Bengals start re-signing some guys (Peerman, Miles, Rey, Hawkins, Huber, Harris, Nugent, Gillberry, Geathers, Maualuga, Jones, Roland, Tate, Quinn)

Peerman extends into Bengals' plans

Posted 7 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden says he wouldn't mind adding some speed to his backfield, but he's also kept one of his own in the conversation when discussing running back and special teamer supremeCedric Peerman.

On Thursday the club saw enough sizzle to agree to what is believed to be a two-year deal with Peerman, whom had been ticketed to be a restricted free agent with a salary of $1.3 million.

With free agency starting Saturday (deals can't be signed and announced until Tuesday), the Bengals also on Thursday tendered their other restricted free agent for $1.3 million, safety Jeromy Miles, as well as two exclusive rights free agents at $550,000 apiece in wide receiver Andrew Hawkins and linebackerVincent Rey. Peerman's salary cap number figures to be in the $1.3 million range as the Bengals doled out about $3.7 million in cap costs Thursday.

“All four of these guys have made significant contributions to us reaching the playoffs each of the last two years,” said head coach Marvin Lewis in a news release “They are players we want to retain, and this (tender process) is a step in that direction.”

As the Bengals' two other backup running backs head into free agency,Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard, and a draft looming where they could pick two backs since they could have many as 10 draft choices, Peerman is now in the plans for the next two years. The deal would also indicate he'll get a longer look from scrimmage.

After carrying the ball five times in the previous two seasons, the 5-10, 211-pound Peerman took it 36 times last year.  His career average of five yards per carry balloons to 6.7 when counting last year's two runs for 80 yards off fake punts.

It is as punter Kevin Huber's personal protector as well as an active tackler (36 career teams tackles) where Peerman has made a huge niche on a special teams unit that finished first last season when combining their rankings in the NFL's 10 major special teams categories.

Peerman, Miles, Rey, and Hawkins all played big roles in the effort and it's believed the Bengals are also trying to secure other core special teamers before they become free agents, such as Huber and long snapper Clark Harris.

Miles was second on the special teams last year and he had a career-best 15 tackles on defense. Hawkins was the No. 1 slot receiver and had the third most catches (51) and receiving yards (533) on the team while scoring four touchdowns.  Rey played in every game with one start and while making 18 tackles on defense he tied for third with 12 tackles on special teams.

As an RFA Miles may negotiate with other teams but the Bengals have the right to match any offer. Since Miles was undrafted, the Bengals wouldn't receive any compensation if they didn't match. The deadline for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet is April 19. Any RFA who has not signed an offer sheet by that date has his 2013 NFL rights revert to his 2012 club.

As exclusive-rights players, Hawkins and Rey have the option of signing the tender or negotiating a longer contract with the Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Peerman-extends-into-Bengals-plans/e26da1c7-6959-4f9d-8f2e-fefbea5a5c0c?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

really?

he didnt do much and was injured IIRC. not exactly a large value guy.

Well I wasn't expecting to break the bank on him or anything but he's a 3rd(?) year player with the second most catches on the team, who also made a name for himself nationally this year. I'd expect a contract in the 1.5-2 mil per year ballpark.

5ypc, 4.34 forty..  We need to draft 2 RB's because.. Why?

Pass blocking needs work.  So can't stay on field for all 3 downs.  Team want's someone in draft who can pass block at least.  After all, that's a prerequisite of Gruden's offense.  Also, injury prone in the past when utilized too much as a running back.  Team needs to protect him by limiting his carries and keeping him on ST's

Wow, I really thought Hawks value would be higher. No complaints from me though.

It's the standard RFA designation for an undrafted guy.  The Bengals don't set the price.  Technically they could have given him a higher designation, but I'm guessing they'll match any offer another team would attempt to give him.  Given that the Bengals have the most cap space, no team is going to get into a bidding war with the Bengals on a RFA.

EDIT:  Check that, Hawk is an Exclusive Rights guy, so he can't negotiate with other teams.

extended article from above.

