Patriots Week Notes

Vince Wilfork hauled off early on

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 29, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
350x-616.jpg?w=250AP

There were some boos in the Georgia Dome when Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork hobbled off the field.

But any concerns from Falcons fans that he might just be trying to slow the pace of play were put to rest a few moments later.

Wilfork was just hauled to the locker room with his right shoe and sock off, after being checked by trainers. His return has been termed questionable.

That leaves the Patriots very thin inside, leaving them to rely on Tommy Kelley and a pair of rookies in Joe Vellano and Chris Jones.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/29/vince-wilfork-hauled-off-early-on/

Patriots have run 24 of their 43 snaps with 3 or more WRs tonight, highlighting high usage of No. 3 WR.

diagnosed as a neck injury.  Questionable return.

Dobson in a ton of pain, clutching at high shoulder, clavicle area. Head got bent back pretty badly.

And that's WITHOUT Gronk and Amendola, neither of whom will likely play against us next weekend. Yikes. That said, what a statement win it would be to beat these guys. Just like with Peyton Manning, I do not believe we have ever beaten Tom Brady either. Put up or shut up. 

And that's WITHOUT Gronk and Amendola, neither of whom will likely play against us next weekend. Yikes. That said, what a statement win it would be to beat these guys. Just like with Peyton Manning, I do not believe we have ever beaten Tom Brady either. Put up or shut up. 

from what I've read, both could/should play.

actually it sounds like Gronk may be back next week.  Not sure.

Amendola it sounds like he's either back next week or the week after.  

There's weird stories circulating about both those guys. With Gronk, there's a story on NFL.com that his Dad, of all people, may have influenced the delay in his return. I've read online as well that Amendola's injury is a groin tear off the bone (ala Ken Griffey), but who knows if that's true or not. Gronkowski scares me a hell of a lot more than Amendola, especially if our secondary isn't 100% by then....and who knows what's going on with that.

Tons of QBs looked bad this week... Actually, every week. Falcon's fans probably want to get rid of Ryan. Gotta wonder what Seahawk fans are saying about Wilson after today. I work with Redskins' fans so I hear all about starting Cousins. Arizona fans aren't happy at all with Palmer. Bears' fans at the bar were bitching endlessly about Cutler today. Being an NFL QB means that your "fans" are going to bitch about you A LOT... Unless you're Brady or Manning and even then, people bitched about Manning until he won a Super Bowl.

I don't know. Doesn't he make quite a bit of money? Ryan has never impressed me considering.

I was joking. You may be right. Ryan has gotten further in the playoffs than Andy has but with better talent on offense too. But I want a quarterback with a nickname like "Matty Ice" rather than "The Red Rifle." It just sounds more badass.

After the way Tony G played, our game plan should probably have more than 5-6 balls to our tight ends.  I'm not sure how many went to them yesterday, but I can't imagine they have more than 10 targets combined.

ask and ye shall receive.

Passes to WRs: 25 targets, 11 catches, 76 yards. Passes to RB and TE: 17 targets, 12 catches, 130 yards.

I think it was probably 11 as I think Bernard caught all 6 of his targets.  But yea, the TE's should be getting 16 targets minimum a game.  

ask and ye shall receive.

Passes to WRs: 25 targets, 11 catches, 76 yards. Passes to RB and TE: 17 targets, 12 catches, 130 yards.

I think it was probably 11 as I think Bernard caught all 6 of his targets.  But yea, the TE's should be getting 16 targets minimum a game.  

I know at least one of those was a throw-away as Eifert climbed a ladder and grabbed it.  I feel like there was another one as well.  I just thought of another where they ran a screen to Jermaine on 3rd and forever as well.  I'm not sure those really count in the grand scheme of things.  Gonzo had 12 catches on what I believe was 14 targets last night.  We are going to need some big days from both tight ends because Talib is another good corner.  He isn't Haden, but he isn't too far behind.

I could not figure out the game plan for the life of me. It felt like one of those games in 2011 where all they thought they could do was chuck it up to AJ. 

^^This

It also highlights the still lingering problem that the offense (apart from Bernard) still cannot do shit unless AJ is freed up.

Archived