Best way to buy carpet?? trying to save money...

GoBengals

I am not quite to the carpet point yet for my basement, but i am starting to plan on how exactly im going to pay for it...

I went to a local carpet place called carpet exchange, found some decent carpet, nothing fancy, and carpet + install was going to be $3,000-3500

which caught me a little by surprise.. i had over estimated the total amount needed, and the quote was $3,400, so im thinking 2900-3000 is probably more accurate..

i am probably only carpeting about 500sq feet.

I was thinking if I could get the brand and style ## maybe i could find the carpet wholesale or cheaper direct and buy it and then pay someone on the side to install it... maybe save $500 or so...

anyone ever done that? any ideas?

looked at lowes and home depot too, limited options and overprice carpet to make up for the $97 or $37 install specials...

so im guessing the price could be the same-ish there...

any advice or recommendations welcome...

I'm working on a house flip currently and got 966 sq ft of carpet and padding+install from home depot for less than $1200.

Did you go all the way to the back wall where they keep the less than 99 cents/sq ft carpet?

They didn't tell me about it, I just happened to walk by and see it.

I'm working on a house flip currently and got 966 sq ft of carpet and padding+install from home depot for less than $1200.

Did you go all the way to the back wall where they keep the less than 99 cents/sq ft carpet?

yea, there is cheap carpet, and if i were flipping i would just do that, but having just bought my house, im going to be putting up with the carpet for 20+ years, i had the cheaper carpet put in in the main living areas, and ist already turning to crap 3-4 years in.. i want a really nice high end carpet... just hoping to save money on the high end stuff... im going to revisit lowes and home depot.. see what i can pull off there..

also, if there is a menards nearby, they are currently doing an 11% rebate on the majority of their inventory.

no menards out this way, sadly..

I think you're on the right track by going to a local guy instead of the big box stores. Know any real estate agents? They usually know which carpet guys are the best.

no good ones, sadly, back in ohio i would be set, these situations are the worst part about moving, i know very little people outside of family and co workers.. ive been asking around, not much luck...

i actually ran by home depot this evening on my way home, i did see the section in the back, carpet from 67cents per sq foot to 99cents.. some decent looking carpet, the only ones i liked at my location was a few loop styles, which are a bit too dangerous with having kids and a cat, i could forsee  a bad run in the carpet pretty quickly..

i went through everyone f'n carpet they had, did some recalculating and have 4-5 options in the $2200-3000 range....

i can finance $1,000 through home depot, so the rest i need to come up with the cash for...

i really want to replace the carpet in the entire house... that would probably be 15-20k though...

Won't help you in Colorado... but we've done this two times.  We actually drove to Dalton, GA (where several carpet distributors are housed) and price shopped.

Worked well... we'd look at one place, get a written quote for the style we wanted and move to the next, and the next, etc. each time they'd one up the last place.

Long and short of it was we got Frieze carpet that sold retail $34.99 a square yard, shipped to our local freight dock, the heaviest pad they offer for free, etc. and it came down to something like $12.99 a square yard

We paid a carpet installer to pick it up at dock and install it and we saved a TON...  FWIW...  don't know if there is anything out there like that or not.

Won't help you in Colorado... but we've done this two times.  We actually drove to Dalton, GA (where several carpet distributors are housed) and price shopped.

Worked well... we'd look at one place, get a written quote for the style we wanted and move to the next, and the next, etc. each time they'd one up the last place.

Long and short of it was we got Frieze carpet that sold retail $34.99 a square yard, shipped to our local freight dock, the heaviest pad they offer for free, etc. and it came down to something like $12.99 a square yard

We paid a carpet installer to pick it up at dock and install it and we saved a TON...  FWIW...  don't know if there is anything out there like that or not.

that is a great idea... most carpet here is from dalton, ga as well, so no local version of that sadly. i am headed to orlando in october, but thats still a 6 hr deive each way.. great idea though..

there is a carpet mill outlet here has like 10 storeas in colorado, im hitting them next, just to get more pricing and perspective if anything..

I've never done it, but the carpet I just pulled up looked fairly easy to self install. May save some cash.

