Washington Navy yard shooting

Numbers

D.C. Police Still Only Confirming One Shooter, But Pentagon, Navy Say Maybe Three

A spokesman for the Washington Metropolitan Police Department helped to clarify why there are conflicting reports on the number of shooters loose at the Navy Yard.

"We're only confirming one for now," said Metropolitan Police spokesman Chris Kelly. "The Pentagon and Navy are confirming up to three."

Kelly said all three agencies have officers on the ground. Each is getting its own intel, so what each is willing to confirm at this point is varied. Asked why there isn't more coordination between D.C. police and the two federal agencies, Kelly said to stay tuned for a D.C. Police press conference coming shortly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/police-search-for-active-shooter-on-grounds-of-washington-navy-yard-in-southeast-dc/2013/09/16/b1d72b9a-1ecb-11e3-b7d1-7153ad47b549_story.html

As many as two shooters, including one in fatigues, killed at least four people and wounded eight others in a rampage at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, police said, spreading fear and chaos across the region as authorities tried to contain the incident.

This might be one of the fears I have is that this was conducted by a member or former member of our military.

From this interview with two people who apparently came face to face with the gunman they didnt get shot they are saying he was a bad shot, so not sure if I'd rule it a military person yet....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/16/20524041-he-said-nothing-witnesses-tell-how-navy-yard-gunman-shot-at-them?lite

From this interview with two people who apparently came face to face with the gunman they didnt get shot they are saying he was a bad shot, so not sure if I'd rule it a military person yet....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/16/20524041-he-said-nothing-witnesses-tell-how-navy-yard-gunman-shot-at-them?lite

People in stressful ( real life ) conditions regardless of the amount of training they have, can and usually do have bad aim.  I believe I read an article about that and they said he was 30 yards away at the time of the meeting face to face. 

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=76609

As a result of the incident, the Navy has issued an "Order to Account" for all Navy uniformed personnel, both active duty and selected Reserve, assigned to commands in the D.C. metro area. The order also applies to family members, Navy civilian employees, as well as, NAF and NEX personnel. Personnel muster through the Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System (NFAAS). To muster, visit the NFAAS website at https://navyfamily.navy.mil.  

now.  I'll start.

State by state gun laws are useless.  Gun rights advocates hold up these laws as proof that all gun laws don't work, which is really just rediculous.  Right, Elfocko?

[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/lodge308/media/slapface.gif.html]slapface.gif[/URL]

People in stressful ( real life ) conditions regardless of the amount of training they have, can and usually do have bad aim.

All the more reason for schoolteachers, bus drivers, and everyone else to be armed.  If enough people start shooting I'm sure one of them will hit the bad guy eventually.

Almost went to the Navy Yard when I was there last Xmas.. Luetze Park has a collection of cannons that were mostly spoils of war & there's the Navy Museum, too. Figured it might not have quite the crowds you find at the Smithsonian etc..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/09/18/the-nationals-and-wearing-navy-hats-during-the-game/

LaRoche was willing to wear the Navy cap during the game and gladly pay any accompanying fine. But he feared he would send the message that he was drawing attention to himself, and preferred a team-wide effort. Even though wearing non-sanctioned gear during the game requires special permission, LaRoche believes it would have been worth doing in this case.

“Nobody would have been upset,” he said. “It would have been great. I think MLB throws all rules at the window at that point. I know they’re Under Armour, but whatever. None of that matters. The purpose is to show that those people are in our thoughts and in our prayers and thinking about them and almost playing this game for them. Either way, it’s awful that it happened right here. It’s awful when it happens anywhere. It’s worse when it’s right by.”

In LaRoche’s mind, wearing a Navy hat during the game would only be a small gesture and wouldn’t repair the lost lives, injuries and sorrow.

“I wish we could do more,” he said. “Maybe next week or something we can. Kids who lost parents. I hope they keep us in mind when they need to call for some support for those families.”

The Nationals only asked MLB for permission to wear the Navy caps during batting practice, pregame ceremonies and the national anthem, General Manager Mike Rizzo said. The Nationals, and other teams, have asked to wear non-standard issue gear during games to honor other causes and incidents, such as 9/11, this year and in the past and have been rejected.

