Patriots Week Notes

Especially with Wilfork out, they ought to run the fuck out of the ball next week. They went pass-wacky in both AFCN games this year, it didn't work great against Pitt and obviously it blew against Cle (who has a better defense). Looking at Andy's stat line you'd think they were down by 2 scores the whole game.

Anyone heard any follow ups on Zeiter or Vontaze?  I know KZ came back in but I'm wondering what his foot issue was, in addition to if Burfict will have to go through concussion protocol (I thought it was a neck injury though?)

hobson tweeted neck injury with a questionable return.  Haven't heard anything else.

Defense is making Ryan look bad.  Falcons need a new QB, I guess.

Is there another Ryan playing QB on that team or are we talking about the guy who threw for 421 yards and 2 TDs yesterday?  That would be more than twice what our QB threw for yesterday.

Are we talking about Matt Ryan, the guy whose team, Atlanta has face 4 teams with a combined 11-3 record as opposed to our 6-8?

Same Matt Ryan who had 12.83 yards per catch and 7.80 yards per attempt yesterday compared to our 8.96 yards per catch and 4.90 yards per attempt?

That guy?

Is there another Ryan playing QB on that team or are we talking about the guy who threw for 421 yards and 2 TDs yesterday?  That would be more than twice what our QB threw for yesterday.

Are we talking about Matt Ryan, the guy whose team, Atlanta has face 4 teams with a combined 11-3 record as opposed to our 6-8?

Same Matt Ryan who had 12.83 yards per catch and 7.80 yards per attempt yesterday compared to our 8.96 yards per catch and 4.90 yards per attempt?

That guy?

Well CT did post that before Ryan got hot in the last 6 minutes of the game, but if the Pats can make Ryan look bad for 3 1/2 quarters what will they do to Dalton?

Hopefully playing at home will help him be comfortable and get off to a fast start.

We better beat those guys or this whole town will turn on Andy if he sucks balls again like he did on sunday.

Depends on how we lose.  We lose 28-31 its one thing, we lose 17-6 its a completely different story.  We were 4-14 on 3rd downs yesterday.  The 4th and 1 on the Cleveland 7 was particularly hard to swallow.

Depends on how we lose.  We lose 28-31 its one thing, we lose 17-6 its a completely different story.  We were 4-14 on 3rd downs yesterday.  The 4th and 1 on the Cleveland 7 was particularly hard to swallow.

Just once I'd love to see Dalton pull the ball out and boot leg the 3rd or 4th and 1 hand off. Even bring in Peko to make it more convincing.

Just once I'd love to see Dalton pull the ball out and boot leg the 3rd or 4th and 1 hand off. Even bring in Peko to make it more convincing.

they did run that against the Chiefs last year.

IMO that was a bad playcall all around.  Cleveland has a stout Dline, IMO Bernard should have been in there on a stretch play, not a run into the strength of the defense.  Or, it was close enough that a QB sneak also would have worked.

"At the end of the day we got a good old fashion butt whoopin,"-Terence Newman, #Bengals 700 WLW
I asked Terence if he would be interested in coaching: "no, remember Latrell Sprewell?" #Bengals
Terence on planning for future: "I still have my lunch money from 3rd grade" #Bengals Line
Terence says he went in on purchase of several Panera Breads in California with Keyshawn Johnson and others 6 yrs ago. #Bengals
Terence on leap into stands: "that was pretty boneheaded. From 60 yards away, the wall looked a lot smaller. #Bengals Line
Terence big fan Dre K: "he is so talented. So long and athletic. He's going to be a problem (for WR). I try to keep his spirits up."#Bengals
Terence said early in his career he was 1st out of complex, these days he is last out..there longer than some coaches. #Bengals
Terence Newman maintains his status as my favorite player for #Bengals Line. Love that guy. He gets it, on and off field.

Zeitler: I have all the confidence in the world in Andy Dalton as our QB. #Bengals Line. Also said he's fine after foot issue Sunday.

they did run that against the Chiefs last year.

IMO that was a bad playcall all around.  Cleveland has a stout Dline, IMO Bernard should have been in there on a stretch play, not a run into the strength of the defense.  Or, it was close enough that a QB sneak also would have worked.

Bad play call, and there you have it Mr Gruden.

A couple of tidbits from this:
  • Talib looked good in coverage and is sure to be draped all over AJ this week.
  • The bolded part worries me the most - we tend to bit on PA too...  
  • I hope we don't make 85 look like an all-pro
  Picked-up pieces from Pats-Falcons review
October, 1, 2013
By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Picked-up pieces from review of the New England Patriots’ 30-23 victory over the Atlanta Falcons:

1. It wasn’t necessarily one play, but in re-watching the way the game unfolded, the Patriots’ offensive approach seemed to reflect Bill Belichick’s belief that bigger is most often better. The Falcons’ biggest defensive tackle is Corey Peters (6-3, 305) and in terms of physical makeup, he’d compare closest to Patriots defensive tackle Joe Vellano. Think of it this way: When speaking of Vellano in the Patriots’ system, he is sometimes referred to as undersized. It’s not that a smaller defense can’t be successful, but for teams that trend in that direction, the risk is what happened Sunday night when the Patriots overpowered them at times (e.g. Brandon Bolden dragging defenders nearly into the end zone), and offensive linemen easily turned them to create running lanes at other times.

