Ranking the NFL Coaches

Putting this on the Bengals board specifically because of how it ranks and the comments about Marvin Lewis.  He is ranked 12th out of the 25 ranked coaches (new hires omitted) which is...

Full article http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-39-best-coaches-044600815--nfl.html

Abbreviated and edited version ...

1. Bill Belichick

Career Record: 199-105 (.655)

With The Patriots Since: 2000

2. Pete Carroll  

Career Record: 71-57 (.555)

With The Seahawks Since: 2010

3. Jim Harbaugh

Career Record: 36-11-1 (.766)

With The 49ers Since: 2011

4. Sean Payton

Career Record: 73-39 (.652)

With The Saints Since: 2006  

5. John Harbaugh

Career Record: 62-34 (.646)

With The Ravens Since: 2008  

6. Chip Kelly

Career Record: 10-6 (.625)

With The Eagles Since: 2013

7. Andy Reid

Career Record: 141-98-1 (.590)

With The Chiefs Since: 2013

8. Bruce Arians

Career Record: 10-6 (.625)

With The Cardinals Since: 2013

9. Tom Coughlin

Career Record: 158-130 (.549)

With The Giants Since: 2004

10. Mike McCarthy

Career Record: 82-45-1 (.646)

With The Packers Since: 2006  

11. Rex Ryan

Career Record: 42-38 (.525)

With The Jets Since: 2009

12. Marvin Lewis

Career Record: 90-85-1 (.514)

With The Bengals Since: 2003

At this point, Lewis is more Mack Brown-style CEO than head football coach. Both his offense and defense were autonomous units under now departed coordinators Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer, respectively. Lewis paints in broad strokes for an owner in Mike Brown who obviously has complete faith in his coach of 11 years. Many would point to Lewis’ 0-5 record in the playoffs and say Brown’s faith is misplaced, but even consistency of Lewis’ somewhat mediocre nature is hard to find in the NFL. That’s especially true for a franchise that’s not exactly known for opening its wallet. You could say Lewis should have won more in recent years and be right. You could also say the fact that he’s gone from nine to 10 to 11 wins with a stagnant Andy Dalton under center is more than his teams should have accomplished. At this point, Lewis is just a steady hand, and nothing more. Lest you think that’s an insult, ask the Browns or Raiders how easy it is to find a steady hand.       

13. Marc Trestman

Career Record: 8-8 (.500)

With The Bears Since: 2013

14. Jeff Fisher

Career Record: 156-137-1 (.532)

With The Rams Since: 2012

15. Mike McCoy

Career Record: 9-7 (.563)

With The Chargers Since: 2013

16. Mike Tomlin

Career Record: 71-41 (.634)

With The Steelers Since: 2007

17. Ron Rivera

Career Record: 25-23 (.521)

With The Panthers Since: 2011  

18. Gus Bradley

Career Record: 4-12 (.250)

With The Jaguars Since: 2013  

19. Mike Smith

Career Record: 96-60 (.625)

With The Falcons Since: 2008

20. John Fox

Career Record: 107-85 (.557)

With The Broncos Since: 2011

21. Chuck Pagano

Career Record: 22-10 (.688)

With The Colts Since: 2012  

22. Doug Marrone

Career Record: 6-10 (.375)

With The Bills Since: 2013

23. Dennis Allen

Career Record: 8-24 (.250)

With The Raiders Since: 2012

24. Jason Garrett

Career Record: 29-27 (.518)

With The Cowboys Since: 2010  

25. Joe Philbin

Career Record: 15-17 (.469)

With The Dolphins Since: 2012  

New Hires  

1. Lovie Smith, Buccaneers 

Career Record: 81-63 (.563)

2. Mike Zimmer, Vikings 

Career Record: ---

3. Ken Whisenhunt, Titans 

Career Record: 45-51 (.469)

4. Bill O’Brien, Texans 

5. Mike Pettine, Browns 

6. Jay Gruden, Redskins

7. Jim Caldwell, Lions 

Career Record: 26-22 (.542)

It will be interesting to see who has a better resume at the end of next season...

Lewis, Gruden, or Zimmer.

Lewis has so much more to work with as far as players than Gruden and Zimmer that he certainly should do better.

Those guys are basically starting from scratch.

Lewis has so much more to work with as far as players than Gruden and Zimmer that he certainly should do better.

Those guys are basically starting from scratch.

You think Gruden's retaining of Haslett would be considered starting from scratch ?  Haslett is a pretty good coach and Gruden has worked with him on occasion in the past.

The Redskins are in cap hell.

If Minnesota can improve their defense (they were TERRIBLE) their team will improve significantly.    No, not predicting a playoff spot but certainly way better than last year.

So Jon Fox, who has an AFC Championship, NFC Championship and has 3 Championship appearances in 12 years of being a head coach with a lifetime winning average of .557 is 8 spots LOWER than Marvin with who has never won a playoff game in 11 years and has a lifetime winning percentage of .514.   That makes perfect sense.

You think Gruden's retaining of Haslett would be considered starting from scratch ?  Haslett is a pretty good coach and Gruden has worked with him on occasion in the past.

What position on the field does Haslett play?

My thinking is the Bengals are pretty much superior across the board player for player

generally speaking (except perhaps quarterback if Gruden can get RGIII playing right)

plus they have some degree of continuity with the replacements for Zimmer and Gruden.

What about Tomlin being ranked lower than Marvin? He's been to the Superbowl twice in 7 years with a win. 

