Bengals start their releases

Truly though I am shocked that Hamilton is cut. I'll live with the Conner but Hamilton...damn.

I'm a little surprised, but he's the wrong body type to play special teams...  Which is also the reason he may make it through waivers.  It's going to be tough for anyone to stash a a 5th or 6th receiver on the roster that can't cover kicks.

BTW, am I the only one wishing for an injury to Johnny Manziel?  What a douche...

bengals_logo.jpg

Cincinnati Bengals

Cuts to 53:  FB John Conner, LS Bryce Davis, S Tony Dye, OT Reid Fragel, WR Cobi Hamilton, RB Daniel Herron, C T.J. Johnson, CB Chris Lewis-Harris, CB Onterio McCalebb, LB Dontay Moch, CB Shaun Prater, WR Taveon Rogers, WR Roy Roundtree, OT Dennis Roland, LB J.K. Schaffer, DT Terrence Stephens, QB John Skelton, OG John Sullen, LB Bruce Taylor

Cuts to 75: WR Jheranie Boyd, CB Terrence Brown, LB Jordan Campbell, G Otis Hudson, DT Vaughn Meatoga, TE Richard Quinn, K/P Quinn Sharp, OT Jason Weaver

I can name at least 4-5 players we just cut that can be starters on other teams days 1. That's how deep this team is. 

if you are looking for jaded stats, they are easy to find. kinda like having to put peoples stats "in perspective" to pretend they are good.

Last year, Nugent was 100% under 40 yards, which doesnt sound like much, ut he was one of only 8 kickers who had a minimum of 20 kicks on the season..

Nugent was then 7/11 of long kicks, which frankly, is pretty damn good for non-gimme kicks..

not to mention how often we toss him out there to try a ridiculous kick at the half or otherwise.. he even hit a 55 yarder... he isnt a top 3 kicker by any means.. but he is a top 10 kicker...

you dont just throw away a top 10 player over a short term showing of another one.

in 201 he was top 8 % wise

in 2010 he only had 19 kicks, 12/12 under 40 yards, 3/7 deep, hitting a 54 yard long

43 of 46 collectively under 40, where you expect your kicker to be automatic... 93.4%, two of three years being 100%

i will never understand fans need to get rid of above average players... 

not to mention, the golden child(somehow) josh brown, has a career 81% FG percentage(same as nugent, with a much smaller sampling pool), only hitting over 90% on the short stint with the bengals since 2004. putting a whole lot of stock in those 12 attempts he had...

4 times as the starting kicker he was in the 70%'s range..

in no way does he threaten Nugent as a viable starter... Nugent is averaging tossing 100 points on the board each of the last two seasons..

changing players for fun isnt wise, especially on special teams. 

damn, that's the go i remember. be that guy again!

good post! :41:

stranger things have happened, but i too will be surprised to see him clear.

I expect him to clear waivers. Tough to just pick up a guy off waivers and put him on your 53 man roster, and cutting someone who made your team, without ever even working a guy out.

I don't know where the rumblings about Bryan Scott as a possible acquisition came from, but I don't see it.  He's an old converted safety that probably weighs 220 - tops.  Marvin Lewis tried for years to get by with undersized linebackers.  He seems to have finally learned his lesson and I doubt he's going to reset.

The Lions just released Brandon Hepburn.  I don't pretend to know much about him, but on paper he's as attractive an option as I can find not named Thomas Howard...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97632&draftyear=2013&genpos=ilb

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/5/11/4316048/lions-draft-picks-2013-brandon-hepburn-scouting-report

that's when we get our starters - Boomer, Kenny, Andy...

So? We need someone with some decent talent. If he ends up being starter material, then trade him in a few years and get a new rookie with some decent talent.

I don't know where the rumblings about Bryan Scott as a possible acquisition came from, but I don't see it.  He's an old converted safety that probably weighs 220 - tops.  Marvin Lewis tried for years to get by with undersized linebackers.  He seems to have finally learned his lesson and I doubt he's going to reset.

The Lions just released Brandon Hepburn.  I don't pretend to know much about him, but on paper he's as attractive an option as I can find not named Thomas Howard...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97632&draftyear=2013&genpos=ilb

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/5/11/4316048/lions-draft-picks-2013-brandon-hepburn-scouting-report

They don't need a big LB. They are not looking for an every down backer. They just need someone who can come on the field and cover TE and RB on passing downs. A lighter quicker LB is perfect for that.

So? We need someone with some decent talent. If he ends up being starter material, then trade him in a few years and get a new rookie with some decent talent.

I'd rather spend that pick on a fellow that makes the team better, that's all.

Why is Bernard Scott on PUP? Can we seriously please just get rid of that bum

Why?  He's good insurance against a RB injury.  Costs little, and no roster spot.

Why is Bernard Scott on PUP? Can we seriously please just get rid of that bum

Why not put him on PUP? He is not taking anyone's spot and if there is an injury in the middle of the season, Scott can come right off PUP and take his spot. Would have a RB with fresh legs and knows the offense to bring in. Better than trying to find someone off the street. No harm in putting him on PUP. Can always cut him if he is not needed.

Archived