2. Unlike last week, when Aqib Talib followed Buccaneers receiver Vincent Jackson all over the field, Talib mixed and matched between Roddy White and Julio Jones. Seemed almost close to a 50-50 split.

3. Safety can be a difficult position to get a feel for during a game. It’s a spot where the player can really do everything right and not be a huge factor in the game because the ball might not come his way. Other times, safety play stands out as exemplary and Devin McCourty turned in one example of this on the Falcons’ opening drive. The Falcons had success on the drive, delivering a solid initial blow to the Patriots, and had first-and-goal from the 6. They set up a wide receiver screen to Julio Jones on the left side and McCourty’s combination of recognition, instincts and willingness to tackle led to a tackle of Jones for a 1-yard gain. NBC analyst Cris Collinsworth said he wasn’t sure how McCourty sliced through bigger-bodied offensive linemen to make the play, which was an astute observation.

4. Something a bit outside the box that showed up at times was defensive lineman Tommy Kelly lining up about 2 yards back from the line of scrimmage, but remaining in a three-point stance before he rushed. The first time it was seen was on a third-and-20 play with 4:04 remaining in the first quarter (incomplete pass). Bill Belichick explained Monday on sports radio WEEI that it’s similar to when a linebacker blitzes and one of the benefits of doing that is having a little more space/time can clear things up with how the offensive line slides and the protection will go.

5. With two illegal shift penalties, a delay-of-game penalty and a botched center/quarterback exchange on a fourth-and-inches play that would have essentially sealed the game, there’s still plenty of areas that the coaching staff can drill into the offense this week. It was sloppy at times on offense.

6. The Patriots’ play-action statistics were off the charts in this game, with the tone set on quarterback Tom Brady’s first attempt, a 15-yarder to fullback James Develin. Falcons linebackers seemed to bite hard against the run throughout and the Patriots capitalized.

7. The main job of a receiver is to get open and catch the ball, as Bill Belichick sometimes reminds. Blocking in the running game isn’t often discussed, but that’s an area where rookie receiver Aaron Dobson showed up multiple times. He’s not afraid to get physical.

8. Rookie defensive end Michael Buchanan (6-6, 255) runs well enough that coaches have him on the kickoff coverage unit. The unit hasn’t had many kickoffs to cover because Stephen Gostkowski has 19 touchbacks in 21 attempts this season, but on a second-quarter return, Buchanan made the tackle on a nice play. Buchanan (seventh round, Illinois) is mostly making his mark as a sub rusher (25 snaps Sunday) but his work on special teams adds to his value.

9. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told NBC analyst Cris Collinsworth that rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins reminds him of Chad Johnson, Collinsworth said after the two combined for a 49-yard long bomb. Thompkins is wearing the same “ocho cinco” as Johnson, but his results in the team’s system have already been decisively better.

10. Rookie defensive tackle Joe Vellano’s third-quarter sack, which was one of the big defensive plays of the game for the Patriots, was a reminder that draft status means little. Vellano (undrafted) earned the decisive victory over second-year center Peter Konz (second round). Likewise on Kenbrell Thompkins (undrafted) with his diving 18-yard touchdown catch over cornerback Desmond Trufant (first round) in the fourth quarter.

Before this past week's game, I was of the mindset that this was going to be the game that this team exploded in all phases of the game.  However, after what we all witnessed on Sunday, i cant shake this feeling of them getting absolutely steamrolled by the Patriots.  I have been trying not to get too down and "overreact," but its pretty hard to stay grounded as of right now.  I felt really good about the loss to Chicago, but this was something entirely different.  Hopefully it can just be chalked up to a bad(very) game.

We really need Mo/Marvin to step up this week and be a threat.  If they can't show to be a consistent threat, its going to be hard to ever get AJ good looks.  Not beating up on Skrine last week is not good because he is not very good.

We really need Mo/Marvin to step up this week and be a threat.  If they can't show to be a consistent threat, its going to be hard to ever get AJ good looks.  Not beating up on Skrine last week is not good because he is not very good.

moreover, Gruden needs to start using Green as a decoy to get the other guys the ball.  

Longest play of the season? 61yd pass play to Eifert when they used Green and Sanu as decoys.  

They also really need to get the running game sorted out.

I'm glad we can make that determination after Vellano's 0 career starts and 4 career tackles.

I guarantee he'll play like a probowler in our game, ...all replacements do.

Perhaps if we pretend he's a probowler then maybe we'll neutralize him in the game, ...just a thought.

Year '13 Statistics

Vellano = 4 solo tackles (out of 10), 1 sack for 13 yard loss.

Wilfork = 4 solo tackles (out of 9), 0 sacks.

Archived