Marijuana Laws

Lewdog

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352416027' post='1178764'][list]
[*]
[/list]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state"]http://en.wikipedia....s_by_U.S._state[/url]

There are actually quite a few dry places in Ohio. Personally I like to go out to eat to places that serve beer. Colorado has to be moving to the top of my list so far. Arizona, Nevada, and Florida are still in the running.
[/quote]

i would assume every state is provisioned that way... doesnt mean they are retarded enough to have tehm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county

there is the map of all of them in the whole country... youll see a direct correlation to % of religious nutbags and % of dry counties on that map...

Was this article ever posted on here? Oh well it is now.

[quote]
[b] Mason High School Drug Bust: Teen Charged With Leading Marijuana Ring Raking In $3 Million[/b]

07/16/12 05:23 PM ET [img]http://s.huffpost.com/images/v/ap_wire.png[/img]

LEBANON, Ohio — The drug kingpin had six lieutenants, selling as much as $20,000 of high-grade homegrown marijuana every month to high school students, careful not to do business on school grounds where they knew it was riskier, investigators said. And all this before he graduated.
A 17-year-old high school student was the center of a high-grade marijuana distribution ring that operated in two Cincinnati-area schools, the Warren County Drug Task Force said Monday. A yearlong investigation culminated in the arrest of the teen and seven adults, as well as the seizure of more than 600 hydroponically grown marijuana plants with a street value of around $3 million, the agency said.
The student, who was not named by the sheriff's office, will face charges in juvenile court. He had $6,000 in cash in his bedroom closet when officers arrived with a search warrant, sheriff's officials said.
"He was selling to six other people who were kind of like his lieutenants," Drug Task Force Commander John Burke said. "Then they were distributing the drugs to other high school students."
The juvenile told authorities he was not selling marijuana or conducting his business on the grounds of the high school, according to Hamilton County Prosecutor David Fornshell.
"There were strict orders not to sell at (the school) because you would get caught and the punishment would be severe," Fornshell said at a news conference.
He said the 17-year-old had been dealing drugs since he was at least 15. Through him, undercover investigators were able to trace the supply of drugs to three different individuals.
Fornshell described the teen as seeming "like someone who'd be in a church youth group or honor program."
"He clearly had a high level of intelligence, but it was very misguided," Fornshell said.
He and the students who worked for him supplied Mason and nearby King high schools, Burke said. Other students who allegedly worked under the teen may eventually be charged also.
The investigation netted suspects who allegedly were growing high-grade hydroponic marijuana out of houses in Norwood and Hamilton and a furniture warehouse in Blue Ash, all in the Cincinnati area. The pot sold for $5,000 a pound, Burke said.
The adults indicted range in age from 20 to 58. All face multiple charges including possessing, cultivating and trafficking in marijuana. They were indicted Friday and were still being rounded up Monday, Burke said.
"This is a unique situation where we've been able to start at one level and move up the ladder to the source," Burke said. "The case is made even more egregious because it involved juveniles."
Mason City School Superintendent Gail Kist-Kline said school officials combat drug activity by routinely conducting surprise sweeps, providing programs on drug use and abuse for students and employing a school resource officer.
[/quote]

I wonder if this was his project for his economics class.

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/teen-drug-ring-bust-pot-17-year-old-ohio_n_1676543.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/teen-drug-ring-bust-pot-17-year-old-ohio_n_1676543.html[/url]

that would be a non issue if it were treated as tobacco/alcohol... so A. it wouldnt have been worth as much, B: wouldnt be as "hard" for high schoolers to get, C: wouldnt be a felony...

what a waste of resources and money...

and for what? did any of those kids stop smoking pot? probably not

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1352417325' post='1178771']
that would be a non issue if it were treated as tobacco/alcohol... so A. it wouldnt have been worth as much, B: wouldnt be as "hard" for high schoolers to get, C: wouldnt be a felony...

what a waste of resources and money...

and for what? did any of those kids stop smoking pot? probably not
[/quote]

It would have still been against the law: A. All the kids involved were less than 21, B. He didn't have a license to grow marijuana, C. He nor his friends would have had a license to sell marijuana, and D. They were selling marijuana to underage kids which is a pretty hefty fine and when you take into account the number of instances, would allow for jail time.

