Bengals start their releases

He hasn't played 11 years as a LINEBACKER. He was a safety until last year, when Buffalo changed him to linebacker. The transition went so well that he couldn't make it of camp with one of the worst teams in the league.

Color me underwhelmed.

If a big safety is what the Bengals want to play as a nickel linebacker, it seems to me they've got a couple guys already on the roster to choose from.

He has been playing LB longer than that. Pretty sure he was taking snaps at LB back in 09.

if you are looking for jaded stats, they are easy to find. kinda like having to put peoples stats "in perspective" to pretend they are good.

Last year, Nugent was 100% under 40 yards, which doesnt sound like much, ut he was one of only 8 kickers who had a minimum of 20 kicks on the season..

Nugent was then 7/11 of long kicks, which frankly, is pretty damn good for non-gimme kicks..

not to mention how often we toss him out there to try a ridiculous kick at the half or otherwise.. he even hit a 55 yarder... he isnt a top 3 kicker by any means.. but he is a top 10 kicker...

you dont just throw away a top 10 player over a short term showing of another one.

in 201 he was top 8 % wise

in 2010 he only had 19 kicks, 12/12 under 40 yards, 3/7 deep, hitting a 54 yard long

43 of 46 collectively under 40, where you expect your kicker to be automatic... 93.4%, two of three years being 100%

i will never understand fans need to get rid of above average players... 

not to mention, the golden child(somehow) josh brown, has a career 81% FG percentage(same as nugent, with a much smaller sampling pool), only hitting over 90% on the short stint with the bengals since 2004. putting a whole lot of stock in those 12 attempts he had...

4 times as the starting kicker he was in the 70%'s range..

in no way does he threaten Nugent as a viable starter... Nugent is averaging tossing 100 points on the board each of the last two seasons..

changing players for fun isnt wise, especially on special teams. 

Fun?

What do you think these numbers mean?

12, 16, 9, 2, 4, 1

??

That's the number of games played by Nugent the past 6 seasons.

I wonder if they tried to get anything for Skekton? When it was so quiet on this front, I began to think they just might keep 3.
I really like having Josh as a change of pace within a game. This different dimension used as spot appearances was the advantage over Skelton. But if Andy were to go down and miss a full game or more, Skelton seemed like he would be the more likely of the two to be able to win a game. Assuming he could get the WCO down.
This just underscores that the team only goes as far as Andy can get them.

That is mostly true for all teams.

But I agree with the overall point: long-term, the gimmicky use of Johnson is a fail. TBH though, either one of the choices we had this offseason were underwhelming.

I was actually leaning towards Johnson of the two backups.  I think Skelton would have had the playbook down in time but it was taking too long.  Johnson may be slightly inaccurate but it's not like he's worse than JaMarcus Russell was.  Also, he makes things happen, and it's not all bad like people are saying.  It's nice to have a running backup QB who defenses have to adjust for.  Also, it's two fold because Dalton can use him as a valuable playbook resource if there are any issues still from his side.

Fun?

What do you think these numbers mean?

12, 16, 9, 2, 4, 1

??

That's the number of games played by Nugent the past 6 seasons.

Even better is the fact that on a message board, you can completely make up fictitious numbers and hope nobody catches your deception.

2007 16 games

2008 1 game

2009 6 games

2010 9 games

2011 16 games

2012 13 games

Those are the actual totals for the last 6 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/nugenmik01.htm

I was actually leaning towards Johnson of the two backups.  I think Skelton would have had the playbook down in time but it was taking too long.  Johnson may be slightly inaccurate but it's not like he's worse than JaMarcus Russell was.  Also, he makes things happen, and it's not all bad like people are saying.  It's nice to have a running backup QB who defenses have to adjust for.  Also, it's two fold because Dalton can use him as a valuable playbook resource if there are any issues still from his side.

Agreed. My concern was that if Skelton was so slow to pick things up, it might be tough to keep up with installation week after week without getting a significant number of reps.

