Texas high school gets a complaint filed against them for winning 91-0

Go Skins

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9863505/aledo-football-coach-tim-buchanan-accused-bullying-91-0-win

Aledo football coach Tim Buchanan was sitting in his Texas office Saturday morning watching game film from a 91-0 victory over Western Hills on Friday night when an email popped up on his computer.

The subject line read "Bullying report."

Buchanan couldn't believe it and thought it was a joke until he read the email and realized a Western Hills parent had filled out the district's online form, accusing the coaching staff of bullying thanks to the lopsided score.

Buchanan spent an hour in the superintendent's office this week and the school is currently investigating, as mandated by the state. The Aledo principal told Buchanan that a written report is expected in the next day or so, something required by state law. Buchanan -- who is in his 21st season as head coach at Aledo and said he has never been accused of bullying -- said he has the support of the Aledo administration.

"[The report filed] compliments our players, saying they showed extremely good sportsmanship," Buchanan said Tuesday morning. "This was not directed at our team, but the coaching staff for not instructing our players to ease up and quit playing hard once the game was in hand."

Western Hills coach John Naylor, whose team dropped to 0-7, didn't have any issues with how Buchanan and his staff handled the game, telling the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that the athletes played hard and didn't "talk at all."

"They're No. 1 for a reason, and I know Coach Buchanan," Naylor told the newspaper. "We're fighting a real uphill battle right now."

Undefeated Aledo, No. 1 in the Associated Press Class 4A state poll (the second-highest classification in the state), is racking up ridiculous yardage and crushing opponents this season. They are averaging just shy of 70 points per game, making some of those games essentially over before halftime.

In fact, at the half Friday, it was 56-0 and Buchanan and his coaching staff spent the intermission trying to figure out how to tap the offensive brakes without embarrassing Western Hills or hindering his own team's progress. Buchanan had one thought: "What are we going to do to not score 100?"

But he was also balancing that with the fact that his team is going to start facing tougher competition in the coming weeks and he wants to be sure his starters are used to playing at least some in the second half.

Buchanan simplified the playbook. He put in the second- and third-team offensive line and got the backups as much time as he could, while still playing a few starters here and there at the beginning of the third quarter. He told his punt returner to fair-catch the ball. All told, his offense had 32 snaps. His starters began coming out in the third quarter, some of them having played just 16 snaps, Buchanan said. The Bearcats rushed for 391 yards with eight touchdowns.

Buchanan said his starting running back touched the ball six times and scored four touchdowns. His backup kept finding holes as well, even without the starting offensive line in the game.

"I can't tell the backups not to play hard," Buchanan said. "They've worked their tails off all week. They've lifted weights in the offseason. I'm not going to tell them not to play."

But he did whatever he could to try to slow down his offense short of taking a knee in the third quarter.

The result was another easy win, but also some time in the principal's office after the report was filed.

Buchanan is now trying to focus on preparing his team for the schedule to stiffen and to be fully ready for the playoffs and a shot at a state title.

Perhaps a mercy rule could be implemented for such lopsided games?

I remember when I played high school baseball that if one team was down by 10 or more by the end of the 5th inning the game would end.

Maybe they could add something that says if a team is down by 50 or more going in to the 4th that the game ends?

Might save against some "payback" injuries too.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9867314/aledo-coaches-cleared-bullying-victory-fort-worth-western-hills

Aledo (Texas) football coach Tim Buchanan said the district has completed its investigation and found "no grounds" for bullying after a parent from the losing team filed a complaint following Aledo's 91-0 win over Fort Worth Western Hills on Friday.

Aledo, The Associated Press' No. 1-ranked Class 4A team in the state, led 56-0 at the half and went on to the lopsided victory despite playing mostly second- and third-team players in the final two quarters. Buchanan said he had his punt returner fair-catch balls after he had two long returns (including a touchdowns) in the first half. He put in his backups and simplified the playbook, but that didn't stop his team from scoring points in bunches.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9867314/aledo-coaches-cleared-bullying-victory-fort-worth-western-hills

Aledo (Texas) football coach Tim Buchanan said the district has completed its investigation and found "no grounds" for bullying after a parent from the losing team filed a complaint following Aledo's 91-0 win over Fort Worth Western Hills on Friday.

Aledo, The Associated Press' No. 1-ranked Class 4A team in the state, led 56-0 at the half and went on to the lopsided victory despite playing mostly second- and third-team players in the final two quarters. Buchanan said he had his punt returner fair-catch balls after he had two long returns (including a touchdowns) in the first half. He put in his backups and simplified the playbook, but that didn't stop his team from scoring points in bunches.

I agree. Absolutely no grounds for this, and one complaint shouldn't put all this in motion.

I agree. Absolutely no grounds for this, and one complaint shouldn't put all this in motion.

I agree with you, buuuuuuuttttt - you know how the guvment is. There is a checklist for EVERYTHING and they have to follow it to the letter.

And yeah BengalRep - no kidding about the payback injuries, because I know what I would have done as a stupid 17 year old, getting humiliated like that...

Another thing - if they keep on abusing the word 'bullying', the cases that need attention are going to be ignored because people are going to get tired of hearing it for EVERYTHING, like dumb shit about football scores.

Jesus wept for Texas. And then wept again. Christ almighty, is this serious? If everything in the articles is true, you had a state championship-bound (in TEXAS! Where HS football is SERIOUS!!) HS football team playing against a nobody team that didn't even have a win yet. Do the accusations of bullying then run up into the collegiate ranks when Texas beats the Mercy Sisters Of The Blind 87-2? No? Then why here? 