Well so far Go, Washington only dropped pending possession charges. I guess we'll see where it goes. The new states are trying to test the water and see if Holder and his goons will try to enforce the Federal laws in their states. Read what is in bold! :lmao:

[quote]

[b] Colo., Wash. await federal response to pot measure[/b]
By KRISTEN WYATT | Associated Press – 16 hrs ago

DENVER (AP) — Should marijuana be treated like alcohol? Or should it remain in the same legal category as heroin and the most dangerous drugs? Votes this week by Colorado and Washington to allow adult marijuana possession have prompted what could be a turning point in the nation's conflicted and confusing war on drugs.
Colorado's governor and attorney general spoke by phone Friday with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, with no signal whether the U.S. Justice Department would sue to block the marijuana measures. Both states are holding off on plans to regulate and tax the drug while waiting to see whether the Justice Department would assert federal authority over drug law.
Meanwhile, prosecutors in Washington's largest counties dropped all pending misdemeanor cases of marijuana possession Friday in response to that state's vote to legalize the drug.
The Obama administration has largely turned a blind eye to the 17 states that currently flout federal drug law by allowing people with certain medical conditions to use pot, something that is banned under federal law.
A spokesman for Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper said during Friday's talks, state officials asked Holder for the federal government's response to the marijuana vote but didn't get one.
The Colorado officials "emphasized the need for the federal government to articulate what its position will be. ... Everyone shared a sense of urgency and agreed to continue talking about the issue," spokesman Eric Brown wrote in an email. No date for further talks was announced, he said.
Hickenlooper opposed the ballot measure and has downplayed the likelihood of a commercial marijuana market materializing in Colorado. "If it's still illegal under federal law, I can't imagine that 7-Eleven is ever going to sell it," he said earlier this week.
Denver prosecutors are still reviewing pending marijuana possession cases in Colorado's largest city, and Denver City Attorney Doug Friednash said it was too soon to say whether small possession cases would be tossed.
But Friednash said the marijuana vote "obviously creates an issue with respect with even obtaining favorable verdicts in these cases."
In Washington state, a spokesman for Gov. Chris Gregoire said this week that Gregoire would respect the will of the people.
"We are entering uncharted waters and many questions lie ahead as we work to implement this law," said spokesman Cory Curtis. "Because marijuana is still illegal at the federal level, we are unsure how the federal government will proceed."
Earlier this week, Justice Department spokeswoman Nanda Chitre said enforcement of the federal Controlled Substances Act remained unchanged.
"In enacting the Controlled Substances Act, Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance," Chitre said. "We are reviewing the ballot initiative and have no additional comment at this time."
Chitre declined to comment after Holder spoke with the Colorado officials.
If Colorado's marijuana ballot measure is not blocked, it would take effect by Jan. 5, the deadline for the governor to add the amendment to the state constitution. The measure allows adults to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, and six marijuana plants, though public use of the drug and driving while intoxicated are prohibited.
Colorado's measure also directs lawmakers to write regulations on how pot can be sold, with commercial sales possible by 2014.
In Washington state, marijuana possession of an ounce or less would become legal on Dec. 6 if the measure is not blocked, though setting up a state-run sales operation would take a year.
Marijuana business owners gathered in Denver for a two-day conference cheered the votes — but kept a close eye on their smartphones for word of a federal response.
Denver attorney Robert Corry told the crowd at the National Marijuana Business Conference that President Barack Obama sent a signal about marijuana when he made a record number of campaign visits to the battleground state this year and never talked about the marijuana vote.
"Silence equals consent. The time for the federal government to talk about marijuana legalization is over. The election has passed," Corry said to applause from the crowd. [b]"Marijuana got 50,000 more votes than Obama on Tuesday.[/b] Don't think they didn't notice that."
But Corry quickly added that the federal marijuana approach will ultimately decide the question.
"Let's face it: the federal government is a fearsome force. They have the guns, they have the jails, they have the power," he said.
[/quote]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/colo-wash-await-federal-response-pot-measure-202557189.html"]http://news.yahoo.co...-202557189.html[/url]

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1352578048' post='1179217']
:lmao:
[/quote]

I used to have a friend in high school who moved from Kentucky to Ohio. He hated Ohio so much, that literally when he drove back to Kentucky, the first thing he would do is get down on the ground and kiss it. No joke, watched him do it several times. I can't stand being in this hell hole and pray to get out of here as soon as I can.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352578356' post='1179218']
I used to have a friend in high school who moved from Kentucky to Ohio. He hated Ohio so much, that literally when he drove back to Kentucky, the first thing he would do is get down on the ground and kiss it. No joke, watched him do it several times. I can't stand being in this hell hole and pray to get out of here as soon as I can.
[/quote]

yea, his sister didnt live in ohio...

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352566074' post='1179180']
Well so far Go, Washington only dropped pending possession charges. I guess we'll see where it goes. The new states are trying to test the water and see if Holder and his goons will try to enforce the Federal laws in their states. Read what is in bold! :lmao:

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/colo-wash-await-federal-response-pot-measure-202557189.html"]http://news.yahoo.co...-202557189.html[/url]
[/quote]

it would have been odd if it didnt, since both sides would be voting on it, and since it passed, clearly many from both sides were for it...

