Patriots Week Notes

I guarantee he'll play like a probowler in our game, ...all replacements do.

Perhaps if we pretend he's a probowler then maybe we'll neutralize him in the game, ...just a thought.

Year '13 Statistics
Vellano = 4 solo tackles (out of 10), 1 sack for 13 yard loss.
Wilfork = 4 solo tackles (out of 9), 0 sacks.

Trying to compare tackles as a way to judge how good a NT is, is kind of dumb. NT are out there to take on double teams and clog up the running lanes and let the LBs clean up. Wilfork has always been great at doing that and closing the pocket so the QB can not step up and the DEs can get the sack. Wilfork has never been a high tackle/sack guy but he been great at clogging things up.

Even though Wilfork is not what he once was, it is hard to image that Vellano is on his level right now.

I guarantee he'll play like a probowler in our game, ...all replacements do.

Perhaps if we pretend he's a probowler then maybe we'll neutralize him in the game, ...just a thought.

Year '13 Statistics
Vellano = 4 solo tackles (out of 10), 1 sack for 13 yard loss.
Wilfork = 4 solo tackles (out of 9), 0 sacks.

Good thing we have the league leader in tackles on our team.

Gio should be doing pass block drills all week. That's the reason he didn't play as much early this season and I believe that's the only reason he hasn't already totally supplanted BJGE. Gio blew some blocks against Cleveland and we already knew their faith in his ability to block was shaky at best. They're obviously not afraid to put him in when he doesn't necessarily have to block.

Gio should be doing pass block drills all week. That's the reason he didn't play as much early this season and I believe that's the only reason he hasn't already totally supplanted BJGE. Gio blew some blocks against Cleveland and we already knew their faith in his ability to block was shaky at best. They're obviously not afraid to put him in when he doesn't necessarily have to block.

Yeh I saw one block he did against a lb. He kind of got contact with an initial push but the other guy was only pushed slightly so he could still maintain his course to the qb and sack Dalton.

This will be a huge test and a huge win for the team. As hopefully they can pull it off!

Honestly I just want to see a clean game where our offense moves the ball well and consistently and puts points on the board. I think at this point that is ALMOST as important as a win itself.

Jeb. You have to email this post to Jay Gruden right away. The light bulb may finally come on.

It makes the passing game better when the D-line is worn down a bit from multiple running attempts, ...even a blitz is less effective if the player is fatigued.

Never give up on the run.

I think Leon may have shown that he was our most important player last week by being out.  Getting out of that soft ass zone coverage, which Tom will destroy, and letting Leon take away the safety valve is probably the key for the defense on getting off the field on third down this week.  We certainly cannot afford a setback, but if Amendola is out there and Leon can neutralize him, Tom has to hope Kenbrell Thompkins can beat Adam.  I'm not too worried about Edelman and Newman matchup.  If Amendola doesn't suit up, we will probably see Edelman matched up with Leon all day, which would certainly be in our favor.

Were going to be in the nickel a lot this week.  Leon is going to be much needed.

1. Whit: The maturity of this team and how much we've grown will be on display the next couple of weeks. #Bengals

Expand
  2. AJ talked about DBs taking outside leverage. Need to keep honest with slants and inside moves to open up deep ball. #Bengals

Expand
  3. AJ said he needs to be aware camera is always on him. Needs better control of body language #Bengals

Expand
  4. AJ said his body language looked bad on TV. Said needs to control better and not show up his QB #Bengals

Expand
  5. Andy: teams are trying to takeaway deep ball to AJ, we have to find ways to hit him and take shots. #Bengals

Expand
  6. Andy: Brady does so many things at the line, gets the ball out quick. He has full control of that offense. #Bengals

Expand
  7. Andy: my confidence hasn't been lost. We have so many good guys on this team, so much talent. #Bengals

Expand
  8. Andy: we have to be able to adjust on the sideline after we see what they are doing. #Bengals

Expand
  9. Andy: if we could just be more consistent with what we are doing it would help our identity. #Bengals

Expand

I think Leon may have shown that he was our most important player last week by being out.  Getting out of that soft ass zone coverage, which Tom will destroy, and letting Leon take away the safety valve is probably the key for the defense on getting off the field on third down this week.  We certainly cannot afford a setback, but if Amendola is out there and Leon can neutralize him, Tom has to hope Kenbrell Thompkins can beat Adam.  I'm not too worried about Edelman and Newman matchup.  If Amendola doesn't suit up, we will probably see Edelman matched up with Leon all day, which would certainly be in our favor.

Were going to be in the nickel a lot this week.  Leon is going to be much needed.

I do think Leon is one of the most important guys on defense, but I still think all things considered the secondary held up pretty well against the Browns.  There were 3 big plays really, the long ball to gordon, the td to cameron, and the 3rd down play to bess.  The coverage was good for the first two, the DB's (jones and mays) just didn't get their heads around to locate the ball.  The 3rd, bess just beat Ghee.

Wasn't there another play where Gio was supposed to pick up the OLB blitz and the guy basically just bull rushed Gio right into Dalton, forcing a fumble? Or maybe that wasn't the play where Andy fumbled and tried to claim his arm was in motion but instead Dalton's arm was hit. I know that Gio got toasted on a play very much like one of those though.

I said at the time and I will say it again, more often than not, if it's a certain pass play, and Gio is your guy in the backfield, just have Andy work out of the shotgun and have Gio be your outlet pass in case of a blitz rather than trying to keep him in to block.

Wasn't there another play where Gio was supposed to pick up the OLB blitz and the guy basically just bull rushed Gio right into Dalton, forcing a fumble? Or maybe that wasn't the play where Andy fumbled and tried to claim his arm was in motion but instead Dalton's arm was hit. I know that Gio got toasted on a play very much like one of those though.

I said at the time and I will say it again, more often than not, if it's a certain pass play, and Gio is your guy in the backfield, just have Andy work out of the shotgun and have Gio be your outlet pass in case of a blitz rather than trying to keep him in to block.

Gio ran right past a blitzing corner who ended up stripping Dalton while he was attempting to pass.  Same thing happened against Green Bay.  He goes out for a pass and lets a free blitzer run right past him untouched.  Both plays ended with Dalton getting stripped from his blindside. The Cleveland one I timed at roughly 2.5 seconds, so its not like it was a matter of Dalton holding the ball too long.

Even if Gio is supposed to be going out for passes on those plays, he's got to be taught to chip those guys on his way out.  It's not like Dalton will be able to get him the ball if someone doesn't pick up that blitzer.  

Gio ran right past a blitzing corner who ended up stripping Dalton while he was attempting to pass.  Same thing happened against Green Bay.  He goes out for a pass and lets a free blitzer run right past him untouched.  Both plays ended with Dalton getting stripped from his blindside. The Cleveland one I timed at roughly 2.5 seconds, so its not like it was a matter of Dalton holding the ball too long.

Even if Gio is supposed to be going out for passes on those plays, he's got to be taught to chip those guys on his way out.  It's not like Dalton will be able to get him the ball if someone doesn't pick up that blitzer.  

Yeah it seems chipping is a lost art form. I know in another post you mention drag plays, which are perfect for a TE to chip a DE or OLB on and then release over the middle.

Archived