Off Season Thread 2013-14

BigDawgBengal

Trade Speculation About Cincinnati Reds Second Baseman Brandon Phillips Just Getting Started

The speculation that the Cincinnati Reds are actively shopping All-Star second baseman Brandon Phillips will continue to swirl despite the latest development that the Reds are not contenders for Cuban middle infielder Alexander Guerrero.

With four years and $50 million left on his contract ending after the 2017 season, Phillips will appeal to many teams for both his offensive production (103 RBIs in 2013) and his Gold Glove defense. His age (32) may cause pause for some teams, but Phillips is still close enough to his prime that some of his substandard 2013 numbers (.261 batting average and a .310 on-base percentage that was the lowest of his eight-year Reds' career) won't negate his trade appeal.

But why would the Reds want to trade Phillips?

Shin-Soo Choo

If the Reds decide to win the Shin-Soo Choo free-agent sweepstakes, the payroll state of the team would be unparalleled (over $120 million for 2014). Trading Phillips would provide the most realistic payroll relief available to offset the exorbitant price for Choo, which is likely to approach the $18-million-per-year average recently received by San Francisco Giants outfielder Hunter Pence.

Signing Choo and trading Phillips would allow the Reds to temporarily return Hamilton to the middle infield as a replacement for Phillips. Hamilton played second in rookie ball in 2010 before switching to shortstop full time in 2011 and 2012. Re-positioning Hamilton at 2B in 2014 would allow Choo to play center for one more year before shifting to left once Ryan Ludwick is bought out of his 2015 option and Hamilton could then return to center.

Changing of the Guard

The firing of manager Dusty Baker after the Reds' wild-card loss was a shot across the bow by the front office and ownership of the Reds. As much as Phillips has been a stalwart on the field and at the plate for the Reds, his past contribution won't outweigh the need for change if that change is deemed to improve the club's chances of advancing deeper into the postseason.

A makeover may be needed more than anything else for the Reds to shake the playoff problems experienced three of the past four years. No Baker and no Phillips in the clubhouse could clear the air for the rest of the team and help to refocus the Reds for a much fresher start in 2014.

Phillips also drew unwanted attention to the team in 2013 for his expletive-ridden attack on a reporter and his comments in a magazine about how his $72.5-million contract extension was a slap in the face.

Trade Return for Phillips

Dumping Phillips' contract would be the top priority for the Reds if he is traded as part of a plan to sign Choo, but Phillips should still command a promising prospect or two in return.

The Baltimore Orioles are a fitting partner for the Reds, given the free-agent status of 2B Brian Roberts and the injury status of 3B Manny Machado. The Orioles may opt to roll the dice with prospect Jonathan Schoop at second from the start of the season, but with the productive bat of Machado missing, the Orioles would be wiser to trade for a proven producer like Phillips.

Trading Phillips would be bittersweet for Reds Country given the great play and fan appreciation Phillips has shown over the years. But if it meant that the on-base machine Choo could be a part of the Reds' long-term future, then it's a trade that would be understood.

Yahoo Sports

I imagine they would have to sign Guerrero if they got rid of Brandon.  If they want to be realistic about being a contender. Getting rid of Brandon for good return may not be the worst thing possible.  I am sick of him getting down 0-2 in every single count.  Would love to see a consistent bat at second base.  Had a ton of RBI's, but he two of the top OBP guys in the league in front of him.

There is also talk about trading Bailey as he doesn't have a lot of interest in re-signing long term with us.  Sounds like our window is closing..

I would honestly consider trading Phillips and Votto. Free up a huge amount of money to make alot of moves.

I wasn't a huge fan of the votto contract from the beginning. Paying 1/4 of your payroll to one guy I don't really like. Especially given the reds market. We aren't talking about the yankees or red sox here.

I'm open to trading him if they get good value and find a suitable replacement.

He's a great defender, but he's an inconsistent hitter, on the backside of his career, and his attitude often sucks. 

Something needs to change with the lineup.  They need more consistent bats.  I know BP was near the top for RBI guys, but they have to make changes somewhere.  If they can get out from under his contract and put that cash elsewhere, I say go for it.

I'll agree on the hitting coach.  They were awful at working pitchers this year.  Too many first pitch pop-outs.  We need some patience, which I think would lead to batters hitting better with RISP.

They need a bat, somewhere.  They need to be able to stop leaving so many guys stranded.  