Bengals running back Cedric Peerman, who has emerged to quietly fill Reggie Kelly's role as the club's locker room spiritual leader, doesn't have much time to savor his contract extension.

peerman130120_440.jpg
Cedric Peerman

Updated: 6 p.m.

The man called "The Running Reverend" isn't going to start walking now.

Bengals running back Cedric Peerman, who has emerged to quietly fill Reggie Kelly's role as the club's locker room spiritual leader, doesn't have much time to savor his contract extension that he signed Thursday. He's headed to Panama on Monday on a weeklong mission trip with Athletes in Action. Like last year's trip, he'll be taking as many of his old clothes as he can fit into his bags to donate to youth. So there could soon be a few No. 30s in stripes soon in Panama City.

"There's a No. 30 somewhere in Costa Rica," Peerman said of last year's trip. "Just making sure some people are going to have a nice Christmas."

The Bengals wanted to make sure they kept their No. 30 around for a few years, so with Peerman set to be a one-year restricted free agent it's believed they reached a two-year deal with him.

With free agency starting Saturday (deals can't be signed and announced until Tuesday), the Bengals also on Thursday tendered their other restricted free agent for $1.3 million, safety Jeromy Miles, as well as two exclusive rights free agents at $550,000 apiece in wide receiver Andrew Hawkins and linebackerVincent Rey. Peerman's salary cap number figures to be in the $1.3 million range as the Bengals doled out about $3.7 million in cap costs Thursday.

All four of these guys have made significant contributions to us reaching the playoffs each of the last two years,” head coach Marvin Lewis said in a news release. “They are players we want to retain, and this (tender process) is a step in that direction.”

The benefit for Peerman is he gets an immediate bonus along with a salary instead of just a restricted free agent's $1.3 million salary for this season. The significance for the Bengals is the number counting against the salary cap is still about $1.3 million, but it also indicates Peerman is in their plans for the next few years. If not as their third down back or a situational back, then he'll continue to be a core special-teamer for a unit that finished first last season when combining its rankings in the NFL's 10 major special teams categories.

"I've been here three years and it's been a great three years for me. To be able to be signed (for multi) years, I'm spechless over it," said Peerman, who has a certificate to minister in his home state of Virginia.

"That was one of my prayers. Longevity with one team was one of my goals. Just to be with one organization is awesome to me."

Peerman's NFL career began on the North team the Bengals coached in the 2009 Senior Bowl, but the Ravens drafted him in the sixth round and he bounced to Cleveland and then Detroit without playing in a game his rookie year before he settled in Cincinnati in the spring of 2010.

After carrying the ball five times in the previous two seasons, the 5-10, 211-pound Peerman took it 36 times last year. His career average of five yards per carry balloons to 6.7 when counting last year's two runs for 80 yards off fake punts. He has 36 career special teams tackles after nine this season and is the highly-regarded personal protector for punter Kevin Huber.

But Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden has said this offseason he wouldn't mind adding some speed to his backfield and he's kept Peerman in the conversation.

As Cincinnati's two other backup running backs, Bernard Scott andBrian Leonard, head into free agency and a draft looming where the Bengals could pick two backs since they could have many as 10 draft choices, Peerman and No. 1 back BenJarvus Green-Ellis are in the fold for the next few years.

But Peerman knows all about roster competition since he's won his roster spot three straight years with solid work in the preseason games.

"I've prayed and wanted more of a role on offense and last year I got a little bit of a role there," Peerman said. "This is a new year and each year brings in new guys and the same guys come back better and they come back younger. I'd love to have some kind of role like that, but I want to fit the team the best way I can. I just have to put my work in and hope for the best."

Peerman, Miles, Rey and Hawkins all played big roles in the effort, and it's believed the Bengals are also trying to secure other core special-teamers before they become free agents, such as Huber and long snapper Clark Harris.

Miles was second on special teams last year with 15 tackles and had a career-best 15 tackles on defense. Hawkins was the No. 1 slot receiver and had the third-most catches (51) and receiving yards (533) while scoring four touchdowns. Rey played in every game with one start, and while making 18 tackles on defense he tied for third with 12 tackles on special teams.