The carpet needs to be stretched during the install, The house I just bought, that was built in 2007, had poorly installed carpet, and I had to pay someone to come out and re-stretch it. Didn't look easy,

• 2 weeks later...

got the bid, estimate from home depot, i measured 582 sq ft of carpet i would need, they said 685, which is an acceptable amount of estimated "waste" for proper seems and everything... but then again the rooms were almost perfect for carpet...one is 12 ft wide, other is 15, both halls are less than 12 feet long so they can be cut wide wise off the roll, then one closet and a staircase..

so i am pondering grabbing a 10% off coupon, which are all over the place, then buying gift cards online at resellers or ebay that are 10% savings off the cards... earning myself 20% off the carpet.. which is looking like 300-500$ savings.. and i THINK i can get some good cash back on one of my cards to buy the gift cards with.. so kinda double/triple dip my discounts..

looks like its time to head back to home depot and pick 1-2 carpets and see what sort of deal I can work out with all of this...

i still need to paint the stairway walls, fill the crack joints in the concrete, and insulate the ceiling...and probably put the outer wall grid peices for the drop ceiling in before i pull the final trigger on the carpet...

each of which is a single day job... so with my days off, looking at 2 weeks, maybe 3... then usually carpet takes 2-3 weeks to order and schedule installation... so i am 2mo away from carpet...

so glad my family gives me nothing but lowes and home depot gift cards for holidays..

and i THINK i can get some good cash back on one of my cards to buy the gift cards with..

There used to be a Chase preloaded card that offered the discounts.  ( Can't think of the name and don't know if they still have it but I think you can check a lot easier than me ).  Buy it with your credit card at one of those home office stores ( Staples, etc...) and use it for your purchase of goods at Lowes.  Some of the Lowes ( Depending upon who you give the coupons to at the store ) will even allow the doubling of discounts.  I did on my lawn mower a few years back ( 10 % mil + 10 % movers coupon ).  I don't know if it mattered or not but I also had a commercial account and most of my purchases were done at the commercial desk.  I think at the time by opening one up a person received 10 % off on their purchase ( at the time it required a minimum deposit of something like 100 which if not used is mailed back to you in the form of a check) and that 10 % was authorized for doubling.

P.S. Thanks for sharing the idea of resale gift cards.  Is there a safe place to order these from ?

Just a couple of ideas to throw out there.  Enjoy your new carpet.

Home Depot's card also I believe is still no interest for 12 months from the date of purchase.

There used to be a Chase preloaded card that offered the discounts.  ( Can't think of the name and don't know if they still have it but I think you can check a lot easier than me ).  Buy it with your credit card at one of those home office stores ( Staples, etc...) and use it for your purchase of goods at Lowes.  Some of the Lowes ( Depending upon who you give the coupons to at the store ) will even allow the doubling of discounts.  I did on my lawn mower a few years back ( 10 % mil + 10 % movers coupon ).  I don't know if it mattered or not but I also had a commercial account and most of my purchases were done at the commercial desk.  I think at the time by opening one up a person received 10 % off on their purchase ( at the time it required a minimum deposit of something like 100 which if not used is mailed back to you in the form of a check) and that 10 % was authorized for doubling.

P.S. Thanks for sharing the idea of resale gift cards.  Is there a safe place to order these from ?

Just a couple of ideas to throw out there.  Enjoy your new carpet.

I haven't been there in years, but www.plasticjungle.com is where I've gone once or twice.

Home Depot's card also I believe is still no interest for 12 months from the date of purchase.

I haven't been there in years, but www.plasticjungle.com is where I've gone once or twice.

I did it with lowes cards back when i first bought the house too, and then used the movers 10% coupon too, it was great.. 

yea all of the sites are cool, one offers a bigger discount off the cards i you pay with ACH, so its like 12% off, i think it was abcgiftcards.com

cash cards.com, abcgiftcards.com, plasticjungle.com, giftcardgranny.com, etc

and there are a few people on ebay that are reputable, looking at one guys history he sells home depot gift cards regularly, and in that instance you have ebay and paypal assurances that you are safe... thats where i am going to get mine... that are only like 9% off, but they have nice big $ amounts, like $500 cards, its not worth the .5% more to have to buy 15 cards instead of 3... so if i end up with 19% off, i am in good shape..

