When it comes to knocking off Broncos, Bengals better suited than Patriots

The Cincinnati Bengals feel like they’re a quiet 9-4 as they inch closer toward the AFC North title. They made plenty of noise, however, in beating Indianapolis 42-28 at home on Sunday.

The win put the Bengals ahead of the Colts (8-5) for the No. 3 seed in the AFC playoffs, and kept the pressure on the New England Patriots (10-3), whom they are now chasing for No. 2. That should also make the current, No. 1, the Denver Broncos, nervous.

Denver’s only two losses of the season did come at Indianapolis and at New England. Those also are two teams Cincinnati has beaten at home. But this is not about what has happened before January. It’s about which fellow AFC division leader is built better to beat the Broncos in the playoffs.

While the Bengals are surging after their Week 12 bye, the Colts, because of injuries and evaporating support for Andrew Luck , are not the same team that beat the Broncos 39-33 right before their Week 8 bye. They've clinched the AFC South title, but don't look nearly as intimidating as they once did.

The Bengals dominated them in rushing offense (155 yards gained) and defense (62 yards allowed).  When they get efficient, explosive play from Andy Dalton and the passing game to go with their consistent control of both lines of scrimmage, nobody can beat them.

While we can look back on the fact the Patriots edged the Broncos, 34-31 in overtime in Week 12, we’ve also seen them pull off great escapes over the lowly Texans (34-31) and Browns (27-26) in two subsequent games. Now we just saw the Patriots lose their biggest offensive difference-maker, Rob Gronkowski , to a likely torn ACL.

Guess which defense did best in stymying Tom Brady and the Gronkowski-less Patriots earlier in the season? That would be the Bengals, during their 13-6 victory in Week 5.

The improving young Bengals remain a much better, more well-rounded team than either the Patriots or the Colts, and it starts with defense, even without its best player, injured defensive tackle Geno Atkins. The Bengals went into Week 14 with the No. 5 scoring defense, No. 6 total defense, No. 8 rushing defense and No. 8 pass defense. Neither the Patriots nor the Colts are higher than No. 10 in any of those categories. The most glaring disparity is in the most important category of run defense, where the Colts started the week ranked 28th and the Patriots were ranked 31st.

Guess which part of the Bengals’ offense is humming at the time of year when it’s more critical? The running game. Don’t be fooled by the fact they haven’t had an individual 100-yard rusher in any game. They have found the right way to balance the use of old workhorseBenJarvus-Green Ellis (two TDs vs. the Colts) with dynamic, speedy rookie Giovani Bernard(148 yards from scrimmage).

Although they have given Dalton a versatile group of receivers, their identity is still forged by physical play up front that matches their defensive backbone. With every strong game Dalton has playing off the run, it builds confidence he can deliver that first playoff win after his third season.

The Bengals have been terrific at home (6-0), so it would be huge if they can pull even with the Patriots to get that No. 2 seed. Given the conditions at Cincinnati this time of year, they shouldn’t be intimidated by facing the Broncos in similar elements in Denver. They already know they can beat the Patriots and Colts.

Cincinnati has been building something special over the past two seasons, and it’s on the verge of having that next big breakthrough.

The Bengals have the run defense to contain the Broncos, and the pressure package to get to Peyton Manning, much bigger assets than what New England and Indianapolis have to offer in that matchup when there’s more on the line on the road.

There are many cracks in the Broncos’ defense, and the Bengals have many weapons (led by A.J. Green ) that can exploit them as much as the Patriots and Colts did.

The Bengals are starting to make noise at the right time, and they are the best bet to play Baltimore this season and spoil a Broncos season that once again has the look of going to the Super Bowl.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-08/nfl-week-14-scores-highlights-bengals-afc-threat-broncos-eagles-ravens-super-bowl

Maybe Zim was more concerned about Luck beating them with his legs, so more about contain.  But overall not the best effort by the Defense in the second half.   

Absolutely. On almost every snap, even late in the game, the ends went at the tackles head on. They ran a few inside stunts, but other than that, the line play was aimed to contain Andrew Luck. With the exception of the one big run, it worked.

The game plan against an immobile guy like Peyton Manning will be entirely different. If and when, the Bengals play the Broncos, you'll see the ends shooting up the field and a lot more twists and stunts.

