Bengals start their releases

Hey chief just cause you make a statement doesn't make it true

of course not.  My opinion means little.  So does yours.

The tape is pretty clear though, and the fact that they decided to cut Conner shows they're not too concerned.

Let's all stop pretending the Bengals just cut Lorenzo Neal in his prime.  John Conner has now been cut from an NFL team twice in the last 11 months.  

I wonder if they wish they had waited and not put Sean Porter on IR to get down to 75 last week.

At the time it looked like they had too many LBs and putting him on IR was a way to stash him until next season. If they had known Lamur would go down, Porter could have been a candidate for the nickel LB spot. Don't know how long he was projected to be out though...

The Conner thing isn't only "a run play is upcoming" but play-action out the I, or similar. Let's face it, sometimes we need all the freaking O-line help we can get in pass protection. Charles was a mediocre TE and is a mediocre FB. Tweeners very rarely work out.

But yes, neither are exactly Zo.

of course not.  My opinion means little.  So does yours.

The tape is pretty clear though, and the fact that they decided to cut Pressley shows they're not too concerned.

Let's all stop pretending the Bengals just cut Lorenzo Neal in his prime.  John Conner has now been cut from an NFL team twice in the last 11 months.  

He was cut from the Jets because of injury with medial collateral ligament and hamstring . And yes by all counts the tape was clear. Clear that Charles was not a good lead blocker and Conner was

He was cut from the Jets because of injury with medial collateral ligament and hamstring . And yes by all counts the tape was clear. Clear that Charles was not a good lead blocker and Conner was

I was talking about tape as far as Conner and Pressley.  

If the jets thought he was that great they would have IR'ed him or hung onto him as a gameday inactice.  They weren't in a playoff hunt they could have used a spot on him.  They simply let him walk. 

I was talking about tape as far as Conner and Pressley.  

If the jets thought he was that great they would have IR'ed him or hung onto him as a gameday inactice.  They weren't in a playoff hunt they could have used a spot on him.  They simply let him walk. 

Yawn. Tape shows Conner is better than Press.
Next . .

Yawn. Tape shows Conner is better than Press.
Next . .

He looked solid in the preseason but Boom Herron also looked like he could be a top 10 back.

I know it's apples to oranges due to him being new in our system last season but Conner was a drop off from Pressley.

It's not easy comparing the two under the circumstances they've been in for the last year but I'd go with a 100% Pressley over a healthy Conner.

They don't need a big LB. They are not looking for an every down backer. They just need someone who can come on the field and cover TE and RB on passing downs. A lighter quicker LB is perfect for that.

Lighter is one thing. 220 is another...

The Bengals play nickel 1/2 of the time. That means those backers are going to see plenty of runs. Why do you think they had Lamur put on so much weight?

He looked solid in the preseason but Boom Herron also looked like he could be a top 10 back.

I know it's apples to oranges due to him being new in our system last season but Conner was a drop off from Pressley.

It's not easy comparing the two under the circumstances they've been in for the last year but I'd go with a 100% Pressley over a healthy Conner.

Omg. Boom is a good runner and sp team player. But he is not now or ever be top 10 in the league or even top 4 on this team.
IMO press has never looked better than Conner has looked this preseason
Jc > Pressley

Omg. Boom is a good runner and sp team player. But he is not now or ever be top 10 in the league or even top 4 on this team.
IMO press has never looked better than Conner has looked this preseason
Jc > Pressley

That's exactly why I said Boom "looks" like a top 10 back.

Preseason is a different animal and can't be treated as if the same success will be carried into regular season.

I don't ever remember complaining about Pressley during regular season, so why are we throwing him under the bus because of an injury?

Lighter is one thing. 220 is another...

The Bengals play nickel 1/2 of the time. That means those backers are going to see plenty of runs. Why do you think they had Lamur put on so much weight?

Considering Scott has played 11 years in the league and had some good years, I would say he could hold up just fine.

fwiw, the Bengals ran the ball 355 (RB's only) last year.  They only used a fullback on 78 of those runs.  22% of all running plays on the season.  

On the season, Bengals FB logged a total of 203 snaps last year.  20.9% of all offensive plays on the season.  

Green-Ellis had a 4.5ypc with a lead FB.  4.1 in a lone setback.  Very minimal difference,  (also for the heck of it, he had a 5.3ypc out of the shotgun)

Considering Scott has played 11 years in the league and had some good years, I would say he could hold up just fine.

He hasn't played 11 years as a LINEBACKER. He was a safety until last year, when Buffalo changed him to linebacker. The transition went so well that he couldn't make it of camp with one of the worst teams in the league.

Color me underwhelmed.

If a big safety is what the Bengals want to play as a nickel linebacker, it seems to me they've got a couple guys already on the roster to choose from.

He hasn't played 11 years as a LINEBACKER. He was a safety until last year, when Buffalo changed him to linebacker. The transition went so well that he couldn't make it of camp with one of the worst teams in the league.

Color me underwhelmed.

If a big safety is what the Bengals want to play as a nickel linebacker, it seems to me they've got a couple guys already on the roster to choose from.

......Taylor Mays being one.

I wonder if they tried to get anything for Skekton? When it was so quiet on this front, I began to think they just might keep 3.

I really like having Josh as a change of pace within a game. This different dimension used as spot appearances was the advantage over Skelton. But if Andy were to go down and miss a full game or more, Skelton seemed like he would be the more likely of the two to be able to win a game. Assuming he could get the WCO down.

This just underscores that the team only goes as far as Andy can get them.

Archived