Bengals start re-signing some guys (Peerman, Miles, Rey, Hawkins, Huber, Harris, Nugent, Gillberry, Geathers, Maualuga, Jones, Roland, Tate, Quinn)

I'm not sure why you feel that there's "groupthink" associated with some of our more underwhelming players. Roland, Rey and Mays really aren't all that good, and neither is Tate. I tend to take the point of view that every team has marginal players as a result of the salary cap. You can't have pro-bowlers at every position. Still, every fan looks to upgrade. We can easily upgrade safety through the draft, for instance.

The reason I think there is group think on here, is because it exists. There are a certain group of posters that believe their opinions are worth more than everyone else's, and that anything contrary to their beliefs is sacrilege. When I say that if you're going to upgrade your line backing corp you don't replace your second best linebacker, that is treated as heresy, when it truly makes sense. You may try to find someone to move 2nd down to fourth or fifth, but you move out 6 not 2. I get so tired of the "he sucks, he's garbage" crowd, but then again, it may just be a reflection of their lives. I don't have that negative vibe philosophy, but as you well know, I do have that sarcastic barb attitude. I've tried to not use it as much, but if I think you're saying something stupid, I'm not adverse to pointing that shit out. Sorry.

The reason I think there is group think on here, is because it exists. There are a certain group of posters that believe their opinions are worth more than everyone else's, and that anything contrary to their beliefs is sacrilege. When I say that if you're going to upgrade your line backing corp you don't replace your second best linebacker, that is treated as heresy, when it truly makes sense. You may try to find someone to move 2nd down to fourth or fifth, but you move out 6 not 2. I get so tired of the "he sucks, he's garbage" crowd, but then again, it may just be a reflection of their lives. I don't have that negative vibe philosophy, but as you well know, I do have that sarcastic barb attitude. I've tried to not use it as much, but if I think you're saying something stupid, I'm not adverse to pointing that shit out. Sorry.

That funny if their is one person on here that thinks his opinion is always right it's you. Also you know nothing about any of our lives to say that people on here that think certain players aren't good reflexes on their own life. You are an idiot

That funny if their is one person on here that thinks his opinion is always right it's you. Also you know nothing about any of our lives to say that people on here that think certain players aren't good reflexes on their own life. You are an idiot

Well, thank you. I must have hit a soft spot, sorry.

By the way, it's "reflects".

It's easy to fix the entire preseason douchery syndrome:

Free agency period should have us sign all front-end quality players between the ages of 25-27, 3-deep at every position, for league minimum plus unreachable incentives, and have them smile broadly and praise Mike Brown when they do, as well as never have so much as a parking ticket on their record. Oh, and no beer or girls either.

Then draft every Top-10 college player in 7 rounds, and have them all be Pro Bowlers within the first two years. Well, maybe shorten that to the first two games, just to make sure.

If there are any diversions to any of the above...trade them for first round picks, cut them (and save all of the money because they never had a dime guaranteed) and...most importantly...move on.

Piece of cake!

That is some funny shit right there.

I think it also explains what's going on with Andre.  An agent not managing all of his clients well.  As much has been alluded to by Mike Brown that they're waiting at the negotiating table for Andre's agent to show up.

Newman's a smart guy.  Must have been at least a day or two for him finally to take to twitter about it.

so any hints to where he's headed?

dunno.  Oakland is likely offering a chance to start and more money (of which he's made over $50M in his career), but the Bengals offer a better chance to win but doesn't guarantee a starting spot.

Depends on if he'd rather win and sit or play and lose. He'd also probably have to play some special teams as a backup in Cincy.

Yep it sounds like Andre needs a new agent, and especially Newman.

what I don't get is why his agent is micro-managing.  CAA is a giant agency in both sports and entertainment.  As of 2008 they had 130 clients in the NFL alone.  Surely someone else at the agency can be doing some of the legwork on these deals.

what I don't get is why his agent is micro-managing.  CAA is a giant agency in both sports and entertainment.  As of 2008 they had 130 clients in the NFL alone.  Surely someone else at the agency can be doing some of the legwork on these deals.

Love the drama though. I hate lawyers and agents.

dunno.  Oakland is likely offering a chance to start and more money (of which he's made over $50M in his career), but the Bengals offer a better chance to win but doesn't guarantee a starting spot.

Depends on if he'd rather win and sit or play and lose. He'd also probably have to play some special teams as a backup in Cincy.

I think he has a good chance to start here. And as much as we are in nickel he'll play a lot anyway.

Perhaps implied with wanting more money, but I wonder if one of the things is also the number of years in the contract.  Maybe a 1year deal for the Bengals and 2 for Oakland.   IDK, just guessing. 

Just saw on NFL.Com that the Raiders are sniffing around Mike Jenkins, the Cowboys' CB who is a FA now. Don't know if that means anything since they need a lot of CB help, but it might suggest that Newman isn't going there.

That said, there are things I like better about Jenkins vs. Newman... He's younger and I think he's better in coverage. But he had a bad shoulder injury late in 2011 and that lingered into 2012, and he's a bit of a knucklehead, too. And Newman knows the D here and was pretty effective last fall.

Just saw on NFL.Com that the Raiders are sniffing around Mike Jenkins, the Cowboys' CB who is a FA now. Don't know if that means anything since they need a lot of CB help, but it might suggest that Newman isn't going there.

That said, there are things I like better about Jenkins vs. Newman... He's younger and I think he's better in coverage. But he had a bad shoulder injury late in 2011 and that lingered into 2012, and he's a bit of a knucklehead, too. And Newman knows the D here and was pretty effective last fall.

similarly, I'd rather have Huff over Newman, especially since the Ravens are pursuing him.

at the very least I'd like Huff in Dallas, so they pass on Vacarro, who is basically a 7yr younger version of Huff.

Archived