Chargers Week Notes Part Deux

Perhaps I was wrong...

That's not true. Matthews for the Chargers practiced limited for the first time all week today and was listed as probable. It's supoosed to be a judgement as to how likely they are to play. Probable =75% Q =50/50 Doubtful =25% or worse

Did some research and you are indeed right.

I have no idea where that fool notion came into my head!

Did some research and you are indeed right.

I have no idea where that fool notion came into my head!

I think Marvin had traditionally been very conservative on his injury designations....whereas, it seems to me most "questionable" guys around the NFL play, at least in the past many of ours have not. That is what worries me a bit. He may have loosened that up this year though.

Simmons on Grantland picked us 27-24 (but also spent the rest of the column hating on Dalton and the Bengals, fuck that guy). I hope we crush the Patriots next weekend like Baltimore did a few years back.

Most of the talking heads are doing the "well but will Andy Dalton step up" routine. And that will be the case until he wins a playoff game. Same with Marvin.

Simmons on Grantland picked us 27-24 (but also spent the rest of the column hating on Dalton and the Bengals, fuck that guy). I hope we crush the Patriots next weekend like Baltimore did a few years back.

We will... I got it all figured out.

We win Sunday and then beat the Pats next week.

Colts beat KC and then win at Denver, they have already beat them.

AFC Championship game in Cincy....

And then we beat the 49ers in the Super Bowl...Makes up for the first two a little bit.

WHO-DEY!!!!!

Most of the talking heads are doing the "well but will Andy Dalton step up" routine. And that will be the case until he wins a playoff game. Same with Marvin.

If I were qb coach I'd tell Dalton to just go out and wing it. Looked thru your reads and step into the throw. Seems to me his biggest problems are early in the game when he is nervous/ tentative. Also forcing the ball the A J when he isn't open.

He does great when he plants his foot and zings it. To the open receiver. Also use your feet and run when the opportunities there.

Simmons goes beyond the standard "can this guy get it done in the playoffs" and actively shits on Dalton, i.e. doesn't even give him a chance. I like him besides that, his columns are usually pretty funny.

Well BS does get stuck on his points sometimes and beats them into submission, (see 1000 James Harden trade rants). It's just that you can go around the dial on the radio nationally or any NFL talking head proram on TV and hear some version of "Can I trust Andy Dalton?". It's like a political party talking point.

I have faith even if others do not.

- PS No passes on 1st and one from the sox inch line.

2013 Referee Report: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/111356/inside-slant-2013-referee-report

We have Triplette's crew (who gave us the BJGE TD against the Colts), highest penalty rate in the league. Also calls unsportsmanlike conduct at the highest rate. Book Burfict for a 15 yarder and Gresham for an untimely hold...

Remember Gilligan’s Island? If you don’t, here was the premise in a nutshell: Seven castaways, who otherwise would have nothing to do with each other, are stranded on a deserted island. At the end of every episode first mate Gilligan’s screwup prevents the crew from being rescued. Rather than hold his head underwater in the lagoon, the rest of the castaways continue to play along. That’s the NFL’s relationship with referee Jeff Triplette. For some reason, after a half-dozen or more examples of outrageous incompetence, he is somehow deemed a playoff-caliber official. Someone needs to hit him in the head with a coconut to set matters straight.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/87723/cousin-sals-nfl-wild-card-weekend-prop-bets

I have a dry sense of humour.

Wasn't the sense of humor, it was the language.  We say "ground" instead of "earth" when referring to electricity.  So it's a very strange word for us syntactically (thus the Hobbit Middle Earth connection on my part).

He does great when he plants his foot and zings it. To the open receiver. Also use your feet and run when the opportunities there.

That open receiver part is tricky.  In fact, he frequently goes out there and "just wings" it, which is the problem for many people - especially if he's "just winging it" to a double or triple covered AJ.  In fact, I'd much rather see us call a couple of read options plays with him or QB draws so he gets some contact and can take some hits.

What we want to avoid are the early Dalton INT scenarios, and these come most often IMO when he forces the ball.  It hasn't helped that he's regularly been told by his OC, as in the first San Diego game, to just throw it up and let AJ go get it regardless of the coverage.  That's just bag-of-rocks stupid.

It hasn't helped that he's regularly been told by his OC, as in the first San Diego game, to just throw it up and let AJ go get it regardless of the coverage.  That's just bag-of-rocks stupid.

I'd agree that telling him to do that is incredibly dumb, but are you sure that's happened more than once?  I can't say it wouldn't explain some things but I don't remember seeing any other reference to Gruden doing that.  Which, again, is pants-on-head 'tarded. I mean, if he's not going to let the QB make the read and throw it to the open man, maybe Jay should just suit up and play "huck it to AJ" himself.

Archived