Initial 2014 Draft

well that's kind of the rub. Its highly doubtful the Bengals will pay BJGE $2.7M to be a short yardage back.  Gio's the guy now.  BJGE for all intents and purposes is a backup now.

Also, I don't know that you can expect Peerman to ever do much.

So you're looking at 1 new RB, if not 2.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they dont keep BJGE this year, not like the team to cut a guy before his contract is up for simply money reasons, not unheard of, but I'd be surprised. I think he stays this year and isnt renewed come contract time.

I am all for them cutting him because he is just not good enough at this point. They can do better, and save money by upgrading to spend elsewhere. That's what i hope they do.

i'd have to agree. if they're truly going to put an emphasis on improving the running game, they can't stand pat with a guy who consistently leaves so many yards out there on the field. that's just too big of a piece to fixing that puzzle. the guy looks like he's running in cement.

I haven't watched those two guys yet, but add Damien Williams from Oklahoma to your list.

Actually reminds me of a poor-man's McFadden.

That's funny because it was Charles Sims that made me think the exact same thing. Poor Man's Darren McFadden.  I haven't watched anyone since DMC who's running style and versatility reminds me so much of him. Both Sims and Wilder are tall and lanky with speed, power, and agility. I think both could easily add weight (they are already in the 6-0+ 210-220 range.

Here's a primer for the 2014 Draft;

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/all

Gives you a better idea what these kid's numbers are and where they stand in comparison to others of their position.  Will also have news info for each of the prospects that can only be rehashed so much unless of course we have a drug bust, dui, assault, etc...  then the news changes drastically to point out how so an so knew they were trouble all along...  In not so many words, draft analysis is kind of like a sports junkies reality show, its an addiction that provides the " FIX " during off season...

DON'T DO IT!!! It's truly addicting, even more than regular football for some.  I'm hoping to spend this draft season completely cut off, just to tune in for the draft itself.   From my lips to god's ears...

Not quite sure why we're so obsessed with a back. Gio as the main back, BJGE for the goal-line or 3rd and 1 plays, running game sorted. We've got Burkhead if we want another speedy back and Peerman if we want another bruiser.

We have zero need to draft a RB, beyond salary cap considerations.

What? We have major need for a RB. Hue will need a 3rd RB in our system to run his offense. He needs a guy who is inbetween BJGE and Gio's abilities. A guy like Hyde would be a dream but I doubt it happens cuz he's going first round and we won't take a RB in the first.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they dont keep BJGE this year, not like the team to cut a guy before his contract is up for simply money reasons, not unheard of, but I'd be surprised. I think he stays this year and isnt renewed come contract time.

I'm all for this. Not to mention he looked great in the playoff game. He's built for late year football and he means a lot to this team as a leader.

I am all for them cutting him because he is just not good enough at this point. They can do better, and save money by upgrading to spend elsewhere. That's what i hope they do.

i'd have to agree. if they're truly going to put an emphasis on improving the running game, they can's stand pat with a guy who consistently leaves so many yards out there on the field. that's just too big of a piece to fixing that puzzle. the guy looks like he's running in cement.

The ONE reason I could see us moving on is that having a new Coordinator with a new emphasis gives the team (MB) some motivation that he doesn't often exercise to cut some fat to add in other areas. Personally. I'm hoping the team takes a long look at making some hard choices across the board, to free up some cash and refresh with better talent in key areas.

Cook

Peko

Rey M

BJGE

Geathers

Harrrison

Those guys combine for almost $13MM.  That's enough to pay for Cook, Alex Mack, and a reasonable salary (6M?) for MJ (and I'd not be terribly sorry to replace him if he's too expensive, as I see an argument that he's worth even less than that).

LOL at Hyde as a first round RB.  He'd have to run a sub 4.5, and I don't see that happening.  Just think about the devaluation of RB's in the draft, and where they've gone lately.  Top Middle of the second is his value ceiling, and even that is a stretch.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's the 4th or 5th guy off the board.  Not because I don't like him (I do and think he'd be a great fit here), but given the realities of today's NFL he's just not going in the first.

I'm all for this. Not to mention he looked great in the playoff game. He's built for late year football and he means a lot to this team as a leader.

Oh dont twist it, I want to upgrade from him as he is a very average runner, but I'd be surprised if they cut him, not like the Bengals.

yeah, LOL indeed.

History disagrees with you:

Knowshown Moreno

Donald Brown

Beanie Wells

CJ Spiller

Ryan Matthews

Jahvid Best

Mark Ingrham

Trent Richardson

Doug Martin

David Wilson

None

That's a lot of guys that simply didn't work out very well in the first round.  Doug Martin is the only one, and he was the 31st pick (Wlison went at #32).  Teams are learning that value is simply not there for RBs in the first round, especially when they can be found in the 2nd (Forte, McCoy, and just last year for example, Gio, Bell, Ball, Lacy, and Christine Michael).  The NFL is learning, and you're seeing them take guys later and later - and find great value there. 