As an RFA, Miles may negotiate with other teams but the Bengals have the right to match any offer. Since Miles was undrafted, the Bengals won't receive any compensation if they don't match. The deadline for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet is April 19. Any RFA who has not signed an offer sheet by then has his 2013 NFL rights revert to his club.

As exclusive-rights players, Hawkins and Rey have the option of signing the tender or negotiating a longer contract with the Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Peermans-resolve-pays-off/e26da1c7-6959-4f9d-8f2e-fefbea5a5c0c

Pass blocking needs work.  So can't stay on field for all 3 downs.  Team want's someone in draft who can pass block at least.  After all, that's a prerequisite of Gruden's offense.  Also, injury prone in the past when utilized too much as a running back.  Team needs to protect him by limiting his carries and keeping him on ST's

I'm not saying you're wrong but where are you coming to the conclusion on pass blocking and injury?   He is the last line of defense on the punting unit.  I realize that is somewhat different than a RB blocking in pass pro, but you still need to be able to block a guy in space.  And last year he had an ankle injury at the end of the season, but has he been hurt in his other 2 seasons?

And good for Peerman.  I would have liked to see him utillized a little more last season.  He was very productive when given the chance.  

That makes sense, but they keep talking about a change-of-pace "speed" back which seems like a role Peerman could fill.

Plus, they just signed him to a 2-year extension, so with BJGE still under contract I guess that means they want to stay with 4 RB's on the roster?

It's important for Gruden to have a diverse stable of RB's to not give the ball to in crucial situations.

That makes sense, but they keep talking about a change-of-pace "speed" back which seems like a role Peerman could fill.

Plus, they just signed him to a 2-year extension, so with BJGE still under contract I guess that means they want to stay with 4 RB's on the roster?

It's important for Gruden to have a diverse stable of RB's to not give the ball to in crucial situations.

I dont think Peerman can fit that role. I dont think he has shown the abilities to really be a good catcher out of the backfield, be used in the passing game, break big runs outside of fake plays. I like peerman as my 4th RB, but hes not the guy we are looking for as far as being the home run threat, receiving threat out of the backfield, change of pace back, etc.

I dont think Peerman can fit that role. I dont think he has shown the abilities to really be a good catcher out of the backfield, be used in the passing game, break big runs outside of fake plays. I like peerman as my 4th RB, but hes not the guy we are looking for as far as being the home run threat, receiving threat out of the backfield, change of pace back, etc.

I think he caught the ball well out of the backfield, granted it was typically late in games they were losing and the defense was allowing them. That may say something about his route running ability, but he looked fluid catching the ball.

I think he caught the ball well out of the backfield, granted it was typically late in games they were losing and the defense was allowing them. That may say something about his route running ability, but he looked fluid catching the ball.

Your take on his blocking ability?  From last year I thought Leonard was the guy who seemed to drop off in that area, whiffing more than I recall from previous seasons.  

If they do keep 4 there is nothing saying Scott and Lenord would be back

Your take on his blocking ability?  From last year I thought Leonard was the guy who seemed to drop off in that area, whiffing more than I recall from previous seasons.  

honestly can't recall off hand.  With the pass catching, I'm just remembering the Cleveland game where they were down I think 17 and Cleveland was giving them dumpoffs left and right.  He ended up with 8 catches for 76yds. Now granted, he only ended up with 9 catches on the season ( :lol: ) but I thought he looked capable in doing so.

I'd prefer them have him be the #3, but IMO he's show the ability to potentially be a solid #2.

honestly can't recall off hand.  With the pass catching, I'm just remembering the Cleveland game where they were down I think 17 and Cleveland was giving them dumpoffs left and right.  He ended up with 8 catches for 76yds. Now granted, he only ended up with 9 catches on the season ( :lol: ) but I thought he looked capable in doing so.

You're welcome.

If they do keep 4 there is nothing saying Scott and Lenord would be back

Right, and I'd be surprised if either one is retained.  Point being that I thought they were only carrying 4 because Scott was so one-dimensional and Leonard was kinda picking up his slack.  Drafting 2 new ones with 2 already under contract would seem to indicate otherwise, though.

Archived