Paul Guenther discusses the defense

New defensive coordinator Paul Guenther took a break from the Combine in Indianapolis to sit down with local reporters Sunday morning and shared a multitude of thoughts on the state of the defense, personnel needs, what he’s looking for in the draft, rehabbing stars, the outlook of Michael Johnson and how much he likes to make fun of NFL Combine Analyst Mike Mayock.

Here’s a few of the highlights of his most interesting comments:

On new linebackers coach Matt Burke taking over Guenther’s old role: 

“When he came in the interview I had a vision in mind of the type of guy that would fit in that room. Just because they are a little different off personality wise. The kind of coach they need to have in there is someone who will challenge the mentally. Stay on them. At the same time he is not one of these guys that is old-school yell and scream just to yell and scream all the time. That is not what these guys need. These guys need to be challenged all the time. Matt is a smart guy. He is going to take those guys to the next level.”

On how much the defense will change under him: 

“Our defense isn’t going to change. Our players know it. I know it. I’ll put a couple new wrinkles in where I think we were a little vanilla in some areas. I will change a little bit of things, along the way when Zim first got here I was taking notes the whole time when I’d say when I get an opportunity I’d like the way we do this, I like the way we do this, but this area right here I think we can fix and get it better. So, over those five years I have three notebooks full of stuff. Sometimes I have to write it down or won’t go back to it for another year or when I get an opportunity to do this. For the most part, we are not going to change all that much.”

On the idea he’ll blitz more than Zimmer:

“I like to pressure but everybody thinks it’s third down we are going to blitz, I am thinking more along the lines of first and second down. Being a little bit more multiple with our fronts. We usually play one front most of the time. When you play teams that are good running teams you have to mix it up a little bit against those teams. Sometimes the match ups aren’t always going to be your way but you have to make sure you get the match ups the way you want it. It’s not so much blitzing, my point is. Blitzing is not the whole key to it. Yeah, there are going to be times I’m going to like to blitz, but there’s also different ways. There’s run blitzes and you change the run fronts up. I think that would be one of the things I’ll implement.”

On the sense he gets in his conversations with Michael Johnson:

“Yeah, I don’t know. I think he wants to be here. I think he likes it here. I think he likes the players. I think he likes the team, but every guy may get an opportunity to test the market sometime, it’s human to want to see what is out there, I guess. I don’t know what is going to happen. I couldn’t tell you.”

On the evolution of Mike Johnson and what the team would lose if he left: 

“Mike came up, was raised here. From what he was when he first got here to what he is today, it’s like night and day. He’s a country kid when he first got here. I remember teaching him some drop linebacker and rush and everything with him. He’s been tremendous. Just the person he is now, he’s one of the leaders of our team on the defensive side. He’s a lunch pail guy. He’d be a big loss, there’s not question. Guys will have to step up if he’s not going to be here.”

On the progress of Margus Hunt and importance of this offseason for him: 

“The biggest jump is between the first and second year. One of my plans with him is to just maybe spend some individual time with Margus in the spring and get him up to speed with some different things. The first year, because he’s still new to the game in general, you know you’re in the NFL and you know the speed of the game and you know you’re against good tackles week in and week out, I think he knows what to expect a little bit better now. Hopefully he’ll make that jump this year. We’re going to need him to.”

On expectations for LB Emmanuel Lamur, who missed all of last season with a shoulder injury: 

“He’ll be a big return coming back. He’s a great match-up for us underneath. He’s like a big safety in there. He can run, he’s long in zones, he can tackle and take on blocks. For sure when we lost him last year, when we played against two tight end teams that had one guy that was deployed, he’s a good guy to have for that. I’ll use him in a lot of ways.”

On the possibility of more time for Vinny Rey in a position battle, assuming he returns next year (restricted free agent): 

“Potentially. My thing is, and I’m going to put a sign up and it’s going to be “How can you help us win?” It could be 10 snaps a game. It could be five snaps a game. It could be 65 snaps a game. I’m going to try to utilize the abilities because a lot of them are different. I’ll try to use those abilities as much as possible. Like I said, it might be five snaps that I use a guy on third down playing in a certain package, or it could be 20 snaps or 65. It doesn’t matter. I’m trying to get as much as I can out of the talent that we have.”

On if Rey Maualuga had his best year last year: 

“Yeah. I thought he played real damn good. He’s a real physical force in there in the run game. He makes all of the checks and all of the calls at the line of scrimmage, so I think he played a lot better last year. His big thing is he’s got to keep his weight under a certain mark. That’s when he plays his best. That’s been tried and true. Sub 250 for him.”

On his view of the rehabs for Leon Hall and Geno Atkins: 

“They’re in the building every day. Typically I’ll go down in the mornings to visit the guys just because it’s quiet down there. It’s just them. I’m sure the rehab isn’t the funnest end for those guys but from what I understand, talking to trainers, they’re coming along pretty good. They’re doing everything they’re asking them to do, so I don’t see any setbacks, at least to this point, with either guy. I expect both of them to be back (in training camp).”