basically saving $400.. and getting maybe $100 in cash back... both cards being 6-12 months no interest... 

side note: the gift cards biggest discounts are for food. i may spend $200 whenever i get some extra cash just on food places we eat at often gift cards, some are 25% savings..seems like a solid deal..

yea all of the sites are cool, one offers a bigger discount off the cards i you pay with ACH, so its like 12% off, i think it was abcgiftcards.com

cash cards.com, abcgiftcards.com, plasticjungle.com, giftcardgranny.com, etc

Thanks for the info.

got the bid, estimate from home depot, i measured 582 sq ft of carpet i would need, they said 685, which is an acceptable amount of estimated "waste" for proper seems and everything... but then again the rooms were almost perfect for carpet...one is 12 ft wide, other is 15, both halls are less than 12 feet long so they can be cut wide wise off the roll, then one closet and a staircase..

so i am pondering grabbing a 10% off coupon, which are all over the place, then buying gift cards online at resellers or ebay that are 10% savings off the cards... earning myself 20% off the carpet.. which is looking like 300-500$ savings.. and i THINK i can get some good cash back on one of my cards to buy the gift cards with.. so kinda double/triple dip my discounts..

looks like its time to head back to home depot and pick 1-2 carpets and see what sort of deal I can work out with all of this...

i still need to paint the stairway walls, fill the crack joints in the concrete, and insulate the ceiling...and probably put the outer wall grid peices for the drop ceiling in before i pull the final trigger on the carpet...

each of which is a single day job... so with my days off, looking at 2 weeks, maybe 3... then usually carpet takes 2-3 weeks to order and schedule installation... so i am 2mo away from carpet...

so glad my family gives me nothing but lowes and home depot gift cards for holidays..

I'm getting closer to the point of carpet with my basement project too, so this thread is good stuff.

A couple of related thoughts I have:

I typically buy Home Depot, Lowes, other gift cards at Kroger's using a credit card that has cashback perks.  They typically offer a minimum of 2x fuel points and sometimes even offer 3x or 4x fuel points.  Not sure if you have something similar out in CO.  I guess if you're finding gift card discounts that exceed that and they are zero risk you may be doing even better already.  Some of the ones on eBay seemed a bit shady, but I guess as long as you check them out and minimize risk it's all good.  In any case, I love gift cards.

In my case, I've decided to do the carpet as the absolute last thing in my basement project.  I just finished the ceiling on one side of basement HVAC/beam and need to finish the other side.  I opted for a drop ceiling of my own creation using larger sheets of paneling type material and custom made wood grid system...it's definitely a different look and taking some getting used to IMHO, but cheaper than conventional drop ceilings which have gotten expensive.  Anyway, IMHO, everything makes a mess and/or has potential for spills, including ceiling, trim, detail work, touchups, etc., so my thinking is to do carpet dead last.  I assume you are also doing all your baseboard trim before carpet too, i.e. off the ground by 1/4"-1/2" depending on planned carpet/pad for tucking under purposes.

BTW, have you seen the stairwell carpet technique where they carpet not only the treads and risers, but also the sides/stringers all the way up to baseboard moldings???  It costs a bit more but looks very nice:

l.jpg

I'm getting closer to the point of carpet with my basement project too, so this thread is good stuff.

A couple of related thoughts I have:

I typically buy Home Depot, Lowes, other gift cards at Kroger's using a credit card that has cashback perks.  They typically offer a minimum of 2x fuel points and sometimes even offer 3x or 4x fuel points.  Not sure if you have something similar out in CO.  I guess if you're finding gift card discounts that exceed that and they are zero risk you may be doing even better already.  Some of the ones on eBay seemed a bit shady, but I guess as long as you check them out and minimize risk it's all good.  In any case, I love gift cards.

In my case, I've decided to do the carpet as the absolute last thing in my basement project.  I just finished the ceiling on one side of basement HVAC/beam and need to finish the other side.  I opted for a drop ceiling of my own creation using larger sheets of paneling type material and custom made wood grid system...it's definitely a different look and taking some getting used to IMHO, but cheaper than conventional drop ceilings which have gotten expensive.  Anyway, IMHO, everything makes a mess and/or has potential for spills, including ceiling, trim, detail work, touchups, etc., so my thinking is to do carpet dead last.  I assume you are also doing all your baseboard trim before carpet too, i.e. off the ground by 1/4"-1/2" depending on planned carpet/pad for tucking under purposes.

