Week 17 Flex Watch

Linky: [url="http://sports.morganwick.com/category/football/nfl/snf-flex-scheduling-watch/"]http://sports.morganwick.com/category/football/nfl/snf-flex-scheduling-watch/[/url]

The site above is hard to read, but this guy has been pretty much on the money when it has come to predicting games that NBC would flex into their Sunday Night slot. I'll not repost everything from there, here's the summary:

He believes that there are FOUR games that are candidates for flexing:

[b]Cowboys-Redskins[/b] will be picked if: [u]The Giants lose OR the Cowboys win[/u].
Both teams split the season series with the Giants, but the Giants can’t finish with a division record better than 3-3, while the Cowboys-Redskins winner will pick up at least their fourth division win. The Redskins won the first game against the Cowboys and so would sweep them with a win, so even with a Cowboys win this week a loss to the Redskins would eliminate them from the division. As this is the most TV-friendly option, it seems very likely, with the caveat that the loser could still get a wild card spot, and even if this scenario doesn’t play out…

[b]Eagles-Giants[/b] will be picked if: [u]The Giants win AND the Cowboys and Redskins lose[/u]
which would put this scenario (scroll to the bottom) into play. As would…

[b]Packers-Vikings[/b] could theoretically be picked if: [u]The Vikings win AND the NFC East teams all lose[/u]
The Vikings would lose a tiebreaker to any of them but swept the Bears. But if that were to happen, the Vikings win by itself means I can’t see a scenario where the Cowboys-Redskins loser gets a playoff spot, wiping out Packers-Vikings’ one potential saving grace.

[b]Ravens-Bengals[/b] will be picked if:[u] The Ravens lose AND the Bengals beat the Steelers AND the Giants and Redskins win AND the Cowboys lose.[/u]
Even then, the Ravens already have a playoff spot and the Bengals-Steelers result would assure the Bengals of one too; I haven’t researched that infernal common-games tiebreaker between the Colts and Bengals, but it’s very possible this game would merely determine home-field advantage for a rematch the following week, whether as the 3-6 or 4-5 game (if New England loses out, a Ravens win in this game gives them the 3 since they beat the Pats).

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1356014044' post='1195785']
I thought that somebody already posted on the other flex thread that our game is locked in at 1 PM. I will be in Gatlinburg, so anything besides 1 PM where they'll be getting the Titans game will work for me.
[/quote]

that was regarding the pittsburgh game.

steelers beat writer.

[size=3][color=#565555]][b]It's not looking good for Steelers, Ravens, Browns. My weekly NFL predictions....[/b][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#565555]]Cincinnati Bengals (8-6) at Steelers (7-7), 1 p.m., Sunday

The Skinny: The Bengals have lost 10 of the past 12 meetings with the Steelers, including the one in October in Cincinnati. And quarterback Andy Dalton is winless again them (0-3). But, unlike the Steelers, who have lost four of their past five games, the Bengals have won five of their past six.

Prediction: Bengals, 23-21[/color][/size]

[color=#565555][font=Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=1][url="http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/51f4c905-582f-43b5-92c1-6bd224c57c10/?source=twitter"]http://sulia.com/cha...?source=twitter[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356014937' post='1195792']
steelers beat writer.

[size=3][color=#565555]][b]It's not looking good for Steelers, Ravens, Browns. My weekly NFL predictions....[/b][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#565555]]Cincinnati Bengals (8-6) at Steelers (7-7), 1 p.m., Sunday

The Skinny: The Bengals have lost 10 of the past 12 meetings with the Steelers, including the one in October in Cincinnati. And quarterback Andy Dalton is winless again them (0-3). But, unlike the Steelers, who have lost four of their past five games, the Bengals have won five of their past six.

Prediction: Bengals, 23-21[/color][/size]

[color=#565555][font=Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif'][size=1][url="http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/51f4c905-582f-43b5-92c1-6bd224c57c10/?source=twitter"]http://sulia.com/cha...?source=twitter[/url][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I don't think they'll win the game if it's that close, hate to say. That guy's skinny is totally irrelevant and inane. I hope he's right, obviously, but I'm curious as to why he thinks that besides the fact that the Bengals have won more games in the past 5 weeks.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1356025316' post='1195858']
I don't think they'll win the game if it's that close, hate to say. That guy's skinny is totally irrelevant and inane. I hope he's right, obviously, but I'm curious as to why he thinks that besides the fact that the Bengals have won more games in the past 5 weeks.
[/quote]

Because if you have been watching the Steelers they have not looked good in any phase of the game for a little over a month now. The defense which was keeping them afloat is starting to look it's age and is injury riddled.. There are no guarantees, but the quality of football being played by the teams is indeed relevant. The only thing inane is talking about past records.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1356083432' post='1196003']

Because if you have been watching the Steelers they have not looked good in any phase of the game for a little over a month now. The defense which was keeping them afloat is starting to look it's age and is injury riddled.. There are no guarantees, but the quality of football being played by the teams is indeed relevant. The only thing inane is talking about past records.
[/quote]

And that's all he talked about. That was my point. It was a lazy prediction. It's encouraging that somebody picked the Bengals, but he didn't have an explanation. Just records. Which doesn't seem to matter to all these "experts" picking the stealers.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1356215817' post='1196376']
And that's all he talked about. That was my point. It was a lazy prediction. It's encouraging that somebody picked the Bengals, but he didn't have an explanation. Just records. Which doesn't seem to matter to all these "experts" picking the stealers.
[/quote]

I meant past records as in from different seasons. How well each team has been playing the last half of the season is entirely relevant. The Bengals have been hot, whereas the Steelers have been regressing.

Archived