“We had asked several times before and were not allowed to do it,” Rizzo said. “Knowing that, we requested that could we at least wear them for our pregame batting practice and the national anthem. We thought that we had a better chance of getting an okay for that than we did for the game.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/09/18/the-nationals-and-wearing-navy-hats-during-the-game/

LaRoche was willing to wear the Navy cap during the game and gladly pay any accompanying fine. But he feared he would send the message that he was drawing attention to himself, and preferred a team-wide effort. Even though wearing non-sanctioned gear during the game requires special permission, LaRoche believes it would have been worth doing in this case.

“Nobody would have been upset,” he said. “It would have been great. I think MLB throws all rules at the window at that point. I know they’re Under Armour, but whatever. None of that matters. The purpose is to show that those people are in our thoughts and in our prayers and thinking about them and almost playing this game for them. Either way, it’s awful that it happened right here. It’s awful when it happens anywhere. It’s worse when it’s right by.”

In LaRoche’s mind, wearing a Navy hat during the game would only be a small gesture and wouldn’t repair the lost lives, injuries and sorrow.

“I wish we could do more,” he said. “Maybe next week or something we can. Kids who lost parents. I hope they keep us in mind when they need to call for some support for those families.”

The Nationals only asked MLB for permission to wear the Navy caps during batting practice, pregame ceremonies and the national anthem, General Manager Mike Rizzo said. The Nationals, and other teams, have asked to wear non-standard issue gear during games to honor other causes and incidents, such as 9/11, this year and in the past and have been rejected.

“We had asked several times before and were not allowed to do it,” Rizzo said. “Knowing that, we requested that could we at least wear them for our pregame batting practice and the national anthem. We thought that we had a better chance of getting an okay for that than we did for the game.”

If it was " MLB " who rejected this, who in MLB made this decision ?  Curious to know the actual answer or reasoning behind the rejection.  I am somewhat lost on what the answer would be.  The NFL does breast cancer awareness, toys for tots, etc... in honor of causes but have not seen the NFL reject anything outright.  We ( the NFL ) wore commemorative stickers on helmets and patches on uniforms but the MLB has issues with a Navy ball cap ?  I'm confused.

Follow the link and read the whole article.

I read it but it sounds like from Olbermann that the Nats didn't ask because they knew what MLB would say.  From the initial link it states " Many Nationals players wanted to keep them on for the games, but the decision was made above their heads "...  Above their heads could mean MLB and not necessarily within the Nats themselves.  Later in the article it states, " The Nationals only asked MLB for permission to wear the Navy caps during batting practice, pregame ceremonies and the national anthem, General Manager Mike Rizzo said. The Nationals, and other teams, have asked to wear non-standard issue gear during games to honor other causes and incidents, such as 9/11, this year and in the past and have been rejected. " We had asked several times before and were not allowed to do it,” Rizzo said. “Knowing that, we requested that could we at least wear them for our pregame batting practice and the national anthem. We thought that we had a better chance of getting an okay for that than we did for the game. "

Although it is not clear who in MLB or if anybody in MLB made this decision regarding this issue, MLB has in the past rejected requests from teams regarding issues such as these.

I read it more like, yeah, we didn't ask because we knew it wouldn't be allowed, but hell, the hats didn't fit anyway, so that stymied everything regardless.

I figure they would have defiantly worn them had they fit, and then probably not have been fined in the end because MLB doesn't want to look like a bunch of douchebags. 

Maybe some guy in the MLB front office would have put a stop to allowing it had they asked; maybe not. 

The bottom line for me is that wearing pieces of flare shows that sure you mean well, but it doesn't really do much other than that.  Wrapping yourself in symbolism in this case is one step on the better side of a hollow gesture. 

• 2 weeks later...

When does the gun debate start? 

MULLY

The majority of the public doesnt buy the "ban rifles" farce, not a chance in hell they would go for a shotgun ban either.

BTW, funny how the media automatically tries to build up a fervor by saying he was using an AR-15 style rifle instead of a shotgun, which is what he really had. In the past 20-30 years, real Journalism died and political sensationalism has taken over.

BTW- for all the dummies- an "assault rifle" that people can buy as civilians is just a rifle- With a few "cool" plastic pieces added to it. It can fire no faster than a traditional rifle or a semi-automatic handgun.

Archived