BTW, have you seen the stairwell carpet technique where they carpet not only the treads and risers, but also the sides/stringers all the way up to baseboard moldings???  It costs a bit more but looks very nice:

l.jpg

that carpet style is what i have on the upstairs..i probably wont do that on the basement steps. 1. cost and 2. i have small kids, and they have friends, who are all monster and where the stand on the edge of the side of the stairs the carpet is getting trashed.. its shit carpet, but since its just a basment, im painting the side white and moving on...i like the look better, but i am slightl scorned on it currently..

kroger owns king sooper out here, so same kinda thing.. i will probably come out slightly ahead on the ebay or discount site cards..

some on ebay are super shady.. especailly the store credit ones..i will only buy with someone who has 100% feedback, not even 99.9, and has positive feedback for people who bought gift cards from them already.. otherwise i avoid ebay like the plague..

i am swinging back by home depot this evening, get some aactual model numbers of carpet and stuff, and build my quote, etc.. 

carpet will be second to last... i am actually going to do my basemouldings last.. here in the frontrange we have to build floating walls, so my walls are hanging from the ceiling, and there is a 1.5-2 inch gap, then a bottom plate nailed into the concrete.. so if the foundation moves in the expansive soils, it doesnt crack your whole house, etc..

with THAT nightmare, i an doing carpet, THEn the base moulding on top of the carpet so its a good inch off the ground in case there is some foundation movement..which there shouldnt be, the builder does a LOT to make sure of it.. but you never know..

aside from that i agree on all things you mentioned, even clipping the grid system will get lost/stuck in carpet, so it will be ALMOST last..

but it usually takes 2 weeks for carpet to arrive, and then a week for install appointment, so i want to get it lined up, save the money for it, and crank through everything else on my time off...

thats the plan anyway... i have lowes gift cards for all of my doors and trim, the ceiling WILL cost me about $600-700, but the grid part is cheap, as long as i get that in i am ok with finishing it as i go...im shooting for november for a 99.9-100% completed basement timeframe..

going to be fun...

this is what we have picked thus far... a whitish light grey with a dark grey, same as wells speckled in.. top rated for durabilit and all that...

attachicon.gif1147986_10201926235380430_1495481505_o.jpg

(click for larger image)

Home Depot?  Price ballpark?  Material (Nylon, Polyester)?

I ask because that's close to a couple samples we picked up and are kinda settling in on.  We are more in the browns color tones instead of greys, but similarly varied coloring...maybe more cut pile looking than that though I guess.

Truthfully I also ask because I'm lazy and would like to steal some of your research work and decision making...at least for another data point.  :)

Home Depot?  Price ballpark?  Material (Nylon, Polyester)?

I ask because that's close to a couple samples we picked up and are kinda settling in on.  We are more in the browns color tones instead of greys, but similarly varied coloring...maybe more cut pile looking than that though I guess.

Truthfully I also ask because I'm lazy and would like to steal some of your research work and decision making...at least for another data point.  :)

hell, thats why i post all these threads.. getting insight from 5 people saves me a day or two of research..

i am deciding between the 1/2inch urethane pad. which is .89 sq ft and a 7/16in 8lb pad for .69 sq ft. the urethane got a few fishy reviews that i cant quite decifer if its just dumb people are a product concern, stuff like it squeeks when you walk on it, like was this laid over tile maybe? i cant imagine a squeek on concrete, but also some carpet warranty is void if not on 7/16 pad, etc...

ANYWAY.. cost is listed at 2.89 sq ft. 26.01 sq yard.

top rated for durability, not flattening, not soaking spills, etc  its 100% nylon, which from everything i read is really the ONLY way to go for a basment or high traffic area..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Platinum-Plus-Charming-Color-Castle-Wall-12-ft-Carpet-0175D-40-12/202654960#specifications

its listed at $3.06 online, but it was 2.89 in my local HD shop.. even though the website is saved to my local shops pricing...

they do offer it in a full line of tans/browns and greys.. like 5-6 different shades of both hte browns/tans and the greys...

my entire house is browns and tans, so we went with something new in the basement to shake it up a bit..

