[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1352925175' post='1180780']

You ALWAYS start ALL your Bengals!
[/quote]

My friend was bragging at the begining of the fantasy season about all of the Bengals he had. He then informed me he'd picked up our TE... Yeah, he was starting Clark Harris the first few games.

[quote name='McBallerson' timestamp='1352936183' post='1180819']
Marvin Jones.... 3 catches for 26 yards on he season. Sad state of affairs if that qualifies him for the #2 spot.
[/quote]

I think that what 1181 means is that Jones will become a part of the platoon at the #2 position with Sanu, depending on down, distance, situation, etc. But I really liked what I have seen from Sanu so I hope they continue to use him more often. The knock I keep seeing on him here is that he doesn't get great separation, but dude is physical as hell so it likely doesn't always matter. I think Sanu could be our new Housh. TJ was never a speedster either.

[quote name='staticx682000' timestamp='1352945335' post='1180835']
I hope like hell he is our number 2, but i have seen this many times as a bengals fan, would just like to see him do it a few game in a row.
[/quote]

Me too but it's incumbent upon the coaches to actually PLAY him two games in a row. We have seen too many examples of young talent being kept on the sidelines, perhaps because they don't fit the practice mold the Bengals coaches look for, only to be studly in games. The Bengals under Marvin seem to do a great job of identifying talent but not necessarily finding ways for that talent to be successful, whether it's getting into the games at all (Dunlap, Simpson, Sanu, Jones) or utilizing them in a way that plays to their strengths (Gresham, Scott). It's a little mystifying to me.

[quote name='McBallerson' timestamp='1352936183' post='1180819']
Marvin Jones.... 3 catches for 26 yards on he season. Sad state of affairs if that qualifies him for the #2 spot.
[/quote]

basically what Bung said, but for perspective, Sanu 5 days ago only had 5 catches for 56yds in his career.

Gruden said Jones was going to be the #2 in the Pittsburgh game before he got hurt, so it stands to reason that when he comes back they are going to be competing with each other for the spot.

As great as it is to see Sanu just ripping balls out of the air, it seemed Jones was getting separation and catching balls. If Sanu can get away from defenders a bit, he's the #2. If he can't, I think the job is still open for Jones... Separation means YAC, and it means the QB doesn't have to thread the needle on every target.

I also think Jones is more of a deep threat, and that Sanu isn't. In a perfect world, I think Green and Jones rock the outside, and Hawkins and Sanu trade off in the slot.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1352981822' post='1180862']
As great as it is to see Sanu just ripping balls out of the air, it seemed Jones was getting separation and catching balls. If Sanu can get away from defenders a bit, he's the #2. If he can't, I think the job is still open for Jones... Separation means YAC, and it means the QB doesn't have to thread the needle on every target.

I also think Jones is more of a deep threat, and that Sanu isn't. In a perfect world, I think Green and Jones rock the outside, and Hawkins and Sanu trade off in the slot.
[/quote]

well said. I don't think there will ever be a true #2, at least not this year. It's gonna be Green, Gresham, and a mix of other guys depending on the situation.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1352982859' post='1180865']
well said. I don't think there will ever be a true #2, at least not this year. It's gonna be Green, Gresham, and a mix of other guys depending on the situation.
[/quote]

I hope not. Sanu got it done; keep lining him up until he doesn't.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1352984877' post='1180868']
I hope not. Sanu got it done; keep lining him up until he doesn't.
[/quote]

I still think he'll get 55-60% of the snaps like last week, but Hawk, Jones, and Charles will continue to get touches as well. IMO the only constants at this point are Green and Gresham.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1352931307' post='1180799']

My friend was bragging at the begining of the fantasy season about all of the Bengals he had. He then informed me he'd picked up our TE... Yeah, he was starting Clark Harris the first few games.
[/quote]

LMAO. Reminds of the doctor on "The League" that was bragging about stealing Plaxico for his team. He didn't realize he was in prison that fall.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1352985461' post='1180871']
Yeah I think you're right about that. All I'm saying is that November is not the time for roster battles.
[/quote]

its not so much a battle as it is a "what works for a given situation". If its 3rd and 3 and I need a tough 3 yards either running or a quick pass, I'm going Sanu. If its a down where I'm looking to go downfield, I'm going Jones.

And I don't see a battle as a bad thing. They're both hungry rookies who want playing time and are also good friends. A little competition in practice is a healthy thing.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1352982859' post='1180865']

[/quote]

X2, assuming Jones doesn't show so much that he wins the #2 outright. The WR corps has a lot of versatility and that helps with exploiting various matchups.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1352923499' post='1180769']
Will he be our #2 receiver going forward?

Dare me to start him in fantasy? (Harvin & A. Brown are injured)
[/quote]

Does it matter? I know it makes intriguing conversation, but all that matters is ball distribution. I don't care if Pressley is the number 2 receiver as long as the passing game flourishes and they win ball games.

With that said, what is Marvin Jones' status? I couldn't watch the game Sunday so I don't know if he's still hurt, dressed or what.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1352986309' post='1180875']
Does it matter? I know it makes intriguing conversation, but all that matters is ball distribution. I don't care if Pressley is the number 2 receiver as long as the passing game flourishes and they win ball games.

[b]With that said, what is Marvin Jones' status? I couldn't watch the game Sunday so I don't know if he's still hurt, dressed or what.[/b]
[/quote]

got back onto the field yesterday, but in a limited fashion on the side. Depending on what he does today, I'm guessing he'll be back for Oakland next week.

I think Jones and Sanu are better than Tate and Binns. Tate and Binns may have equal or better measurables than Jones and Sanu. But Jones and Sanu have already shown they are better better football players than those two imo.
An ideal starting lineup would be Jones and Green on the outside an Sanu in the slot. And have Hawkins on screens and reverses.

Archived