Chargers Week Notes Part Deux

I'm not going to get on AJs case too much yet.  In my opinion many of the times AJ looked like he "wasn't trying" is because he didn't believe the ball was coming his way until it was too late.  I guess someone closer to the game could say he is supposed to run every route 100% as if he's getting the ball, but it seems to me there are a lot of options and reads in this offense.  And AJs body language tells me he didn't think the ball was coming his way so he wasn't planted to jump up properly or body positioned to box out the corner or rounded up his route off a bit.  Everything we've ever read about the kid says he 100% committed to improving his craft and being a team player, so I have to believe he's just not seeing the same thing as Andy and Gruden most of these times.

Vontaze Burfict, who gets paid the league minimum of $480,000, would see a 37.5% increase in his salary with that $180,000.  He's going to need it. He's already been fined approximately $60,000 by the NFL this year.  Just one personal foul resulting in a $21,000 penalty costs more than 2/3rd of his weekly pay-check.  Against the Packers, where he was flagged for a personal foul and fined for the ball-sack tap, he actually lost $1000 playing for the Bengals that week because of his $31,000 fine.

Vontaze Burfict, who gets paid the league minimum of $480,000, would see a 37.5% increase in his salary with that $180,000.  He's going to need it. He's already been fined approximately $60,000 by the NFL this year.  Just one personal foul resulting in a $21,000 penalty costs more than 2/3rd of his weekly pay-check.  Against the Packers, where he was flagged for a personal foul and fined for the ball-sack tap, he actually lost $1000 playing for the Bengals that week because of his $31,000 fine.

I thought there was a rule about percentage of salary? It was mentioned when the Pitt scrub got fined $25k for the Huber hit...

This doesn't make your point any less relevant but Burfict did lead the league in incentive pay last year, with somewhere around an additional $300k earned. I doubt that pay comes into play for any fines anyway.

Long story short, he's an absolute steal who needs to clean up the extra curriculars a little.

Speaking of fines, and the one for the hit on Huber specifically...

Someone pointed out to me that he hasn't seen anything about the guy who hit Huber being fined from any actual NFL source.  I argued, and then looked for it on my own, and everything I can find in relation to that fine is sourced to Artrell Hawkins.

In fact, the official NFL fines release absolutely does NOT have any mention of any Steeler's getting fined for that hit.

Speaking of fines, and the one for the hit on Huber specifically...

Someone pointed out to me that he hasn't seen anything about the guy who hit Huber being fined from any actual NFL source.  I argued, and then looked for it on my own, and everything I can find in relation to that fine is sourced to Artrell Hawkins.

In fact, the official NFL fines release absolutely does NOT have any mention of any Steeler's getting fined for that hit.

NFL.com doesnt get any more official....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000300537/article/steelers-terence-garvin-fined-25k-for-kevin-huber-hit

If you look at the bottom, it says "information from Coley Harvey was used in this report".. This is what I am referring to.  Coley Harvey reported it but his source is Artrell Hawkins.  At any rate, I have seen some people copying others reprting on this, but I  haven't seen anything linked to an NFL source and the article from the NFL that week regarding fines does not list the fine for Garvin.

I was a skeptic as well, and pointed to these same kind of articles to my friend. .But he's right, I can't find anything official confirming the fine.

They really need to start chucking it up to Eifert more.. I sure he'll fight for it, and most of the time win.

Seriously. He needs to be involved downfield more. Just on the field more. Fuck. Throw the man the ball 10 times I guarantee at least 9 catches.

If you look at the bottom, it says "information from Coley Harvey was used in this report".. This is what I am referring to.  Coley Harvey reported it but his source is Artrell Hawkins.  At any rate, I have seen some people copying others reprting on this, but I  haven't seen anything linked to an NFL source and the article from the NFL that week regarding fines does not list the fine for Garvin.

I was a skeptic as well, and pointed to these same kind of articles to my friend. .But he's right, I can't find anything official confirming the fine.

Nah, some dude from the NFL was on tv explaining why it was illegal. They confirmed from a "league source" which they said wasn't Hawkins that he was fined and that he would appeal.