12 ft wide rolls only..

hell, thats why i post all these threads.. getting insight from 5 people saves me a day or two of research..

i am deciding between the 1/2inch urethane pad. which is .89 sq ft and a 7/16in 8lb pad for .69 sq ft. the urethane got a few fishy reviews that i cant quite decifer if its just dumb people are a product concern, stuff like it squeeks when you walk on it, like was this laid over tile maybe? i cant imagine a squeek on concrete, but also some carpet warranty is void if not on 7/16 pad, etc...

ANYWAY.. cost is listed at 2.89 sq ft. 26.01 sq yard.

top rated for durability, not flattening, not soaking spills, etc  its 100% nylon, which from everything i read is really the ONLY way to go for a basment or high traffic area..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Platinum-Plus-Charming-Color-Castle-Wall-12-ft-Carpet-0175D-40-12/202654960#specifications

its listed at $3.06 online, but it was 2.89 in my local HD shop.. even though the website is saved to my local shops pricing...

they do offer it in a full line of tans/browns and greys.. like 5-6 different shades of both hte browns/tans and the greys...

my entire house is browns and tans, so we went with something new in the basement to shake it up a bit..

12 ft wide rolls only..

Thanks a lot.

I love urethane in other applications/contexts, i.e. paint, caulk, etc. so use as a carpet pad is very intriguing to me, but also foreign to me in this context.  Definitely something to investigate IMHO.  I know what you mean about reviews, grain of salt to say the least and agree about getting first hand experience and insight is golden.

Shows up at $2.99 with my store saved.  Interesting.  Great price for nylon based on my limited looking so far.  I've pretty much settled on nylon although it sure isn't as common or as cheap at places I've check so far, at least here in Cincy.  I don't mind, and actually prefer, paying for quality and durability.

I've got the opposite in terms of colors, 1st and 2nd floors are greys, blues, greens and basement is brown for a change for us.

Sadly the 12 ft rolls is a serious bummer.  I've got 2 sections to carpet in kind of an L-shape.  One leg is just under 12 ft but the other is just a bit over 12 ft.  If it came in 15ft it would be perfect since my stairwell is just under 3 ft to complement the L-shape leg just under 12 ft.  I'm sure I can find something in 15 ft though, but that price is damn good compared to the nylons we've been looking at.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot.

I love urethane in other applications/contexts, i.e. paint, caulk, etc. so use as a carpet pad is very intriguing to me, but also foreign to me in this context.  Definitely something to investigate IMHO.  I know what you mean about reviews, grain of salt to say the least and agree about getting first hand experience and insight is golden.

Shows up at $2.99 with my store saved.  Interesting.  Great price for nylon based on my limited looking so far.  I've pretty much settled on nylon although it sure isn't as common or as cheap at places I've check so far, at least here in Cincy.  I don't mind, and actually prefer, paying for quality and durability.

I've got the opposite in terms of colors, 1st and 2nd floors are greys, blues, greens and basement is brown for a change for us.

Sadly the 12 ft rolls is a serious bummer.  I've got 2 sections to carpet in kind of an L-shape.  One leg is just under 12 ft but the other is just a bit over 12 ft.  If it came in 15ft it would be perfect since my stairwell is just under 3 ft to complement the L-shape leg just under 12 ft.  I'm sure I can find something in 15 ft though, but that price is damn good compared to the nylons we've been looking at.

Thanks again.

i THINK it is probably made by mohawk, almost everything on the rack was, but this one did have all of the specifics on the big sign on the back, since it had like 12 colors instead of 2..  iMAY swing by there on the way to work and see what other info i can grab..

here is a pic of the urethane pad...(click it for big pic)

[attachment=1201:2013-08-21 18.35.10.jpg]

still kind of torn on it... i think i may go be that weirdo putting it on the ground and walking on it in the store...

it has the "double moisture barrier" which being urethane the whole thing is a moisture barrier... which seems ideal for basements.. although moisture doest exist out here.. aside from a loaf of bread, i have never seen mold here on anything..it rained all night here, stopped an hour ago, and the humidity level is only 48%..

anyway.. ill post more info if i get it..

Archived