HAHAHHAHA Go is on fire in this thread.

Marijuana laws, as they currently are in Ohio are retarded. Oh,...I could smoke a joint of the finest cheeba and drive as well as if I was sober. I could pass any field sobriety test, no problem. Those people in KY were probably getting arrested for being on meth or whatever it is they smoke/shoot/snort in that lovely state.

Please keep this thread going for Go's one liners alone...

The feds are pretty much over a barrel since they turned the cheek when all the states passed their medical marijuana laws that were a joke to bypass. now for them to take a stand against a full legalization and shut down a revenue stream in this economy for states, education, etc, would be viewed very negatively, not that they may care, but this country is at a point where if marijuana can jumpstart a states economy and ease the layoffs of police, fire, medical, etc. its a no brainer.

it just sucks when i get in my time machine and go visit family in Ohio...

this should all get hot and heavy in the spring, the deadline is july 2013. this discussion should be relevant for a long while.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1353431000' post='1182767']
The feds are pretty much over a barrel since they turned the cheek when all the states passed their medical marijuana laws that were a joke to bypass. now for them to take a stand against a full legalization and shut down a revenue stream in this economy for states, education, etc, would be viewed very negatively, not that they may care, but this country is at a point where if marijuana can jumpstart a states economy and ease the layoffs of police, fire, medical, etc. its a no brainer.

it just sucks when i get in my time machine and go visit family in Ohio...

this should all get hot and heavy in the spring, the deadline is july 2013. this discussion should be relevant for a long while.
[/quote]

The drug war is mainly focused on marijuana....resources measured in manpower, money are being WASTED by fighting this War on Drugs, resources that could be reallocated somewhere its truly needed. People are so misinformed on marijuana that it's not productive to have conversations unless people have become educated. I think first, people should learn about this plant and its pros/cons. Then allow people to vote what they think. Hemp as well as marijuana.

It's always the same though...the money trail will lead you to who doesn't want things working "sensibly".

There is all kinds of Hemp growing around here.
I guess the Government planted a bunch to make rope for WW2. And it is still growing.
I walked upon a big field of it not too long ago.

The THC is so low in it though, that if you smoked it all you would get is a rope burn.

I accidently dropped some seeds back in May. Not too long ago I found some plants with high levels of THC in them. :whistle:

:32:

:15:

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1353445243' post='1182851']
I guess the Government planted a bunch to make rope for WW2. And it is still growing.

The THC is so low in it though, that if you smoked it all you would get is a rope burn.

I accidently dropped some seeds back in May. Not too long ago I found some plants with high levels of THC in them. :whistle:

[/quote]

Good for you. Everyone should have the right to grow their own if they want. Who the fuck owns the land anyways? Do the birds own the air and the fish own the sea?

It's funny though because you and my buddy have the same clumsy habit. He too dropped some seeds on the ground right around May, went back to the spot 10 wks later and guess what he saw? Good for you, good for him (and as a result, good for me :) )

[/quote]

Speaking of hemp......hemp seeds or hearts are one of the most nutritionally dense foods out there. There's NO THC whatsoever in it, has perfect ratio of omega 3 and 6 fats, some of the most absorb-able proteins found in food....yet it's illegal because it's part of the cannabis family. It's not a drug, it's a food but it's illegal. WTF is wrong with us.

Just so we're clear, there are exactly two kinds of plants in the Cannabaceae: pot ([i]Cannabis[/i]) and hops ([i]Humulus[/i]). So the "Cannabis family" is certainly not illegal.

ok, I just checked and a few more genera (a genus would be something like oak, maple, or ash) have been moved into the Cannabaceae since I studied botany. Stupid science changing its mind in light of new evidence!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinaceae#List_of_genera

[/quote]

Hah, reminds me of an "incident" at my fraternity in college. The guys who smoked pot would just toss their seeds and stems out the window. One day the president noticed a nice big plant growing right behind the mailbox, next to the front door. Ooooops.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1353450134' post='1182873']
Just so we're clear, there are exactly two kinds of plants in the Cannabaceae: pot ([i]Cannabis[/i]) and hops ([i]Humulus[/i]). So the "Cannabis family" is certainly not illegal.

ok, I just checked and a few more genera (a genus would be something like oak, maple, or ash) have been moved into the Cannabaceae since I studied botany. Stupid science changing its mind in light of new evidence!

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinaceae#List_of_genera"]http://en.wikipedia....#List_of_genera[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry...I misspoke (typed?) I didn't mean to say the whole cannibis family was illegal. Just wanted to point out the "stigma" it carries being in the same family as thc containing female cannabis plant. What are you, the fact checker of GB.com? Stat boy? :)

• 2 years later...