Nah, some dude from the NFL was on tv explaining why it was illegal. They confirmed from a "league source" which they said wasn't Hawkins that he was fined and that he would appeal.

Can you find something confirming this? I have tried...

Here is the article On NFL.com from that week regarding fines.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000301233/article/eagles-qb-nick-foles-docked-10k-by-nfl-for-illegal-block

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport has reported a handful of fines that have been handed down by the league from Week 15.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles leads off this week's roundup. Foles was hit with a $10,000 fine for an illegal peel-back block during the Eagles' loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus was fined $7,875 for punching (unnecessary roughness)

Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt during the Indianapolis Colts' win over Houston last Sunday.

Tennessee Titans defensive end Kamerion Wimbley was docked $10,000 for striking Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer in the knee area.

Linebacker Marcus Benard of the Cardinals was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer against the Titans.

In other news, Detroit Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy was not fined for his low hit on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco in the loss to Baltimore Monday night.

No Steelers....

Seriously. You don't think that the NFL making a point of coming out after the fact and saying that it was an illegal hit tells you that he got fined? C'mon bro. No conspiracy here.

First of all.. I am not claiming conspiracy.  Can you then show me how much he was fined?  Can you link to anything that confirms he was fined which claims the NFL as the source?

Don't come at me with lame shit.. Facts or get out.

I would assume that was because it was already reported earlier in the week. That article was for discussing previously unreported fines.

What makes you think that?

Totally off topic, but not thread worthy.

I watched a trailer for a movie called "million dollar arm" and Rey Maualuga is in a couple pieces of the trailer. It kind of looks like Jerry Maguire.

Not going to run out and see the movie but just thought it was funny i hadn't heard anything about him being in a major motion picture.

i must say i watched the last bengals came vs ravens and dalton is not giving enough ball to GIO! He was all alone free so many times middle and sidelines he would have gained easy yards. Gio was so open at middle so many times but Dalton still forced ball to AJ green, I think gio is so small he dosent see him backfield. He must see the tape and open his eyes.

ALso glad to see Hunt get some snaps out there. Gl at playoffs.

i must say i watched the last bengals came vs ravens and dalton is not giving enough ball to GIO! He was all alone free so many times middle and sidelines he would have gained easy yards. Gio was so open at middle so many times but Dalton still forced ball to AJ green, I think gio is so small he dosent see him backfield. He must see the tape and open his eyes.

ALso glad to see Hunt get some snaps out there. Gl at playoffs.

Welcome. I couldn't agree more on both!

What type of official source are you looking for Lucid? NFL.com reported the fine, I posted that, is that not what your looking for?

Can you link it now?

Keep in mind I PERSONALLY BELIEVE HE WAS FINED.  I was just issued a challenge by a friend to provide proof and I haven't been able to... At the very least I would like to know what the final tally is, since there seemed to be reason to believe the first number was inflated.

Steelers' Terence Garvin fined $25K for Kevin Huber hit

• 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Dec. 18, 2013 at 04:29 p.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 19, 2013 at 04:22 a.m.

email-card-title.png Friend(s) EmailYour EmailSend Email

Cincinnati Bengals punter Kevin Huber has lost the opportunity to play again this season as a direct result of the vicious block by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Terence Garvin in Sunday night's game.

Garvin has lost a hefty portion of his paycheck for the effort.

A league source told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that Garvin has been fined $25,000 for the hit that broke Huber's jaw and might have left him with a cracked vertebrae. A second source close to Garvin confirmed that the linebacker will appeal.

Artrell Hawkins of WLWT-TV in Cincinnati first reported the fine.

Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating, explained the illegality of the hit on Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."

As we understand the rules, Garvin was free to hit Huber as hard as physically possible -- just not with the crown of his helmet above the punter's neckline.

Huber spoke Wednesday, accepting responsibility for punting down the middle of the field to a dangerous returner in Antonio Brown. The Bengals punter realizes big hits are "a part of the game" and is not expecting an apology from Garvin.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" broke down the Cowboys' loss and every other Week 15 game.

Archived