[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1352988844' post='1180880']
I think Jones and Sanu are better than Tate and Binns. Tate and Binns may have equal or better measurables than Jones and Sanu. But [b]Jones [/b]and Sanu [b]have already shown they are better better football players[/b] than those two imo.
An ideal starting lineup would be Jones and Green on the outside an Sanu in the slot. And have Hawkins on screens and reverses.
[/quote]

He may well be better, but Jones hasn't "shown" anything yet.

[center]
[size=4][background=rgb(242, 242, 242)][size=5][b] Mohamed Sanu is Bengals' go-to guy[/b][/size]

[b] There's not much receiver can't do on offense - including passing[/b][/background][/size]

[/center]

[b] [/b]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Bengals wide receiver Mohamed Sanu threw his first NFL touchdown pass weeks before he caught his first one last Sunday in a game that also saw him take a handoff from quarterback Andy Dalton and run between the tackles for a first down.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“He's a unique guy,” offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said Thursday.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]But the Bengals knew that when they drafted the do-it-all rookie out of Rutgers in the third round of this year’s NFL Draft. Nine games into the season, with Kansas City up next on Sunday, Gruden feels like they’ve only scratched the surface.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Sanu senses his role in the Bengals offense is expanding, and the 23-year-old isn’t letting the opportunity go to waste.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“You’ve got to do everything you can to make positive plays, and whenever your number is called make that play,” he said. “So I feel like it’s a perfect time to do whatever I can to get that first down or make that catch in a critical situation and help this team move forward.”[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Sanu’s entire statistical production at receiver this season has come in the Bengals’ past three games.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Targeted 12 times in that span, he’s caught nine passes for 103 yards, including the 10-yard touchdown pass from Dalton in the third quarter of last Sunday’s victory against the Giants. Sanu used his body to get the inside position on Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara to make the grab. He plans to give the ball to his brother-in-law next week as a token of appreciation.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“He’s starting to emerge and it’s good to see,” Dalton said. “Early on, when he first got here in OTAs (organized team activities) and minicamp and things like that, you could tell he had a great feel for the game.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“He made big plays for us this past week, converting a fourth down, a third down, scoring a touchdown. He’s really showing what he can do. I think he’s going to get more and more playing time because of it.”[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Sanu played a season-high 36 snaps on offense Sunday and caught four passes for 47 yards overall. He also had the 3-yard carry up the middle on 3rd and 2 with one of the NFL’s top defensive lines trying to stop him.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Gruden asked him Thursday how he felt about running the ball up the middle.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“He loves it,” Gruden said. “So, may see more, may see less, but he can do it. He’s not afraid.”[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Sanu ran the Wildcat at Rutgers and the triple option in high school. Even as a little kid, he said he played every position.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]When he studies film, he breaks down the opposing defense as a whole and then individually, so he’s prepared to line up anywhere on the field, which is entirely possible with Gruden pulling the offensive strings.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“It’s a lot of fun because you’ve got to look at the game different,” said Sanu, who threw a 73-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Green out of the Wildcat formation in Week 3. “Different angles. Different plays. Because you’re playing inside, you’re playing outside. You’ve got to switch your mode from being outside to being inside, from being inside to being outside. It’s fun.”[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Because he’s not limited to being the X receiver, Sanu is an X factor for opposing coaches.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Kansas City head coach Romeo Crennel, whose team plays the Bengals on Sunday, said coaches have to prepare their players to be ready for anything with a player like Sanu.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“Not only can he catch the ball and run routes, but he can run out of the backfield, he can throw the ball,” Crennel said. “When he’s in the game, your antennas better go up.”[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Gruden said Sanu has a knack for getting open and the ability to handle anything asked of him. And while he looks to be seizing the No. 2 receiver spot, Sanu recognizes there is still work to be done.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“Definitely not where I want to be,” he said. “I’ve got a ways to go. I’ve still got to get a lot better. I’m still learning. Just taking it one day at a time, trying to get better and better every time I step on the field.”[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121115/SPT02/311150147/Mohamed-Sanu-Bengals-go-guy"]http://news.cincinna...-Bengals-go-guy[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1352991383' post='1180890']
He may well be better, [b]but Jones hasn't "shown" anything yet[/b].
[/quote]

I think Jones has shown the coaches and fans, that he has a better "skill set" than the other two. Can he produce in a regular season game, we'll see.