Well, if the government does want to do something, this may be a good argument for it:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/colorados-pot-tax-tally-lessons-states-28880912

Marijuana makes money. But legalizing it doesn't eliminate the black market or solve a state's budget problems.

Those are the lessons from Colorado's first full year of tax collections on recreational pot. The year-end report, released Tuesday, tallied about $44 million in new sales taxes and excise taxes from recreational pot.

Add fees and pre-existing taxes from medical pot, which has been legal since 2000, and Colorado's total 2014 pot haul was about $76 million.

Colorado was the first government anywhere in the world to regulate marijuana production and sales, so other governments are watching closely. Estimates varied widely for how much money Colorado would make, and the final hard numbers have important lessons for other states considering legal weed markets.

looking locally, it was about 53 mil counting the taxes on the growers as well as the retail buyers, and the total counting medical suplliers as well as license and so on was near 90 mil.

while in the grand scheme of the 19 billion annual bidget its a grain of sand, the fact that a large portion is dog eared specifically for school districts.. which there are 64 of.. the larger districts would see over a million a year in increase.. my 7 yr old uses ipads at school, as well as my 9 year old, its funded electronic homework platforms llowing kids to learn from home on computers and ipads, which they are willing to do, vs pencil paper stuff, both of my children are testing 1-2 grades ahead of where they are currently...

what always gets left off of the bottom line cost wise, is the drop in crime and imprisonment from this... a relative is a denver cop, and it basically removed25% of their time spent tracking low level drug dealers and allowed them to focus on the heroin, coke, meth, etc.. increasing arrests and crack down on that.. 

the retail pot is outrageous priced, but its guaranteed quality makes it a viable option for most.. 

i remember going to court in ohio, cattle call in front of judge for whatever, mine was a ticket for going 55 in a 25, of the 60+ people there, probably almost half were marijuana possession... what a crock of shit.

there isnt a downside to this.. no matter how you look at it.. its no gateway drug, no one is trying it that wouldnt if it were illegal, it was never hard to get, so its not like it got easier..

generates revenue, eliminates some police work and court backlog, clears some jails, zero downside..

I wonder if those figures are just counting "revenues" as opposed to also counting savings, such as the costs of enforcing and imprisoning people for marijuana offenses.  Obviously some expense still exists as there is still a black market and thus criminal activity related to pot. Also it's worth noting that the black market for liquor didn't disappear overnight when prohibition was repealed either.  I'm sure the fact that this hasn't happened on a federal level isn't helping this either.

Obviously the apparatus for distributing and selling marijuana wasn't built over night and is rather extensive.  Expecting it to go away in a single state in ther course of a year is extremely unrealistic.  Even if we were to repeal marijuana prohibition federally it would take years to dismantle the black market that has grown around it.  Over time though, as large companies took over the national production and sale of the product, prices would drop making the risk involved in the black market not worth it for the profit much like it currently is with liquor and tobacco now.

I wonder if those figures are just counting "revenues" as opposed to also counting savings, such as the costs of enforcing and imprisoning people for marijuana offenses.  Obviously some expense still exists as there is still a black market and thus criminal activity related to pot. Also it's worth noting that the black market for liquor didn't disappear overnight when prohibition was repealed either.  I'm sure the fact that this hasn't happened on a federal level isn't helping this either.

Obviously the apparatus for distributing and selling marijuana wasn't built over night and is rather extensive.  Expecting it to go away in a single state in ther course of a year is extremely unrealistic.  Even if we were to repeal marijuana prohibition federally it would take years to dismantle the black market that has grown around it.  Over time though, as large companies took over the national production and sale of the product, prices would drop making the risk involved in the black market not worth it for the profit much like it currently is with liquor and tobacco now.

from what i can read numbers wise it is strictly off tax revenue, license revenue, business tax, grow taxes, etc.. nothing to do with offset cost savings for the state..

the fact that growers are limited to X amount of growth keeps prices high, i assume over years that number will increase.. a friends cousin has a grow house, makes about 75k/month.. but if there was more competition for the grow houses, it would be cut down to 20% of that revenue.. and retail cost of the products would drop like a rock as well.

the only problem i see currently, is that banks wont allow accounts for sellers or growers.. so there is a HUGE amount of cash stored.. making many of them launder the money to get it into a bank..  sketchy shit.. most ahve armed guards at the facilities...

most ahve armed guards at the facilities...

Same as ever, only less shady. Lots of businesses have armed guards, particularly those required to have large amounts of a high-$ product on hand.  Better a couple of rent-a-cops than a cartel.

I think something that gets lost in all this is the long-term benefit of decriminalizing a huge and otherwise harmless segment of the population.  Marginalizing people over a plant is bad business on all kinds of levels.  They should factor in the added revenue from court cases not prosecuted, arrests not made, reassigned law enforcement.. The advantages go well beyond state tax income.

Archived