I suppose I have to wonder where the legend of Josh being so dialed into Jay's system originated. Their paths would have only crossed one season...and Josh didn't play a down and Jay wasn't the offensive coordinator. Not saying he didn't learn anything, just that it was not that much of a span...and even that was 5 seasons ago.

Even better is the fact that on a message board, you can completely make up fictitious numbers and hope nobody catches your deception.

2007 16 games

2008 1 game

2009 6 games

2010 9 games

2011 16 games

2012 13 games

Those are the actual totals for the last 6 seasons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/nugenmik01.htm

I copied them from the NFL website.. I failed to notice that 1 season was split between 2 teams (dealing with a migrain while posting that).. So no, not "completely made up fictitious numbers".  Here are the numbers from NFL.com

2012 Cincinnati Bengals 12 0 55 19 23 82.6 5 5 100.0 5 5 100.0 6 9 66.7 1 2 50.0 35 35 100.0 0  

2011 Cincinnati Bengals 16 1 49 33 38 86.8 14 14 100.0 5 8 62.5 14 16 87.5 0 0 0.0 34 33 97.1 0  

2010 Cincinnati Bengals 9 1 54 15 19 78.9 5 5 100.0 7 7 100.0 1 3 33.3 2 4 50.0 17 17 100.0 0  

2009 Arizona Cardinals 2 0 48 2 2 100.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 1 1 100.0 0 0 0.0 8 8 100.0 0  

2009 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 1 37 2 6 33.3 1 1 100.0 1 2 50.0 0 3 0.0 0 0 0.0 6 6 100.0 0  

2008 New York Jets 1 0 0 0 1 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 1 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 2 2 100.0 0  

2007 New York Jets 16 0 50 29 36 80.6 11 11 100.0 10 12 83.3 6 8 75.0 1 4 25.0 24 23 95.8 1

Don't know why you are giving him an extra game from 2012 over the NFL numbers.  Even moreso, not sure why you decided to be a prick about what was obviously an honest mistake.. My point stands.. Care to argue it?  Nugent has CLEARLY had a problem staying healthy, He's only managed to play a full season 2x in 6 years .. He's a kicker.  We don't carry a backup at his position, and it isn't a "contact" position (I understand he sometimes makes a tackle).  I think he is a good kicker.. But if someone else has similar numbers, and we can count on him for 16 games I would give him the nod.

Not sure why you would accuse me of intentional deception. I think you have known me long enough here to know that is not my MO.

I suppose I have to wonder where the legend of Josh being so dialed into Jay's system originated. Their paths would have only crossed one season...and Josh didn't play a down and Jay wasn't the offensive coordinator. Not saying he didn't learn anything, just that it was not that much of a span...and even that was 5 seasons ago.

Exactly, if anything Andy will be helping Josh out

I don't think Moch is a standup OLB. He's certainly not a DE in a 3-4. His best fit imo is as a dedicated pass rusher in a 4-3. 

You don't think he could play outside backer in a 3-4 scheme?  I would think as a  DE/LB hybrid type he would be fairly well suited for that role...

I saw somewhere the bengals are gonna sign former bill bryan scott

To be honest, I don't know much about him, but Zimmer has a good recent track record for using other teams' scraps. Obviously, they need veteran depth at LB in a big way.

You don't think he could play outside backer in a 3-4 scheme?  I would think as a  DE/LB hybrid type he would be fairly well suited for that role...

He was a DE in college. The Bengals tried him at SAM before moving him back to DE. He seems to get off the snap better from a 3 point stance than from a 2 point. He bulked up a bit but is basically a speed pass rusher. Sort of a poor man's Fred Dean.

He was a DE in college. The Bengals tried him at SAM before moving him back to DE. He seems to get off the snap better from a 3 point stance than from a 2 point. He bulked up a bit but is basically a speed pass rusher. Sort of a poor man's Fred Dean.

It's not uncommon for an outside rush backer in a 3-4 to put their hand down.. I'm not saying he is an NFL quality backer (I don't know).. I just think he would be at least as suited for that role as an outside backer in 4-3, as the outside LB position often has a similar role in that scheme as a 4-3 end.

Archived