Post Senior Bowl Mock

Jason

1. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas - A younger, better Chris Crocker. One of the better cover safeties in the draft

2. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson - A playmaker opposite AJ, Gives the Bengals a great young WR group.

2. Kasheem Greene, OLB, Rutgers - One of the better cover LBs in the draft.

3. Christine Michael, RB, TA&M - Love his combination of size speed and footwork.

4. William Gholston, DE, MSU - Adds to the rotation. Has good upside.

5. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU - Takes Roland's place in the near future. Has the upside to eventually be Whit's replacement. Since he was a TE, he could actually catch a pass on the tackle eligible plays we use Roland in now.

6. Robbie Rouse, RB, FS - Adds a little speed to the backfield.

6. Shamarko Thomas S, Syracuse - Another option for depth at safety

7. (comp) Travis Howard, CB, OSU - Solid tackler and not bad in coverage. Not sure why CBS has him this low, but if he's there, I take him.

I think everyone is missing the fact that our oline is a real issue....

It was really exposed during the Philly game and struggled the rest of the year... Coincidentally that is right about when Cook came back...

I think we need at least one interior lineman and if we can't resign Smith a right tackle....

The best teams in the league protect the QB and have above average offensive lines..

I truly believe offensive line has to be our top offseason priority..

The fact of the matter is, no matter what WE think, the team does not seem to think the line is an issue.

And I believe that given experience for Boling and Zeitler, health for Cook, and another year of continuity, that our O-line has a bright future as currently constituted.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1360011986' post='1213034']
I just looked at the sacks, Andy was sacked the third most in the league. Thought that was pretty telling. Line may not be a bad thing.
[/quote]

Not to bash Andy, but I'd be willing to bet 8-10 of those "sacks" were him running out of bounds a yard or two behind the LOS instead of throwing the ball away. With that being said, I do thing LG and or C need to be upgraded.

The biggest need on this team are LB, S, RB and interior line, not necessarily in that order. I'm hoping we go BPA at those positions during the first four rounds and we should be in good shape.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1360010332' post='1213026']
I think everyone is missing the fact that our oline is a real issue....

It was really exposed during the Philly game and struggled the rest of the year... Coincidentally that is right about when Cook came back...

I think we need at least one interior lineman and if we can't resign Smith a right tackle....

The best teams in the league protect the QB and have above average offensive lines..

I truly believe offensive line has to be our top offseason priority..
[/quote]

I think a fair portion of the sacks are on Dalton not scrambling well (Gruden has said as much). Also 3 of the 6 sacks in the Philly game were on Boling, who was playing with the flu.

IMO in general, Boling and Zeitler wore down late in the season, playing more snaps than they ever had in their career. According to Alexander, Cook was only 85% in the final weeks. Doesn't excuse them playing him, but does give you an indication that he wasn't at his best (and even at 85% he was pretty good).

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1360011986' post='1213034']
I just looked at the sacks, Andy was sacked the third most in the league. Thought that was pretty telling. Line may not be a bad thing.
[/quote]
Stats I read from NFL.com had Bengals at 6th most. Ravens only gave up 8 less. Experience, health and continuity drastically improves this line.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1360013001' post='1213037']
The fact of the matter is, no matter what WE think, the team does not seem to think the line is an issue.

And I believe that given [b]experience [/b]for Boling and Zeitler, [b]health [/b]for Cook, and another year of [b]continuity[/b], that our O-line has a bright future as currently constituted.
[/quote]
[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1360013865' post='1213049']
Stats I read from NFL.com had Bengals at 6th most. Ravens only gave up 8 less. [b]Experience, health and continuity[/b] drastically improves this line.
[/quote]

Great minds think alike.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1360013865' post='1213049']
Stats I read from NFL.com had Bengals at 6th most. Ravens only gave up 8 less. [b]Experience, health and continuity drastically improves this line.[/b]
[/quote]

yeah so would a better C

The team should expect to re-sign Andre Smith. We could make him the highest paid RT in the league without increasing his cap number from what it was in 2012. If Andre leaves, then Wharton is probably the fallback, then maybe Roland, then Collins, then Boling, then a rookie. My view is that Collins or Boling don't get enough push in the run game to play RT. Conceivably we could get Whitworth at RT with Collins at LT. But the simplest thing would be to put Wharton at RT since he's played there in the past and Boling was adequate at LG. We do need to upgrade from Cook at C. He's average and above average centers aren't that hard to find. We could draft Travis Fredericks in the middle rounds. Robinson wasn't bad when he played except his first game vs the jumbo NTs.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1360087409' post='1213178']
The team should expect to re-sign Andre Smith. We could make him the highest paid RT in the league without increasing his cap number from what it was in 2012. If Andre leaves, then Wharton is probably the fallback, then maybe Roland, then Collins, then Boling, then a rookie. My view is that Collins or Boling don't get enough push in the run game to play RT. Conceivably we could get Whitworth at RT with Collins at LT. But the simplest thing would be to put Wharton at RT since he's played there in the past and Boling was adequate at LG. We do need to upgrade from Cook at C. He's average and above average centers aren't that hard to find. We could draft Travis Fredericks in the middle rounds. Robinson wasn't bad when he played except his first game vs the jumbo NTs.
[/quote]
I think Robinson replaces Cook as the upgrade in the next couple of seasons. Fredericks is in the running for top center drafted and a 2nd round pick I'm guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived