Dalton question

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1357843240' post='1207010']
Greshams level of suckitude is anything but petty, and it too has lasted far longer than 5 days.

As for providing a link, no. I'm simply not going to waste my time searching for a clip I've already seen multiple times....especially when it's still airing in heavy rotation on Showtime.
[/quote]

thank you for making my point for me.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357843468' post='1207012']
thank you for making my point for me.
[/quote]

That's just the thing. You can't and won't have a point worth making until you've seen the clip.

Until then all you can do is talk at length, and in very serious almost motherly tones, about my reaction to a clip you haven't even seen yet.

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1357844753' post='1207018']
That's just the thing. You can't and won't have a point worth making until you've seen the clip.

Until then all you can do is talk at length, and in very serious almost motherly tones, about my reaction to a clip you haven't even seen yet.
[/quote]

as you will continue to talk at length about something you can't back up. :shrug:

and my POINT has nothing to do with the video. You seemed to have missed that. Re-read some posts. The point is still airing in heavy rotation in this thread. :)

Gresh had a great year by Bengals TE standards. But his inconsistencies and early game drops are embarrassing.

I could envision a scenario where he has an even better year next season and I still don't want to re-sign him because he's too inconsistent to be a major factor in the offense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357844922' post='1207020']
and my POINT has nothing to do with the video. You seemed to have missed that. :)
[/quote]

Missed it?

Am I not making fun of the way you continue to judge my reaction to something you haven't seen yet? Or am I supposed to beleive you can properly judge the reactions of others to things you have absolutely no knowledge of?

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1357845110' post='1207022']
Gresh had a great year by Bengals TE standards. But his inconsistencies and early game drops are embarrassing.

I could envision a scenario where he has an even better year next season and I still don't want to re-sign him because he's too inconsistent to be a major factor in the offense.
[/quote]

a fair and objective post free of grudges. :)

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1357845531' post='1207026']
Missed it?

Am I not making fun of the way you continue to judge my reaction to something you haven't seen yet? Or am I supposed to beleive you can properly judge the reactions of others to things you have absolutely no knowledge of?
[/quote]

Point

Your head

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357842491' post='1207007']
no one's denying that. There's a difference between noting a guys weaknesses and actually holding an actual grudge against them. Some of the petty grudges that go here whether they're Gresham, Dalton, Maualuga, Hall, Hawkins, etc..(in the past Palmer, TJ) they're quite pathetic. Some people here act like certain players mugged their sister in an ally.
[/quote]

Well, to be fair, Maualuga is pretty worthy of scorn. He's not inconsistent. He just sucks (the life out of this defense).

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1357846713' post='1207035']
Well, to be fair, Maualuga is pretty worthy of scorn. He's not inconsistent. He just sucks (the life out of this defense).
[/quote]

worthy of scorn when he screws up, sure, they all are. Petty grudges against people you've never met, not so much.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357846820' post='1207036']
worthy of scorn when he screws up, sure, they all are. Petty grudges against people you've never met, not so much.
[/quote]

List the posters who you think have "petty grudges" against people they've never met. Let them defend themselves if they actually have a petty grudge or the "grudge" is that the player(s) don't play well enough for our favorite football team.

I criticize Dalton often. He deserves it. I have no grudge against the guy. I want to see him succeed.....extremely. But when he doesn't play well, which is too often for my liking, I criticize him. He could go on to a different team and I would have zero opinions towards him because he doesn't impact my favorite team any longer.

I think you're confusing frustration in fans with them having grudges. Seriously, who's life is such that they would have a grudge against an athlete for not performing how the person feels the athlete should perform.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357847704' post='1207041']
I think you're confusing frustration in fans with them having grudges. Seriously, who's life is such that they would have a grudge against an athlete for not performing how the person feels the athlete should perform.
[/quote]

again, a difference between frustration when they screw up, and using past mistakes to bash a guy, even when they are doing well.

Some people just don't like certain players and hold it against them no matter what they do. I don't think I'm stating anything that is exactly a revelation to anyone who posts here regularly.

I don't think it's so much personal grudges as it is fan expectations. Gresham should be dominant and he isn't. He's shown flashes but is too inconsistent. AJ and Gresham should be unstoppable. I think 1181 might be correct when he posted that the batted balls are getting in Daltons head. He didn't seem to have the poise in the pocket this year that most of us raved about last year. This year he panicked when the pocket broke down. Something has changed somewhere to cause him to lose confidence in the pocket.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357847891' post='1207042']
again, a different between frustration when they screw up, and using past mistakes to bash a guy, even when they are doing well.

Some people just don't like certain players and hold it against them no matter what they do. I don't think I'm stating anything that is exactly a revelation to anyone who posts here regularly.
[/quote]

I post here regularly. Maybe I just dont pay attention enough to be able to single them out. Maybe I don't give a shit. Maybe you're referring to me haha. Don't know but I can't ever recall when I read someone's post and thought they had an irrational beef with a player. Doesn't make sense to me....we all root on the same 53 players each Sunday and WANT them to succeed enormously.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1357848168' post='1207045']
I don't think it's so much personal grudges as it is fan expectations. Gresham should be dominant and he isn't. He's shown flashes but is too inconsistent. AJ and Gresham should be unstoppable. I think 1181 might be correct when he posted that the batted balls are getting in Daltons head. He didn't seem to have the poise in the pocket this year that most of us raved about last year. This year he panicked when the pocket broke down. Something has changed somewhere to cause him to lose confidence in the pocket.
[/quote]

