Chargers Week Notes Part Deux

I'd agree that telling him to do that is incredibly dumb, but are you sure that's happened more than once?  I can't say it wouldn't explain some things but I don't remember seeing any other reference to Gruden doing that.  Which, again, is pants-on-head 'tarded. I mean, if he's not going to let the QB make the read and throw it to the open man, maybe Jay should just suit up and play "huck it to AJ" himself.

Lapham referred to it more than once today during the pep rally. Sounded like Jay gives Dalton different plays to choose from but ultimately tells him he just needs to let AJ make a play no matter what.

Sounded kind of screwy but Lapham just shrugged it off.

Lapham referred to it more than once today during the pep rally. Sounded like Jay gives Dalton different plays to choose from but ultimately tells him he just needs to let AJ make a play no matter what.

I have a hard time believing an NFL OC would tell his QB to throw it to a particular player regardless of coverage.  Maybe once, based on some kind of mismatch or whatever, but repeatedly?

I have a hard time believing an NFL OC would tell his QB to throw it to a particular player regardless of coverage.  Maybe once, based on some kind of mismatch or whatever, but repeatedly?

I agree. Lapham was still pissed off about the play call on 1st and goal at the 1/2 yard line. He gets fired up during a radio pep rally like he does during the game.

I disagree.. I think we have a more balanced team than the Chargers.. Snow and wind will make it hard to throw, and I'm not worried about anybody killing us on the ground.  I think between the weapons we have on offense and our defense I'll take those odds..

It's easier to win while tying one arm behind your back when you have 4 arms.

Being a more-balance won't mean much if the conditions force both teams to mostly run the ball (with the occasional short pass).  I worry about our 3.6 yards-per-carry average...especially when it seems more like 0.6 when "everyone" knows we're going to run it.  I also worry about our frequent inability to sufficiently cover tight ends.

...but what do I know?     :shrug:

Being a more-balance won't mean much if the conditions force both teams to mostly run the ball (with the occasional short pass).  I worry about our 3.6 yards-per-carry average...especially when it seems more like 0.6 when "everyone" knows we're going to run it.  I also worry about our frequent inability to sufficiently cover tight ends.

Having Dre shadow Gates in man coverage was a great plan by Zimmer. Sadly, it sounds like we won't have that ability on Sunday with Newman more than likely not playing.

Arena League.  That's what they did there. 

Gruden might want to start looking at the stats that have Dalton's numbers to AJ in the 70s and to everyone else in the 100's.  AJ is awesome and should get the ball - when he's open.

Well, it's true we have a sucky YPC average at 3.6, versus SD's at 4.0. 

However, take a little heart in the YPC average allowed by the team's D's.  They allow 4.6 vs our 4.0.  Add all of that up and we have a net gain of .2 yards!

(I know it doesn't work like that but I get to make myself feel better however I choose thank you very much)

The real story behind the stats actually lies with the atrocious defenses that SD has played this year. 

Jay and Andy have made references to this a lot, "just chuck it to AJ" really is something they do (or did) often. Especially during their rookie year. I think that is sort of tongue-in-cheek, but they do expect their All-Pro receiver to win one-on-one match ups.

Jay and Andy have made references to this a lot, "just chuck it to AJ" really is something they do (or did) often. Especially during their rookie year. I think that is sort of tongue-in-cheek, but they do expect their All-Pro receiver to win one-on-one match ups.

And they should, though he hasn't seemed to do so as consistently this year for whatever reason(s).  Still, you don't know he's got a 1 vs 1 matchup until the ball is snapped.  With all those offensive weapons there's absolutely no reason to throw it to anyone other than the best option on that particular play. IDK why he'd try to take the ball out of the QB's hands unless he has no faith in him to make the right read, but for the most part when he hasn't made a good read it's because he's forcing the ball to AJ.  I don't mean to excuse him for every INT but ordering him to target a receiver that's already near the top in both targets and drops makes no sense at all.

At least that's better than the plan they had last year in the playoffs where AJ was used as a decoy and didn't have a pass thrown to him until the second half...

