Bengals and Atkins reach a Deal! 5yr, $55M

A lot this.. And most of that battle had already been fought.. I just don't think Carson had faith in it.  I'm sure it further reinforced what was already in the works though.  Any way you slice it, I think it was a very positive time in general, in hindsight.

Yeah it's clear Mike expected Carson to be leading this young group, but I'm glad we have a true leader with several years in the league ahead of him to grow and progress with this team. IMO it keeps our window for winning the big one open for a few years longer than it would be with an aging and dinged up Palmer.

Atkins’ cap number for this season goes from $1,546,539 (23rd highest on Bengals) to $7,123,539, which is the third highest on the team. Only Leon Hall’s $8.4 million and Michael Johnson’s franchise tag of $11.175 million are bigger. The cap number includes $4 million in base salary, the prorated signing bonus of $3 million, the prorated signing bonus of $118,114 and a workout bonus of $5,425.

A look at the remaining years:

2014 (Cap number of $9 million) – Base salary of $2.7 million, $3 million roster bonus, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2015 (Cap number of $9 million) – Base salary of $5.7 million, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2016 (Cap number of $9.6 million) – Base salary of $6.3 million, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2017 (Cap number of $10.6 million) – Base salary of $7.3 million, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2018 (Cap number of $9.55 million) – Base salary of $9.25 million and a $300,000 workout bonus.

Should Atkins receive NFL Defensive Player of the Year in any season, he would get a $100,000 bonus.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/09/04/breaking-down-the-atkins-extension/

Geno Atkins has a new contract & a new shirt (to benefit Cincy Children's Hospital Sickle Cell Center). Pretty funny http://www.cincyshirts.com/cincyshirts//genoatkinsshirt.html 

Think I may need one of these...

It was starting to look kinda doubtful there for a second, glad they got it done.

Can we officially put to rest the whole "Cheap Bengals" crap now?

Think I may need one of these...

It was starting to look kinda doubtful there for a second, glad they got it done.

Can we officially put to rest the whole "Cheap Bengals" crap now?

Right after we win our second Super Bowl.

We'll have to win 2 because, well, we're the Bengals...   :rolleyes:

Archived