Bengals start re-signing some guys (Peerman, Miles, Rey, Hawkins, Huber, Harris, Nugent, Gillberry, Geathers, Maualuga, Jones, Roland, Tate, Quinn)

That smells like a coach or player dropping that info on a reporter vs. speculation.    Still it is an excuse.     I heard he was down at Bromley Ludlow Yatch club boozing it up over the weekend.  

For a guy with his past and his out of shape habits in the begining of the year that's not good eventhough it's a one off situation that could be made into a bigger deal than what it really is. 

doesn't look like an issue.  On a side note, Harrison looks like a monster next to him despite being shorter and roughly the same weight.

460x.jpg

doesn't look like an issue.  On a side note, Harrison looks like a monster next to him despite being shorter and roughly the same weight.

460x.jpg

Wouldn't a shorter guy with the same weight be thicker/stouter looking?  And I wouldn't say he looks like a "monster" next to him unless you are talking about the muscles on his head.   Which TBH is kind of strange....

Wouldn't a shorter guy with the same weight be thicker/stouter looking?  And I wouldn't say he looks like a "monster" next to him unless you are talking about the muscles on his head.   Which TBH is kind of strange....

His arms and legs look a good deal thicker to me. That may just be the angles they are facing, but I don't think so.

His arms and legs look a good deal thicker to me. That may just be the angles they are facing, but I don't think so.

His lower legs look a good deal thicker.  I think the upper body on Rey just looks a little longer, which is what you would expect.  What effect remains is perspective IMO.  I would say Rey's lower arms are thicker as well, which decreases the contrast between his upper and lower arms, and i think that adds to the effect of Harrison's upper arms looking thicker.

• 3 weeks later...

Clements had high praise for #Bengals. He'd love to be back but doesn't know if that will happen. Sounds like no contract talks right now

DB Nate Clements admits he didn't think new CBA would lead to such a rough free agency period for some veterans. He's training 2 play in '13

That's kinda the opposite of what most people say about Rey...just sayin

I've never seen a problem with his motor. For me it's always been running to the wrong hole or being a step late to read something so he is trailing the guy who catches the ball.

I could be wrong...just sayin.

I've never seen a problem with his motor. For me it's always been running to the wrong hole or being a step late to read something so he is trailing the guy who catches the ball.

Agreed, I have never questioned his effort, but his execution has been inconsistent.

Wont help his instincts.

I don't think his animosity or energy are his problem.

its exactly his problem. Maualuga's instincts aren't the issue.  His lack of aggressiveness in attacking the line of scrimmage is his biggest issue.  His reads for the most part are fine.  He just doesn't attack them.  He lets the play come to him, and usually ends up getting washed out by an olineman in the process.

If all Harrison does is teach Maualuga to play "balls-to-the-wall" every play, Maualuga will be a much improved player.  

its exactly his problem. Maualuga's instincts aren't the issue.  His lack of aggressiveness in attacking the line of scrimmage is his biggest issue.  His reads for the most part are fine.  He just doesn't attack them.

How can you say his instincts arent the issue and he is reading the play right if he isn't moving to attack that hole? Are you reading his mind?

I see him attack the wrong hole and not being able to cover receivers all the time. I don't see any problem with energy or agressiveness. If anything he was so agressive that he went into the wrong hole.

I do. He hesitates at a level unknown to Harrison. How many times has he waited on the back instead of attacking the back?

Harrison's role is a bit simplified in comparison.

How can you say his instincts arent the issue and he is reading the play right if he isn't moving to attack that hole? Are you reading his mind?

I see him attack the wrong hole and not being able to cover receivers all the time. I don't see any problem with energy or agressiveness. If anything he was so agressive that he went into the wrong hole.

Harrison's role is a bit simplified in comparison.

because its possible to watch a player read a play correctly but not aggressively attack the ball carrier.

Sorry I'm not saying its his motor I'm agreeing with 1181 that he sometimes plays a little passive and lets the play come to him instead of attacking. He knows where to be and he gets to the right spots just doesn't have the aggressiveness to fill that hole and lets the blocker get to him instead of hitting the blocker. I don't think instincts are really the issue it's what he does once he is in position.

If Harrison helps him be more aggressive it will help his weaknesses.

Sorry I'm not saying its his motor I'm agreeing with 1181 that he sometimes plays a little passive and lets the play come to him instead of attacking. He knows where to be and he gets to the right spots just doesn't have the aggressiveness to fill that hole and lets the blocker get to him instead of hitting the blocker. I don't think instincts are really the issue it's what he does once he is in position.

If Harrison helps him be more aggressive it will help his weaknesses.

He will agressively run out of the play.

I don't often see him attacking the wrong gap. I mostly see him not attacking a gap at all.

So lets say that the case (and this is meant for a reply to everyone) doesn't this still indicate that he isn't reading it. Usually people who take too long to attack it's because they are not reading it fast enough.

Only way it will help is if he beats the fuck out of Rey every time he overruns a play.

NOICE!

is this missing a ninja?

Nope, I am wondering how you can tell he reads the play correctly if he doesn't react to the play and agressively move forward to stop it. I guess he could move laterally instead of forward but, that might call into question if he really read it.

Nope, I am wondering how you can tell he reads the play correctly if he doesn't react to the play and agressively move forward to stop it. I guess he could move laterally instead of forward but, that might call into question if he really read it.

I'm not sure we should confuse analyzing a play with rocket science.  

It's not terribly difficult to tell if a player reads a play correctly, even if said player isn't aggressive in reacting to what he saw.

Archived