Obviously running up the score is something college programs do on purpose ALL THE TIME to improve their BCS rankings. I agree that teaching sportsmanship is important and all, but if you put in your third team and you are STILL scoring TD's at will, then one of two things has to happen: establish some kind of mercy rules, since the scores in HS football don't matter like they do in college, OR, simply admit the fact that sometimes these things happen and deal with it.

Jesus wept for Texas again, but it had nothing to do with football. Possibly it was an overabundance of redneck Republicans. In this case however, I am going to defend them until evidence comes up to the contrary.

It's competitive sports for a reason. Not keeping score when kids are little and making it a "feel-good" sport or league works for 5 year olds playing soccer, but not at this level. 

i dont really agree here, with the bullying that goes on, and the fact that kids all over are killing themselves over it, every complaint should be looked into, and not just by a single teacher or singe principle.. hit up CNN or google and search teen bullying suicide, and read the details, each one of them involves a teacher and or principle looking the other way or playing it off as "kids will be kids" in every single case. 

looking back at the bully shit that went on even when i was in middle and high school , which is NOTHING compared to today, and place that behavior in a workplace or even in public, and you are fired and or arrested immediately... i file a claim about anything thats part of the kids bullying today at work, and there is a full HR investigation. and someone is for damn sure fired... if not the people and the managers...

id rather waste some superintendents time 30 straight times if it counts 1 time and stops some kid from hanging himself...

• 1 year later...

i dont really agree here, with the bullying that goes on, and the fact that kids all over are killing themselves over it, every complaint should be looked into, and not just by a single teacher or singe principle.. hit up CNN or google and search teen bullying suicide, and read the details, each one of them involves a teacher and or principle looking the other way or playing it off as "kids will be kids" in every single case. 

looking back at the bully shit that went on even when i was in middle and high school , which is NOTHING compared to today, and place that behavior in a workplace or even in public, and you are fired and or arrested immediately... i file a claim about anything thats part of the kids bullying today at work, and there is a full HR investigation. and someone is for damn sure fired... if not the people and the managers...

id rather waste some superintendents time 30 straight times if it counts 1 time and stops some kid from hanging himself...

Amen

Two totally different issues in my mind.  I agree wholeheartedly with you when someone reports Bullying on an individual.  I think every time that occurs, it should go thru the system and be vigorously investigated.  However, in team sports, you are sometimes going to take a Butt Whipping, and just because you do, doesn't make it a Bullying offense.  I remember playing sports in high school, and beating one team 70+ to 0, early in the year, and getting beat by someone 65-7 later in the same season.  That wasn't bullying, that was called taking an Asswhipping. 

Two totally different issues in my mind.  I agree wholeheartedly with you when someone reports Bullying on an individual.  I think every time that occurs, it should go thru the system and be vigorously investigated.  However, in team sports, you are sometimes going to take a Butt Whipping, and just because you do, doesn't make it a Bullying offense.  I remember playing sports in high school, and beating one team 70+ to 0, early in the year, and getting beat by someone 65-7 later in the same season.  That wasn't bullying, that was called taking an Asswhipping. 

fair enough, i think since it wasnt about a person perhaps a different type of handling would make sense..

my kid plays private league basketball, they have mercy rules in place, if you are up 15 points, you cannot full court press at all,  but the other team can press you. thes are games where a team is lucky to score 30 points, so a 15 point lead is a LOT...

it amkes sense and keeps the coaches honest, the refs handle it.. a few coaches are shitbags and would gladly run up the score.. my kids team got killed last week, by a team that has been together 3 years, practices year round, etc.. the annoying part is the parents. the other teams parents were pretty annoying, and most had their kids decked out in pointless basketball equipment.. 4 foot 5 kids wearing shooting sleeves, i cant even believe they make shooting sleeves that small, one kid probably had $200 in gear on, jordans, jordan socks, jordan fitted shirt, a jordan brand shooting sleeve (had to be 2" diameter sleeve, looked so ridiculous) and that kid sucked, and the one basket he made the mom screamed bloody murder and jumped out of her seat..

its frustrating to deal with other kids parents... and it shows why some kids are total pricks already... 

slightly off topic...

fair enough, i think since it wasnt about a person perhaps a different type of handling would make sense..

my kid plays private league basketball, they have mercy rules in place, if you are up 15 points, you cannot full court press at all,  but the other team can press you. thes are games where a team is lucky to score 30 points, so a 15 point lead is a LOT...

it amkes sense and keeps the coaches honest, the refs handle it.. a few coaches are shitbags and would gladly run up the score.. my kids team got killed last week, by a team that has been together 3 years, practices year round, etc.. the annoying part is the parents. the other teams parents were pretty annoying, and most had their kids decked out in pointless basketball equipment.. 4 foot 5 kids wearing shooting sleeves, i cant even believe they make shooting sleeves that small, one kid probably had $200 in gear on, jordans, jordan socks, jordan fitted shirt, a jordan brand shooting sleeve (had to be 2" diameter sleeve, looked so ridiculous) and that kid sucked, and the one basket he made the mom screamed bloody murder and jumped out of her seat..

its frustrating to deal with other kids parents... and it shows why some kids are total pricks already... 

slightly off topic...

\

lol.. that is so funny..

I know the kids just want to look cool, but give me a break parents...

Archived