Mike Zimmer's game plan always starts with the pressure package, and he does a GREAT job of tailoring it to the quarterback he's facing.

Absolutely. On almost every snap, even late in the game, the ends went at the tackles head on. They ran a few inside stunts, but other than that, the line play was aimed to contain Andrew Luck. With the exception of the one big run, it worked.

The game plan against an immobile guy like Peyton Manning will be entirely different. If and when, the Bengals play the Broncos, you'll see the ends shooting up the field and a lot more twists and stunts.

Mike Zimmer's game plan always starts with the pressure package, and he does a GREAT job of tailoring it to the quarterback he's facing.

Also, it's hard to fault the Defense once we were up by 21.  At that point, especially talking 2nd half, you just try to keep plays in front of you and make them burn the clock.  Aside from the two tackling debacles, there was only one true breakdown in the passing game, which was the TD over Newman where Crocker was WAY LATE (clearly Newman thought Crocker had over top and tried to catch up once he saw him cheating the wrong way).

I suspect the play that Zimmer will be most miffed about was the Andrew Luck 30+ yard scramble.  We were clearly mush-rushing all game (not even trying to get to him, often) and Peko tried to make a move and was taken to the ground - opening the lane and the gaping hole.

Still, I find myself not nearly as down on the defensive performance as so many on here.

The only thing that concerned me was that Luck got sacked 5 times the week before then they come here and we got ZERO sacks. I am very happy we won just saying I hope we could get better moving forward to getting lots of sacks. Cause if we wanna beat Manning we gotta sack his ass and cause him to make mistakes. The dude is unphased.

I think the key to beating Manning is making him make throws on the run.  Get a lot of inside pressure and take away Welker.  I'd feel a lot better about that matchup if we had Geno.  That offense is pretty incredible.

I think the key to beating Manning is making him make throws on the run.  Get a lot of inside pressure and take away Welker.  I'd feel a lot better about that matchup if we had Geno.  That offense is pretty incredible.

Yep, the Geno loss will hurt us the most against Brady and Manning.

Also, it's hard to fault the Defense once we were up by 21.  At that point, especially talking 2nd half, you just try to keep plays in front of you and make them burn the clock.  Aside from the two tackling debacles, there was only one true breakdown in the passing game, which was the TD over Newman where Crocker was WAY LATE (clearly Newman thought Crocker had over top and tried to catch up once he saw him cheating the wrong way).

I suspect the play that Zimmer will be most miffed about was the Andrew Luck 30+ yard scramble.  We were clearly mush-rushing all game (not even trying to get to him, often) and Peko tried to make a move and was taken to the ground - opening the lane and the gaping hole.

Still, I find myself not nearly as down on the defensive performance as so many on here.

I was disappointed in the tackling on the first two tds, but the rest of it, not that big a deal. Hard to keep the other team from getting yards when they go into 2 min drill in the third quarter.

The only thing that concerned me was that Luck got sacked 5 times the week before then they come here and we got ZERO sacks. I am very happy we won just saying I hope we could get better moving forward to getting lots of sacks. Cause if we wanna beat Manning we gotta sack his ass and cause him to make mistakes. The dude is unphased.

Luck looked anything but comfortable in the pocket today and it seemed like the game plan was to get to him on blitzes, which worked pretty well when they were called. The interior of the line didn't get much push though which is the main reason the ends didn't have a chance to make their plays. Overall I thought it was a good game by the unit, not perfect, but good.

The line pressured Luck plenty, just didn't get a sack on him.   The pressure was fine. 

I agree.l I have seen a lot of complaints about the lack of sacks, but it seemed to me from initial viewing that Zimmer had them focused on keeping luck in the pocket and squeezing him.  Marvin made reference a couple times to what a threat Luck is to run comparing him to both Rodgers and Newton in that way.

EDIT

Hadn't read the rest of the thread,, Nothing new here.

The line pressured Luck plenty, just didn't get a sack on him.   The pressure was fine. 

I'm certainly no expert, but I disagree. He had plenty of time to throw, i.e. no pressure. The coverage was good, which is why he kept completing those dump off passes.

Archived