The only thing that can explain their rankings it is that Marvin has to work with the worst ownership in history yet he is having some success.

That is NOT my feeling, just trying to figure out how they came up with these rankings.

What position on the field does Haslett play?

My thinking is the Bengals are pretty much superior across the board player for player

generally speaking (except perhaps quarterback if Gruden can get RGIII playing right)

plus they have some degree of continuity with the replacements for Zimmer and Gruden.

I am in the camp that believes a coach holds more value than a player.  As such, Zimmer will coach his players up to his level and Gruden will as well.  For good or bad, a player can only be as good as his coach is.  All of this of course is IMHO.  In other words, I would take superior coaches over superior players every day of the week.  Putting a superior game plan on the field will only work if you have put forth players that can learn the game plan and implement the plan.  This would not work with players incapable of learning the system no matter how good they are at their position.

The question to you is; Are the Bengals capable of putting a good game plan on the field ?

IMO Lewis will have the best resume or record for next year than the 2 old coordinators. 

I'd like to make a friendly wager with you right now.  By the end of next upcoming season, Gruden OR Zimmer will have more wins next season than Lewis.  You wear a Browns avatar for one week.  Your choice on mine.

I'd like to make a friendly wager with you right now.  By the end of next upcoming season, Gruden OR Zimmer will have more wins next season than Lewis.  You wear a Browns avatar for one week.  Your choice on mine.

Why teh fucking Browns  :20:

But yes. And if you lose you wear this

Nazi-Israel.jpg

I am in the camp that believes a coach holds more value than a player.  As such, Zimmer will coach his players up to his level and Gruden will as well.  For good or bad, a player can only be as good as his coach is.  All of this of course is IMHO.  In other words, I would take superior coaches over superior players every day of the week.  Putting a superior game plan on the field will only work if you have put forth players that can learn the game plan and implement the plan.  This would not work with players incapable of learning the system no matter how good they are at their position.

The question to you is; Are the Bengals capable of putting a good game plan on the field ?

Not being evasive but I simply do not know at this stage of the game.

The best game plans can be negated completely by too many things including

blown calls and injury.  Of course such things as the obvious player performance,

moronic penalties, and the list goes on.

Not because I have any great faith in Marvin.  I racked up dozens of negative reps for

questioning him on here for years before he finally fell into disfavor more recently.

I am also not buying the "easy schedule" spin looking at playing teams who went a lot

farther in the playoffs than we did.

Just the team is a lot more familiar with Marvin and the new assistants that the Vikings and

Redskins are with their new regimes.  Asking a lot to say Zim and/or Gruden will end up with

better records than the Bengals but then again I wholeheartedly believe Marv could fuck up

a one man parade in a phone booth.

Arians was NFL coach of the year in Indy in 2012 then make Arizona competitive with Seattle and San Francisco. They were the only visiting team to win at Seattle.

Kelly took over one of the least talented teams in the league and completely reorganized them, getting pro bowl play from former backup Nick Foles while leading the league in rushing. Compared with Reid's meltdown in 2012 Kelly was a breath of fresh air.

Why would you pick something he'll happily wear? Should have picked the Steelers.

Arians was NFL coach of the year in Indy in 2012 then make Arizona competitive with Seattle and San Francisco. They were the only visiting team to win at Seattle.

Kelly took over one of the least talented teams in the league and completely reorganized them, getting pro bowl play from former backup Nick Foles while leading the league in rushing. Compared with Reid's meltdown in 2012 Kelly was a breath of fresh air.

I wouldn't call Philly a non talented team, they were just a train wreck.  They had one of the best set of skill guys in the league with Mccoy, maclin, jackson, and celek.  Avant and Cooper were nice complements to that group. They actually have one of the deepest RB units in the league, and they have a number of high round picks in their front 7 on defense.

Outta curiosity, which Browns logo you want me to sport?

:lol:

Since I did say Browns before I posted I guess I can't use this...

I-Love-Israel.png

I guess I'll have to go with this...

original.jpg

Since Art Modell was born to a Jewish family, I guess its about as close as I can come to matching the I Love Israel picture above.  Kinda of kills three birds with one stone...  Browns, Ravens, and Israel...

Not being evasive but I simply do not know at this stage of the game.

The best game plans can be negated completely by too many things including

blown calls and injury.  Of course such things as the obvious player performance,

moronic penalties, and the list goes on.

Not because I have any great faith in Marvin.  I racked up dozens of negative reps for

questioning him on here for years before he finally fell into disfavor more recently.

I am also not buying the "easy schedule" spin looking at playing teams who went a lot

farther in the playoffs than we did.

Just the team is a lot more familiar with Marvin and the new assistants that the Vikings and

Redskins are with their new regimes.  Asking a lot to say Zim and/or Gruden will end up with

better records than the Bengals but then again I wholeheartedly believe Marv could fuck up

a one man parade in a phone booth.

Looks like you gained a few more negative reps on that one.  I gave you a positive one to even things out a bit.

1.  A good game plan takes into account such things as injury.

2.  IF a player is the reflection of coaching then player performance, moronic penalties, etc... are coachable attributes.

3.  I don't buy the easy schedule either.

4.  Familiarity breeds contempt.  Remember we went to the playoffs in the first year with Dalton and Gruden.

5.  I don't know about a phone booth but I have seen a one man parade...

DSC05143.JPG

Archived