Off Season Thread 2013-14

BigDawgBengal

I saw Walt was trying to work out a long-term contract with Bailey as well.  I'd love to see them get rid of Brandon and be able to keep Homer and Mat.  No matter what, great pitching will always keep you in the game.

Except you can't win a game with 0 runs.  I would not mind seeing an arm traded for a bat.

They're inviting Robert Stephenson to big league camp this year.

He was our 1st round pick in 2011 and is rated our top overall prospect by Baseball America  Walt said they're trying to fast track him.

Don't see him making the roster though. Most likely a 2015 guy.

I see them as being hamstrung by the contracts to Votto and Ludwick.   Maybe Price will be more inclined to base his lineups on who is hitting at the moment rather than who has been in the league the longest or how much their voice reminds him of Willie Mays, but he's really going to have to find some runs hiding somewhere. 

Basically Votto is going to have to return to near-MVP form instead of being just a (comically dour) OBP guy & someone (probably more like 2-3 someones) will need to suddenly perform well over the numbers on the back of their cards. Hamilton will need to do a good bit more than run fast. And, of course, the starting rotation & bullpen have to stay relatively healthy and consistent, like any other team.

I'm not writing off the season before it starts but I'm having a hard time finding much reason for optimism.

Is Hamilton the CF?

If he is I have concerns about the top 2 in the order.  Especially if it's Hamilton-Cozart/Frazier.

Can see a low avg between those spots.

Yes, Hamilton will likely play CF and bat 1 unless he has a horrible spring.

If Votto is going to hit like a 2 hitter, bat him 2 and BP 3, Bruce 4, Ludwick 5, Mes 6, Frazier7 and Cozart 8.

Yes, Hamilton will likely play CF and bat 1 unless he has a horrible spring.

If Votto is going to hit like a 2 hitter, bat him 2 and BP 3, Bruce 4, Ludwick 5, Mes 6, Frazier7 and Cozart 8.

I would go for this lineup. Separates your left handers and hopefully get Votto some pitches to swing at (if he will).

I must say I am concerned Hamilton isn't ready and we don't have another even decent option. The thought of Heisy being an every day starter in CF is not a good one.

Yes, Hamilton will likely play CF and bat 1 unless he has a horrible spring..

Seems like it would make more sense to have Heisey or better yet someone more productive playing CF and batting first UNTIL Hamilton has a *good* Spring, but what do I know. I'm hoping the guy becomes the Babe Ruth of bunting by opening day.

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Roger Bernadina (who was in DC last season and eventually Philly) is expected to be signed to a minor league deal.

Just heard this on the radio, dude hit something like .230 over six seasons.

IMG_0084.JPG

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Roger Bernadina (who was in DC last season and eventually Philly) is expected to be signed to a minor league deal.

Well there we go. There's the big off season move we've been waiting for. :ninja:

In all seriousness, I think the points about Votto raising his level of play is going to be a big factor. All those walks are fine Joey, if you have Miguel Cabrera behind you.

Well there we go. There's the big off season move we've been waiting for. :ninja:

In all seriousness, I think the points about Votto raising his level of play is going to be a big factor. All those walks are fine Joey, if you have Miguel Cabrera behind you.

I think votto is going to do what he does. Hopefully he hits a little better and doesnt walk quite as much, but I think Ludwick and Frazier are going to determine how this season goes (outside the normal things like health). If we stay healthy, our pitching staff should be really good and guys like bruce and votto and phillips should produce. Its our 4 and 6 hitters that are going to make the biggest difference on if we can make a true run or not.

Bummer.  He becomes a legit competitor for the WC.  Arizona just needs pitching to become a contender.  Hopefully he falls apart this year.

Hope this means Burnett is going to the O's.

Kinda sad to see Arroyo go actually. Always took the ball every turn and would usually pitch fairly well.

Sure he would get blown up at times, but then he would go out and give you 7 innings of 1 run ball the next time.

Certainly going to miss his dependability, the guy was just never hurt.

I think he does well in their ballpark.

Archived