AJ going COC.

I began seeing this last year, but I mentioned this in the game day thread and a few others have made mention there and elsewhere,  that AJ is starting to get that Chad Johnson body language.  You know, the exasperation, resigned, frustrated body language that Chad got when he adroitly got open and didn't get the ball thrown him accurately or at all.  I'm noticing it more and more.

I think this will be and issue when it comes time to resign him to his second contract.  If he doesn't have a QB with the accuracy or the arm to get him the ball, he take his ball and go home...and find a team that has one.

We are even seeing him being on the wrong read with Dalton more in this short season that all of last year.   I also noticed last year he started just giving up on routes like he didn't have the confidence that AD was going to be able or willing to pitch it to him.  It seems to be continuing again this year. 

All this just gives that deja vu feeling (all over again).  I keep getting this bad feeling he'll start to look for greener pastures at first opportunity.

Tough shit for AJ--the Bengals have an option for a 5th year...and then he could be tagged after that. So, basically he's fucked if he wants to leave.

Also, Mr. Top 5 receiver isn't exactly busting his ass these days. He's not fighting for the ball when it's thrown to him, he isn't blocking down field, he isn't getting open like he has in the past, and it looks like he's running the wrong routes at times (although that may be on Opie). Basically he's looking VERY ORDINARY this year. He's definitely part of the problem.

Before he goes COC (which he won't--guy is level-headed), he would also do well to look in a mirror. I don't notice the half-assed route running as much as I see the total off-the-page route running. Yeah the QB might misread one of these a game (maybe), but I have seen AJ--and not just yesterday--go to a wrong place multiple times during the 4 games.   

Tough shit for AJ--the Bengals have an option for a 5th year...and then he could be tagged after that. So, basically he's fucked if he wants to leave.Also, Mr. Top 5 receiver isn't exactly busting his ass these days. He's not fighting for the ball when it's thrown to him, he isn't blocking down field, he isn't getting open like he has in the past, and it looks like he's running the wrong routes at times (although that may be on Opie). Basically he's looking VERY ORDINARY this year. He's definitely part of the problem.

Agree, if Green is elite he should be able to beat man on man coverage, which for the last three games he's been struggling to do.

Tough shit for AJ--the Bengals have an option for a 5th year...and then he could be tagged after that. So, basically he's fucked if he wants to leave.

Also, Mr. Top 5 receiver isn't exactly busting his ass these days. He's not fighting for the ball when it's thrown to him, he isn't blocking down field, he isn't getting open like he has in the past, and it looks like he's running the wrong routes at times (although that may be on Opie). Basically he's looking VERY ORDINARY this year. He's definitely part of the problem.

Well, when you basically run the same 2 or 3 routes every game, what do you expect?  Teams are playing a safety over top on EVERY play with AJ negating the bomb.   Sending him downfield 20 yards on almost every play is stupid.  Rice did much of his damage after a 7 to 10 yard completion.  

Agree, if Green is elite he should be able to beat man on man coverage, which for the last three games he's been struggling to do.

Not if he is basically running the same routes every game.  The dbacks do watch film I am told.  Line him up in the slot or throw slants to him.  

Lapham mentioned that AJ has not been sent across the middle much if at all this season. IIRC they did get him on crossing routes once or twice in the second half of the Cleveland game.

AJ is not playing like an All-Pro, it's funny how that turns into another backhanded bash on Dalton though. The entire passing game is out of sync and it's not one guy's fault. Everyone needs to step up, AJ Green included.

Before he goes COC (which he won't--guy is level-headed), he would also do well to look in a mirror. I don't notice the half-assed route running as much as I see the total off-the-page route running. Yeah the QB might misread one of these a game (maybe), but I have seen AJ--and not just yesterday--go to a wrong place multiple times during the 4 games.   

I am not saying any of this isn't true.  But if it is then I wonder why? That is the real question that needs to be answered.

Does he not know the routes?  Doesn't care?  What?

it'll work itself out.  Don't forget that when the coaches asked him during the draft "if you had a choice which guy would you draft to throw the ball to you?"  Green chose Dalton without hesitation.  It's not like he got stuck with a guy he didn't want.

I'll bet you he wouldn't give the same answer today...

Lapham mentioned that AJ has not been sent across the middle much if at all this season. IIRC they did get him on crossing routes once or twice in the second half of the Cleveland game.

AJ is not playing like an All-Pro, it's funny how that turns into another backhanded bash on Dalton though. The entire passing game is out of sync and it's not one guy's fault. Everyone needs to step up, AJ Green included.

AJ runs the route he is assigned.  The fact he is NOT going over the middle is on Gruden, not him.

BTW, nothing against Dane Sanzenbacher but why was he on the field yesterday?  Did I miss something?  Somebody piss off a coach?