They also need to start building a better farm system.  Pittsburgh and St. Louis are stacked.  It would be nice to get some top notch guys for Homer and move Aroldis to the rotation or bring Arroyo back.

‘For Sale’ sign on Phillips’ neck

By Hal McCoy | Saturday, October 19, 2013, 03:00 PM
UNSOLICITED OBSERVATIONS from The Man Cave, watching with wonder as the St. Louis Cardinals, like the Mighty Mississippi, just keep rolling along.

THERE IS NO doubt that there is a ‘Make Best Offer’ sign dangling around the neck of Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips. The ‘Welcome’ mat in front of his locker in Great American Ball Park is worn out.

The reason is twofold: By dealing Phillips the Reds rid themselves of a contract worth $50 million over the next four years and they rid themselves of a troublesome personality in the clubhouse.

Phillips became persona non grata and probably sealed his fate in August when he told Cincinnati Magazine that the front office lied to him, when he said the club promised to talk to him about a contract extension before they talked to Joey Votto, but extended Votto’s contract before they addressed his.

THE MOODY SECOND baseman dug the trench deeper late in the season when he barged into manager Dusty Baker’s office in Denver during a press briefing and verbally assaulted writer C. Trent Rosecrans.

And it didn’t do Baker any good, either, when he smiled on camera and said, “That’s between you two.”

While Phillips is popular with fans through his Twitter account and his willingness to sign autographs, he is not so popular in the clubhouse and is thought of as a self-promoter.

Said one man who is in the clubhouse every day, “You can’t tell by Brandon’s face whether we won or lost, but you can tell if he went 0 for 4 or 2 for 4 no matter if we won or lost.”

AND IT DID PHILLIPS no good when he disappeared in September — 18 for 95 (.175), four RBI, one home run, three doubles as his team collapsed into the rubbish pile.

For the year, mostly batting fourth, Phillips drove in 103 runs, his first year of more than 100 RBI. And he was proud of it. But it must be considered that Shin-Soo Choo and Joey Votto, batting ahead of him, reached base 616 times, so shouldn’t Phillips had driven in many, many more?

Most of the time Phillips is cooperative and incisive with the media. At other times he shuts down, refuses interviews.

THERE IS NO DOUBT Phillips is one of the best defensive second basemen in baseball, perhaps one of the best all-time and better than Joe Morgan.

Some of his plays are spectacular. Some are made up by Phillips on the spur of the moment — most of them to the team’s benefit. Most players on other teams consider him a hot dog and when asked once about it, Phillips smiles and said, “Tell ‘em to bring their own mustard.”

One play he made this season might cost him a Gold Glove because is was so hot doggish is needed mustard, ketchup, relish, onions and chili.

With his back to the runner, facing the outfield, Phillips took a throw dropped his glove between his legs to make the tag.

QUESTION? CAN THE Reds trade him? Will other teams want him? He quickly wore out his welcome in Cleveland. At least one National League scout said late last year, “I wouldn’t have that guy on my team.”

There is a report that the Atlanta Braves would take him. Phillips is from nearby Stone Mountain, Ga. The rub is that the Braves want the Reds to take Dan Uggla off their hands. Uggla, coming off a bad season, is owed $26 million over the next two seasons.

Uggla is coming off three subpar and declining seasons for the Braves — .233, .220, .179, although he hit 77 home runs and drove in 215 runs. But the Braves were so disenchanted that they left him off their postseason roster.

I'm not against trading Phillips but not for another bad contract in ugla. I would do it to free salary AND get younger. Uggla wouldn't accomplish either.

I'm more pro trading Phillips, but the Uggla idea is completely stupid. He's far worse and more expensive than Phillips... I don't think there's a 3rd guy they could add that would even make it remotely realistic.

One if the biggest reasons to trade Phillips is it may be now or never since he earns 10/5 rights this year.

Jim Leyland anyone?  Just stepped down as Tigers manager.

Would be nice but I cant see it happening. If he walks away from one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and Miguel Cabrera, I cant see him wanting to come here. I think he is 68 years old so he is probably just going to retire. 

Would be nice but I cant see it happening. If he walks away from one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and Miguel Cabrera, I cant see him wanting to come here. I think he is 68 years old so he is probably just going to retire. 

I hadn't read any of the stories, I had thought maybe it was a "we both need a change of scenery" situation.

I hadn't read any of the stories, I had thought maybe it was a "we both need a change of scenery" situation.

From what I have briefly read about him leaving, it sounds like he doesn't want to manage anymore but might take a front office position somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived