British guy impresses at regional combine - could get drafted

its the British version of Mathias Askew.

Not really, Askew lacked the drive to succeed.  This guy has it, going from unknown discuss thrower to no.5 in the world in the space of a year or two is no mean feat and getting selected for the olympics at the age of 21.  If he can apply himself the same way to the NFL he may surprise a lot of people I think.

Not really, Askew lacked the drive to succeed.  This guy has it, going from unknown discuss thrower to no.5 in the world in the space of a year or two is no mean feat and getting selected for the olympics at the age of 21.  If he can apply himself the same way to the NFL he may surprise a lot of people I think.

I didn't really mean it as a slight.  More of a "track and field guy" converting to football.  Askew started out as a shot putter that a football coach spotted.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000157950/Lawrence-Okoye-s-NFL-dream

Lawrence Okoye

6-6 304

4.70 40

10'7" Broad Jump

I know I'll be rooting for this guy.

...10-foot-5 broad jump and a 35-inch vertical jump at Super Combine.  Don't know how accurate this is but he seems like an athletic person.

All Yanks think Brits and Aussies are one of the same.  I feel insulted!

3 countries separated by a common language.

...10-foot-5 broad jump and a 35-inch vertical jump at Super Combine.  Don't know how accurate this is but he seems like an athletic person.

3 countries separated by a common language.

How can you be separated by something that you have in common? :)

All Yanks think Brits and Aussies are one of the same.  I feel insulted!

I was just being a goof!

I know the difference between Brits and Aussies. :)

He'd be the 3rd NFL Okoye that I'm aware of. Christian Okoye was a really good player. The Nigerian Nightmare... He was a load to tackle. Amobi Okoye, not so great.

Best of luck to him. I would love to see an expanded roster of international players in the NFL. Seems to me there have to be more NFL built dudes in the world than the international sports have a use for. Soccer, baseball, cycling, and even basketball tend to want different body types than the NFL.

And Christian Okoye was my favorite football player when I was a kid. Absolute shame my favorite team essentially ended his career.

How can you be separated by something that you have in common? :)

I've always found that statement odd myself.  Patton uttered it during WW2 when speaking about America and England but it is most commonly attributed to George Bernard Shaw (an Irishman).  The obvious commonality in English speaking nations should be their language but I have found that food and alcohol are usually better common denominators than language...  my 2 cents

I think he should stick to track and field, just sayin..the guys has never played the game before. Not trying to be a "hater" but it's more to playing football than testing well at a regional combine. He's never been in the "trenches" vs. other guys just as athletic trying to knock his block off....you know why they call it the trenches, because it's a war at the line of scrimmage.

I think he should stick to track and field, just sayin..the guys has never played the game before. Not trying to "hater" but it's more to playing football than testing well at a regional combine. He's never been in the "trenches" vs. other guys just as athletic trying to knock his block off....you know why they call it the trenches, because it's a war at the line of scrimmage.

So you don't think having played Rugby suggests he can handle a bit of rough 'n' tumble?

Him only being 21 is a plus. He will need to learn the game. Sit him on the practice squad for 2 years and he'll still only be a young 23 year old 2 year vet. He's a long shot but with that size and workout numbers he'll definitely get a shot.

So you don't think having played Rugby suggests he can handle a bit of rough 'n' tumble?

Most here probably have no real idea about the rigors of rugby... having played rugby myself, that leads me to believe he could handle anything thrown at him on the football field.

I didn't really mean it as a slight.  More of a "track and field guy" converting to football.  Askew started out as a shot putter that a football coach spotted.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Stacy Andrews. He was track and field only in college. I believe at Ole Miss. He was one of the better discus or shot put guys in college track and field.  A football coach saw him and convinced him to play his senior year of college and he started a few games along the OL. He was super raw but had elite measureables and the Bengals drafted him in the 4th round.

Askew played 3 or 4 years at MSU and was thought to be a potential 1st round pick but fell in part due to concerns about his back injury and in part due to concerns over his work ethic. Maybe I am just not remembering, but I don't remember anything about him being a track guy or having a unique story about converting to football late.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Stacy Andrews. He was track and field only in college. I believe at Ole Miss. He was one of the better discus or shot put guys in college track and field.  A football coach saw him and convinced him to play his senior year of college and he started a few games along the OL. He was super raw but had elite measureables and the Bengals drafted him in the 4th round.

Askew played 3 or 4 years at MSU and was thought to be a potential 1st round pick but fell in part due to concerns about his back injury and in part due to concerns over his work ethic. Maybe I am just not remembering, but I don't remember anything about him being a track guy or having a unique story about converting to football late.

yes, andrews, sorry.

You're correct. Andrews was a thrower at Ole Miss.

Askew was just an underachieving knucklehead.

The Brits and Aussies are all pommeys (Prisoners of her/his Royal Majesty)* to each other; it just depends on which island you think the prison is on.  As Yanks we should just sit back and chuckle.

of course this etymology is total rubbish but why let that stop us!?! 

Archived