I think some of it has to do with what Zampese is coaching Dalton to do. You don't regress instincts this rapidly. Last year his pocket awareness was a positive....this year....HUGE negative. A la Carson. Common denominator.....Zampese.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357848199' post='1207046']
I post here regularly. Maybe I just dont pay attention enough to be able to single them out. Maybe I don't give a shit. Maybe you're referring to me haha. Don't know but I can't ever recall when I read someone's post and thought they had an irrational beef with a player. [b]Doesn't make sense to me....we all root on the same 53 players each Sunday and WANT them to succeed enormously.[/b]
[/quote]

it shouldn't make sense to anyone, which makes it all the more sad that it exists. :)

(for clarity sake, I'm not saying anyone cheers when a specific player fails, rather that feelings about a certain player leads to an unobjective viewpoint.)

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357848342' post='1207047']
I think some of it has to do with what Zampese is coaching Dalton to do. You don't regress instincts this rapidly. Last year his pocket awareness was a positive....this year....HUGE negative. A la Carson. Common denominator.....Zampese.
[/quote]

IMO I don't think its so much coached out of him. Like OHB said in reference to my past post, I think the two biggest issues are mentally worrying passes will get tipped (even if they likely won't), and Gruden's request to hold the ball longer. Early on in the year he was getting the ball out quick. They weren't necessarily getting deep downfield, but they were getting high percentage looks. Gruden asked him to hold the ball longer after the first pittsburgh game, and since then it should be no surprise that the sacks have gone up.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357848526' post='1207049']
IMO I don't think its so much coached out of him. Like OHB said in reference to my past post, I think the two biggest issues are mentally worrying passes will get tipped (even if they likely won't), and Gruden's request to hold the ball longer. Early on in the year he was getting the ball out quick. They weren't necessarily getting deep downfield, but they were getting high percentage looks. Gruden asked him to hold the ball longer after the first pittsburgh game, and since then it should be no surprise that the sacks have gone up.
[/quote]

Sure, sacks have gone up but last year, when he faced pressure, he didn't freak out like he does now. Like Carson did after awhile. Very well could be attributed to what you guys are suggesting....makes sense as well.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357848730' post='1207051']
Sure, sacks have gone up but last year, when he faced pressure, he didn't freak out like he does now. Like Carson did after awhile. Very well could be attributed to what you guys are suggesting....makes sense as well.
[/quote]

yea I just think he's gotta 1) trust himself that the pass isn't likely to get tipped (IMO this is a big part of why they haven't attacked the middle of the field lately) and 2) find a happy medium of when to get it out quick and when to hold out for a bigger play. He's got to develop that feel.

I also think its a matter of the coaches needing to take pressure off of him too. 34 pass plays to 12 runs is ridiculous, no matter who your QB is, and its not like the running game wasn't working. They could also roll him out more to clear away defenders who could tip passes, run screens, draws and slants to slow down pass rushes, etc...

There are definitely things Dalton has to fix with himself, but IMO the coaches did a bad job late in the season of putting him in successful situations.

All this talk of grudges and agendas is stupid, this is lets categorize a certian aspect of the tone of people's posts so that they can attempt to delegitimize their complaints. Completely obvious. Thing is though it doesnt delegitimize anything.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1357849451' post='1207056']
All this talk of grudges and agendas is stupid, this is lets categorize a certian aspect of the tone of people's posts so that they can attempt to delegitimize their complaints. Completely obvious. Thing is though it doesnt delegitimize anything.
[/quote]

I've had that thought as well...."discredit the messenger so the message falls on deaf ears" .... Not sure that's the case but I have though it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357849204' post='1207053']
yea I just think he's gotta 1) trust himself that the pass isn't likely to get tipped (IMO this is a big part of why they haven't attacked the middle of the field lately) and 2) find a happy medium of when to get it out quick and when to hold out for a bigger play. He's got to develop that feel.

I also think its a matter of the coaches needing to take pressure off of him too. 34 pass plays to 12 runs is ridiculous, no matter who your QB is, and its not like the running game wasn't working. They could also roll him out more to clear away defenders who could tip passes, run screens, draws and slants to slow down pass rushes, etc...

There are definitely things Dalton has to fix with himself, but IMO the coaches did a bad job late in the season of putting him in successful situations.
[/quote]

I know I like to bash Dalton but it's never the case where it's solely the fault of one party when it comes to a failing offense in the NFL. Dalton shares blame, as do the coaches and Dalton's teammates. Sure, some components within the assembly can be given more blame but it's a systematic failure when the offense does what it did over the past 6 wks or so.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357850219' post='1207061']
I've had that thought as well...."discredit the messenger so the message falls on deaf ears" .... Not sure that's the case but I have though it.
[/quote]

Oh I compltely believe its the case.

Some people like to eat their food with a gold fork and embroidered napkin that they wipe the corners of their mouth with and they get offended when others eat ribs with their hands and wipe their mouths off with the table cloth and then proceed to burp afterwords.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1357851124' post='1207071']
Oh I compltely believe its the case.

Some people like to eat their food with a gold fork and embroidered napkin that they wipe the corners of their mouth with and they get offended when others eat ribs with their hands and wipe their mouths off with the table cloth and then proceed to burp afterwords.
[/quote]

You ate next to that asshole too?

Archived