AJ runs the route he is assigned.  The fact he is NOT going over the middle is on Gruden, not him.

BTW, nothing against Dane Sanzenbacher but why was he on the field yesterday?  Did I miss something?  Somebody piss off a coach?

why not have Dane out there?  He did what was asked of him and Jones and Sanu weren't having good games.

Well, when you basically run the same 2 or 3 routes every game, what do you expect?  Teams are playing a safety over top on EVERY play with AJ negating the bomb.   Sending him downfield 20 yards on almost every play is stupid.  Rice did much of his damage after a 7 to 10 yard completion.  

Not if he is basically running the same routes every game.  The dbacks do watch film I am told.  Line him up in the slot or throw slants to him.  

Right on! 

AJ missed a lot of training camp with that knee injury.  I wonder if he is just behind the curve right now?  He has not been as reliable as he was in the past.  He had a pretty good game in Chicago, but did cause one of the INTs. 

Defenses are daring someone else to beat them right now and Gruden/Dalton have not found an answer.  I cannot understand why we don't attack the middle of the field more with our TEs.  Jones and Sanu I thought played better against GB, but seemed pretty absent yesterday.

We'll see what next week brings, but I hope this was just a case of a bad day at the office.  They did have a short week to get ready for Green Bay due to Monday night.  And, I think the Green Bay game drained them.  The season is early and 2-2 has us in the race.  For as upset as we are about our team, I would hate to see how Pittsburgh, NY or Atlanta are saying about their teams.  Even Colin Kaepernick has had some bad games so far.

AJ missed a lot of training camp with that knee injury.  I wonder if he is just behind the curve right now?  He has not been as reliable as he was in the past.  He had a pretty good game in Chicago, but did cause one of the INTs. 

Defenses are daring someone else to beat them right now and Gruden/Dalton have not found an answer.  I cannot understand why we don't attack the middle of the field more with our TEs.  Jones and Sanu I thought played better against GB, but seemed pretty absent yesterday.

We'll see what next week brings, but I hope this was just a case of a bad day at the office.  They did have a short week to get ready for Green Bay due to Monday night.  And, I think the Green Bay game drained them.  The season is early and 2-2 has us in the race.  For as upset as we are about our team, I would hate to see how Pittsburgh, NY or Atlanta are saying about their teams.  Even Colin Kaepernick has had some bad games so far.

I wish they'd start using Green as a decoy more.  For example, in the redzone, why throw a fade to Green with Haden on him when Eifert is split to the other side with a 9 inch advantage over his guy?

I like Dane, just wondering if someone had some insight.   

My guess would be he was put in because every other WR ran routes like The Walking Dead. Unbelievable, Dalton leaves the pocket on one play and nobody makes any type of effort to come back to the ball. It was the worst performance I've seen since these guys arrived in 2011. It reminds me so much of last year when after starting 3-1, we went on to lose to Cleveland and Miami. I thought we would learn from that this year, obviously I was wrong. 

we used to have a real good qb with shitty WR's now we have real good WR's with shitty QB

At what point yesterday did it look like our "real good WR's" were getting separation from the defensive backs covering them? I'm very curious on this one because if you actually spotted this, I immediately call for you to replace both Dalton and Gruden as QB/Offensive Coordinator.

If you ask me, in watching that tire fire of a football game, I would say Dalton was awful, extremely skittish in the pocket, afraid to step into any of this throws (even when he had time) and horribly inaccurate on almost all of his passes.  I would also say he might have thrown 2-3 passes all game long to WR's/TE's who got any sort of separation. Dalton has been bad for the most part this season but his WR's have been just as bad, maybe even worse.

P.S. Not to mention the fact that they have also fumbled away 3 balls in 4 weeks.

My guess would be he was put in because every other WR ran routes like The Walking Dead. Unbelievable, Dalton leaves the pocket on one play and nobody makes any type of effort to come back to the ball. It was the worst performance I've seen since these guys arrived in 2011. It reminds me so much of last year when after starting 3-1, we went on to lose to Cleveland and Miami. I thought we would learn from that this year, obviously I was wrong. 

Any sport and any level of that sport...you play as you are coached to play.  It's always been that way and always will be.

On paper the Bengals are as talented as any in the NFL.   They should be undefeated. 

If they're matched up against a good defense, the WRs aren't going to get open very often. The QB has to make a good throw. That's how you pass on a good defense. A good defense isn't going to have the ability to stop plays from happening all the time, but I feel most of the times they'll at least negate YAC by prompt tackling. The QB just has to be more accurate, man. Our guys don't always have great separation because the guys on the other side are getting paid too. But at least the offense knows where each other should be at certain times

Archived