It's nothing against your boy, it's just the reality of the new paradigm.

he's a bigger, faster version of Marshawn Lynch that doesn't have to come off the field on 3rd downs.....I agree with your devaluation of the position assessment, but it's still not keeping teams from spending first rd picks on guys.....bottomline: he's the most complete back in this draft and teams are always gonna value that. 

http://youtu.be/qrImF-MBEj4

Carlos Hyde is the RB defensive backs do not want to tackle in the 4th qtr.

We currently do not have a RB of his stature on the team.

People will say he does not have top end speed.

I see a RB who never goes down on 1st contact, nice lateral movement, and deceiving quickness for a man his size.

Would love to see him in stripes this year.

I see a RB who never goes down on 1st contact, nice lateral movement, and deceiving quickness for a man his size.

Currently listed at 27th best graded player (excluding undeclared under classmen) and #1 at the position in this class.

Just one sites opinion

I don't see us going RB this early if at all in the draft

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

ESPN is typically the LEAST trustworthy source for grading players.  They are victim to hype more than anyone.  Still, overall player ratings also have little to do with draft position, as positional value is much more influential - particularly in the first round. 

As far as we are concerned, I couldn't agree more. I don't see RB as a remote possibility in 1.  That we be flatly stupid.  Maybe if they absolutely fell in love with a guy in 2, and from 3 on I could see the argument, particularly based on Hue's desired approach.

and people are seriously underestimating his speed.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again.....Hyde is the best pro prospect to come out of Columbus at that position since Keith Byars....I get that George and Wells had the hardware and the better career numbers, but as a prospect, Hyde grades out higher than both......and both were first rd picks btw.  

Thanks for posting the vid. 

What I think is most notable about his is his ability to read and set up blocks.  Sort of the anti-BJGE.

However, that video might better be titled" "The OSU Offensive Line Highlight Reel."

Just unreal blocking in that video, and if I came away with anything it's how badly we need to focus on THAT area with our early picks and FA work.  Hyde owes the first 5 yards in his YPC average to those beasts.

and people are seriously underestimating his speed.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again.....Hyde is the best pro prospect to come out of Columbus at that position since Keith Byars....I get that George and Wells had the hardware and the better career numbers, but as a prospect, Hyde grades out higher than both......and both were first rd picks btw.  

Yeah, definitely better than both George and Wells.  And he has some speed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the 4.5s. 

There's a metric floating out there somewhere about backs with speed and power based on weight, and the overwhelming takeaway was their durability.  I think Darren McFadden was very high on the list, as was Wells.  Knile Davis was off the charts.  All of those guys have a major history of injuries.  Hyde seems to have the durability they lack, though some of the guys on that list withstood the physicality of college only to break down in the pros.  Beanie, however, was always dinged at OSU, so Hyde compares more favorably there.

LOL at Hyde as a first round RB.  He'd have to run a sub 4.5, and I don't see that happening.  Just think about the devaluation of RB's in the draft, and where they've gone lately.  Top Middle of the second is his value ceiling, and even that is a stretch.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's the 4th or 5th guy off the board.  Not because I don't like him (I do and think he'd be a great fit here), but given the realities of today's NFL he's just not going in the first.

He will go somewhere from late first to early 2nd no doubt. He is the real deal. I hate OSU with a passion, but Hyde will be a big time RB in the NFL. I never root for Buckeyes and i'm always bashing them but Hyde is going to be the real deal and I'd kill for Shazier to be our LB drafted to play next to Burfict.

Yeah, definitely better than both George and Wells.  And he has some speed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the 4.5s. 

There's a metric floating out there somewhere about backs with speed and power based on weight, and the overwhelming takeaway was their durability.  I think Darren McFadden was very high on the list, as was Wells.  Knile Davis was off the charts.  All of those guys have a major history of injuries.  Hyde seems to have the durability they lack, though some of the guys on that list withstood the physicality of college only to break down in the pros.  Beanie, however, was always dinged at OSU, so Hyde compares more favorably there.

I haven't watched much ND but George Atkinson is that type of big, burner it seems. He's not rated highly by any of the draft sites but if it's true that he runs low 4.4 at 6'1 220 he's a guy that's on my radar.

I haven't watched much ND but George Atkinson is that type of big, burner it seems. He's not rated highly by any of the draft sites but if it's true that he runs low 4.4 at 6'1 220 he's a guy that's on my radar.

As a huge Notre Dame fan let me be the first to tell you Atkinson is terrible. He runs high and is soft. He goes down on first contact. There was a reason why the Irish played two freshman at the end of year instead of him. He would be okay at kickoff returns because of his elite speed but he doesn't have much wiggle. Kinda like Tate.

Archived