[b] Sanu Scores TD Two Straight Weeks for Bengals[/b]
[color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[i]After getting off to a slow start in his NFL career, South Brunswick High School and Rutgers University alum Mohamed Sanu has scored a touchdown in two straight games.[/i][/font][/color]
Like most rookie wide receivers in the NFL, South Brunswick's [url="http://southbrunswick.patch.com/articles/south-brunswick-waits-for-sanu-s-nfl-dream-to-begin"]Mohamed Sanu[/url] took some time to adjust to the pro game. [/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
But in week 11 of the NFL season on Sunday, South Brunswick's favorite son found himself in the starting lineup of the Cincinnati Bengals and soon found the end zone for the second straight week.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
After an injury kept starting receiver Andrew Hawkins out of the lineup, Sanu started the first game of his pro career and made the most of it. Late in the fourth quarter with the Bengals ahead of the Kansas City Chiefs 21-6, Sanu beat star Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers on a 14-yard touchdown pass from Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
"If life were represented with arrows on God's spreadsheet, Bengals rookie wide receiver Mohamed Sanu would have several green-colored arrows pointing northward," said Josh Kirkendall [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/11/19/3665694/the-rise-of-bengals-rookie-wr-mohamed-sanu"]on CincyJungle.com[/url] "Whether it's an injury to Armon Binns or Andrew Hawkins, Sanu has enjoyed an exponential increase of playing time lately in Cincinnati's offense."[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Sanu finished with 2 catches for 22 yards after having a breakout game last week against the New York Giants, where he recorded 4 catches for 47 yards and his first NFL touchdown catch. Earlier this season Sanu tossed a 73-yard touchdown pass out of the Wildcat formation showing off his versatility.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
“You’ve got to do everything you can to make positive plays, and whenever your number is called make that play,” [url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121115/SPT02/311150147/Receiver-Mohamed-Sanu-Go-Guy"]Sanu told Cincinnati.com[/url]. “So I feel like it’s a perfect time to do whatever I can to get that first down or make that catch in a critical situation and help this team move forward.”[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
Sanu is even starting to get some attention in fantasy football, where his nose for the end zone the last two weeks has analysts taking notice.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[url="http://riverrats3.football.cbssports.com/players/playerpage/1664646"]CBS.com wrote,[/url]"If you didn't put Sanu on your radar after his touchdown against the Giants in Week 10, it's time to notice his production after the past two weeks."[/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
The Bengals will be back in action on Nov. 25 at home against the Oakland Raiders.[/font][/color]
http://newbrunswick.patch.com/articles/sanu-scores-td-two-straight-weeks-for-bengals?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co[/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1352985646' post='1180873']
its not so much a battle as it is a "what works for a given situation". If its 3rd and 3 and I need a tough 3 yards either running or a quick pass, I'm going Sanu. If its a down where I'm looking to go downfield, I'm going Jones.

And I don't see a battle as a bad thing. They're both hungry rookies who want playing time and are also good friends. A little competition in practice is a healthy thing.
[/quote]

I agree thats what is going to happen, however at the same time that does take the no-huddle away from you when you have to make substituions like that.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1353420571' post='1182715']
I agree thats what is going to happen, however at the same time that does take the no-huddle away from you when you have to make substituions like that.
[/quote]

they don't run a lot of no-huddle as it is (though they should, they're really good in it). Maybe 1-2 drives a game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353422383' post='1182719']
they don't run a lot of no-huddle as it is (though they should, they're really good in it). Maybe 1-2 drives a game.
[/quote]

I wonder if thats due to the need to sub because of a lack of a #2 guy that can do everything you need just yet?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1353422827' post='1182721']
I wonder if thats due to the need to sub because of a lack of a #2 guy that can do everything you need just yet?
[/quote]

I think its just that they have a lot of young or new guys starting and they don't have a full no-huddle package in like a New England, New Orleans, Green Bay or even Baltimore.

8 of the 11 offensive starters have less than 3 years experience in the league, and 4 starters are in their first year in the system, which is only 2 years old itself.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353423403' post='1182725']
I think its just that they have a lot of young or new guys starting and they don't have a full no-huddle package in like a New England, New Orleans, Green Bay or even Baltimore.

8 of the 11 offensive starters have less than 3 years experience in the league, and 4 starters are in their first year in the system, which is only 2 years old itself.
[/quote]

Oh that's what I was saying, indirectly mind you, that the lack of experience by the guys vying for the #2 spot is a reason why.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1353423756' post='1182728']
Oh that's what I was saying, indirectly mind you, that the lack of experience by the guys vying for the #2 spot is a reason why.
[/quote]

its not just the #2 though. It's lack of experience across the entire offense.

It took Baltimore 5 years to institute a no-huddle offense, and they have a lot more veterans than the Bengals do.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1352923499' post='1180769']
Will he be our #2 receiver going forward?

Dare me to start him in fantasy? (Harvin & A. Brown are injured)
[/quote]

[IMG]http://www.be-logic.org/uploaded/10_1353437508.jpg[/IMG]

Not bad for 2 starting WRs out.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1352947529' post='1180837']
Me too but it's incumbent upon the coaches to actually PLAY him two games in a row. We have seen too many examples of young talent being kept on the sidelines, perhaps because they don't fit the practice mold the Bengals coaches look for, only to be studly in games. [b]The Bengals under Marvin seem to do a great job of identifying talent but not necessarily finding ways for that talent to be successful, whether it's getting into the games at all (Dunlap, Simpson, Sanu, Jones) or utilizing them in a way that plays to their strengths (Gresham, Scott). It's a little mystifying to me[/b].
[/quote]
Ding dong! We have a winner!

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1353441278' post='1182823']
Sanu for sure is the number 2 but I want to see Marvin Jones. He deserves a chance to get some play for sure.
[/quote]

I think when they go to 4 Wides, it's easier to slide Sanu inside and put M. Jones on the outside. Sanu is a natural slot and Jones is a natural outside.

gotta say, re-watching the chiefs game, I'm so impressed with Sanu's cutting ability. He's not the speediest guy, but his cuts are so sharp and his routes so crisp. If a corner bites when he puts his foot in the ground, it's over.

I had severed doubts about him being able to beat man coverage way back before the Bengals even drafted him, but week after week he's proving that notion wrong.

Archived