And they should, though he hasn't seemed to do so as consistently this year for whatever reason(s).  Still, you don't know he's got a 1 vs 1 matchup until the ball is snapped.  With all those offensive weapons there's absolutely no reason to throw it to anyone other than the best option on that particular play. IDK why he'd try to take the ball out of the QB's hands unless he has no faith in him to make the right read, but for the most part when he hasn't made a good read it's because he's forcing the ball to AJ.  I don't mean to excuse him for every INT but ordering him to target a receiver that's already near the top in both targets and drops makes no sense at all.

Yeah, those stats about how many INT's Dalton has thrown in AJ's direction versus everyone else don't lie. It's clear that Dalton was forcing the ball to AJ sometimes, especially earlier in the season. Happily, it seems that Gruden and Dalton have recognized that fallacy and have tried plays that get other playmakers involved...a trend I can only hope continues on Sunday. This offense simply has too many weapons to ignore them and just rely on throwing up the ball to Green. I have noticed a nice trend where Dalton is more willing to throw the ball away when overly rushed or when something he's looking for just isn't there and there isn't time to check down. I hope that continues.

I'd love it way more if AJ seemed interested in winning those one-on-one match ups. He gives up too often.

I'd love it way more if AJ seemed interested in winning those one-on-one match ups. He gives up too often.

They really need to start chucking it up to Eifert more.. I sure he'll fight for it, and most of the time win.

There's simply no denying that some of those INT's that the talking heads want to crucify Dalton for are a result of a less than stellar effort on the part of Green to either wrestle the ball away or knock it down.

There's simply no denying that some of those INT's that the talking heads want to crucify Dalton for are a result of a less than stellar effort on the part of Green to either wrestle the ball away or knock it down.

I watched the Baltimore game with my my dad and cousin and that's, literally all they wanted to talk about. My cousin is a Lions fan and was wondering how AJ and Mega can even be considered in the same sentence, biases aside, I tend to agree. Calvin works hard for his QB and it seems like sometimes AJ doesn't. Stafford still struggles at times. For all the Dalton is wasting AJ we got from "that" crowd it seems quite the opposite to me.

I watched the Baltimore game with my my dad and cousin and that's, literally all they wanted to talk about. My cousin is a Lions fan and was wondering how AJ and Mega can even be considered in the same sentence, biases aside, I tend to agree. Calvin works hard for his QB and it seems like sometimes AJ doesn't. Stafford still struggles at times. For all the Dalton is wasting AJ we got from "that" crowd it seems quite the opposite to me.

That being said, there's really no comparing the two. Megatron is leaps and bounds better than Green or anyone else. It's not even close in my mind. That catch he made against us in triple, blanketed coverage in the endzone was simply jaw-droppingly amazing. Still...fortunately for us, his team sucks.

And so does his quarterback. I agree it's really not even close between CJ and AJ. I get uneasy when Bengal folks consider the CJ contract as something AJ deserves. As divisive as it may be, I question whether AJ is worth a Top-4 WR contract if he continues to catch the easy ones and look uninterested in the rest.

And so does his quarterback. I agree it's really not even close between CJ and AJ. I get uneasy when Bengal folks consider the CJ contract as something AJ deserves. As divisive as it may be, I question whether AJ is worth a Top-4 WR contract if he continues to catch the easy ones and look uninterested in the rest.

I do think there's something to that "uninterested" comment, but when in comparison to CJ, there's just a sheer size and strength disadvantage that AJ will never be able to overcome. CJ is a football special mind trapped in Terrell Owen's body. He's just a freak. There's a picture out there with CJ and AJ standing aside one another and Green looks like a skinny kid in comparison. That said, I love AJ and hope he improves his focus. He's silky smooth and probably tops CJ in one area only, which is body adjustment. 

I do think there's something to that "uninterested" comment, but when in comparison to CJ, there's just a sheer size and strength disadvantage that AJ will never be able to overcome. CJ is a football special mind trapped in Terrell Owen's body. He's just a freak. There's a picture out there with CJ and AJ standing aside one another and Green looks like a skinny kid in comparison. That said, I love AJ and hope he improves his focus. He's silky smooth and probably tops CJ in one area only, which is body adjustment.

That picture that, I think, you are referring to is . . . freakish. The triple coverage play you talked about up-thread shows the kind of body control CJ has, and AJ has a Gumby quality that a monster like CJ probably can't match. But it's really close. I'm a Dalton guy and I'd rather have CJ, but that's an easy choice.

Archived