry I can't conform to your line of thinking and be so narrow minded behind principals of a certain party.

Anyone that continues to root for a player that is nothing more than a bench riding scrub, and tauts him as a future All Pro QB, can't exactly throw stones.
[/quote]

Um, how can anyone prove anything about "ending 2012 year" if 2012 is not even over yet?

Do you seriously think minorities shit out 200 million kids in the almost two years since the census data was taken?

You weren't a little off, you were a LOT off. This statement "[b]Not to sound racist, but it is a fact that white people are now the minority in this country." [/b]is probably the most wrong statement ever put on the internet. You don't sound racist, you sound like a dumbass.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351207397' post='1174582']
Um, how can anyone prove anything about "ending 2012 year" if 2012 is not even over yet?

Do you seriously think minorities shit out 200 million kids in the almost two years since the census data was taken?

You weren't a little off, you were a LOT off. This statement "[b]Not to sound racist, but it is a fact that white people are now the minority in this country." [/b]is probably the most wrong statement ever put on the internet. You don't sound racist, you sound like a dumbass.
[/quote]

Yes, this an ending of the year 2012. October is almost over, which only leaves 2 more months in the calendar year. You would have to be a very big dumbass to not understand that. You quoted a census from 2010, it's now 2012, and like I said, it isn't the overall population that is where white people are the minority. People age 18 and younger are the new white minority. This is an evolving change that scientist have speculated to be a total flip over in minorities by 2042 or 2050. Yes I was a little off because the people that are the future of this country, has changed the rankings in ethnicity.

I love how so many people are so fast to tear down other people's points of view, yet they can't put together a clear opinion themselves.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351207874' post='1174584']
and like I said, it isn't the overall population that is where white people are the minority. P
[/quote]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351201417' post='1174566']
Not to sound racist, but it is a fact that white people are now the minority in this country.
[/quote]

:39:

I suggest we all stand back and let Lewdog debate himself.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351207874' post='1174584']
Yes, this an ending of the year 2012. October is almost over, which only leaves 2 more months in the calendar year. You would have to be a very big dumbass to not understand that. You quoted a census from 2010, it's now 2012, and like I said, it isn't the overall population that is where white people are the minority. People age 18 and younger are the new white minority. This is an evolving change that scientist have speculated to be a total flip over in minorities by 2042 or 2050. Yes I was a little off because the people that are the future of this country, has changed the rankings in ethnicity.

I love how so many people are so fast to tear down other people's points of view, yet they can't put together a clear opinion themselves.
[/quote]

Wow Lewdog, you are not good at the internet. How do you suppose we count all the people in this country? They only do the census every 10 years for a reason. It's not easy to do. Somehow you magically have the 2011 data and 9.75 months of 2012 data. You should be president.

Even your final sentence is stupid. Nothing I posted was opinion. It was straight facts, homie.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1351209731' post='1174592']
Wow Lewdog, you are not good at the internet. How do you suppose we count all the people in this country? They only do the census every 10 years for a reason. It's not easy to do. Somehow you magically have the 2011 data and 9.75 months of 2012 data. You should be president.

Even your final sentence is stupid. Nothing I posted was opinion. It was straight facts, homie.
[/quote]

You gave a fact from 2010. This isn't 2010, it's 2012. I'm trying to figure out why you are having such a problem with this concept. I bet I can name the next 10 years, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Shew, that was difficult. What I pointed out to you were calculated statistics made by people a lot smarter than you or I. Why you continue to try and undermine me every post I have no clue. Then again you are a follower of Mike Leach and the Bengals, so you must be a sadist.

Archived