On if they choose a quality cornerback if he’s available in Round 1: 

“If there’s like an edge rusher, who do we rank higher? Who is the best player? A good safety sitting there? It used to be in the past, ‘We’ve got to get this position. One way or another. We have to fill this role.’ We don’t have that hole right now on defense.”

On giving Mike Mayock a hard time regarding his analysis/importance of the combine: 

“I had dinner with him last night. They put in on TV and I understand that. But some of the comments. ‘A bad toe turn there.’ Come on, seriously. These quarterbacks that throw, they’re throwing to guys they never throw to. And they’re like, ‘See, that was a bad throw. It wasn’t quite over the outside shoulder.’ But they threw the ball over 500 times in college in a real game. That’s just my opinion. The combine is more so you get to know the person. There are a couple of things you want to see in the drills by position, but other than that, really, it’s over-hyped.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2014/02/23/paul-guenther-discusses-the-defense/

INDIANAPOLIS _ Paul Guenther, who has been to nine of these things as an assistant or position coach, is taking in his first NFL Scouting Combine as the Bengals defensive coordinator and he says it's really no different because he always checked out the other positions.

"The only difference,' he said Sunday, "is I sit in all the interviews and that's about it."

And here's something else that hasn't changed. Guenther is close friends with NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, the guy that has become the face of the combine thanks to the wall-to-wall coverage, and he gets on him all the time about how the combine is "over-hyped." Guenther is a tape guy.

"I had dinner with him last night," Guenther said of Mayock. "They put in on TV and I understand that. But some of the comments. 'A bad toe turn there.' Come on, seriously. These quarterbacks that throw, they're throwing to guys they never throw to. And they're like, 'See, that was a bad throw. It wasn't quite over the outside shoulder.' But they threw the ball over 500 times in college in a real game. That’s just my opinion. The combine is more so you get to know the person. There are a couple of things you want to see in the drills by position, but other than that, really, it's over-hyped."

Some other quick hits from Guenther's conversation with the local media:

_He plans on keeping the same techniques and system passed on from Mike Zimmer, but he says he plans to have more multiple fronts in an effort to get better matchups. The plan is to move players into more favorable spots on the defensive line while keeping the same personnel group. And on any down, not just third down.

_Guenther says it's not like 2006, 2007, or 2012, when the Bengals desperately needed a cornerback and selected Johnathan Joseph, Leon Hall, and Dre Kirkpatrick, respectively, in the first round. With Hall's second torn Achilles in three years and the age of Terence Newman and Adam Jones (turning 36 and 31, respectively this September); a corner would be nice but not necessary at No. 24.

"If there's like an edge rusher, who do we rank higher? Who is the best player? A good safety sitting there?" Guenther asked. "It used to be in the past, 'We've got to get this position. One way or another. We have to fill this role.' We don’t have that hole right now on defense."

_Let's talk about Missouri linebacker Michael Sam as a player. Guenther did and said given the Bengals play a 4-3 defense and their deepest position on defense is linebacker, it doesn't look like a fit. Guenther compared him to the Bengals' third-round pick in 2011. Nevada end Dontay Moch was the star of the combine with an astounding athletic performance, but he struggled with the process of switching from pass-rushing end to SAM backer and that's the challenge Sam faces.

Moch, now with Arizona, has played five games in three seasons and only one was with the Bengals.

"Marvin (Lewis) and I go around and around about this. I always tell him it takes one year to get (acclimated). For a guy who never dropped, he always rushed. He has to learn.  I've done it," Guenther. "Marvin coached linebackers in the 3-4 where you tell them to just go to the flat and sit there. In our system you've got tight ends, you've got backs, you've got progressions, and the spacing and up front fits. And how you take on the fullback. That's tough for guy who's never done it. To do those things and then move back five yards and stand, it's different. To me, a year if you're lucky."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Guenther-detests-combine-hype-as-he-tweaks-Mayock-defense-/389e023e-af68-4729-a1ec-94b432240c71?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

@pauldehnerjr: DC Paul Guenther was great chatting with us today, after conversation here's my five biggest takeaways.

@pauldehnerjr: Takeaway 1: They think Dre Kirkpatrick can be a starting corner for the #Bengals, but he’s not there yet.

@pauldehnerjr: Takeaway 2: Don’t go thinking just bc #Bengals have older corners, that’s slam dunk in 1st round. Open on position more than most realize.

@pauldehnerjr: Takeaway 3: This will be a huge year/camp for DT Devon Still. Has some catching up to do compared to Brandon Thompson.

@pauldehnerjr: Takeaway 4: Guenther doesn’t necessarily want to blitz more, but interested in more multiple fronts. Wants to D-Line to move around more.

@pauldehnerjr: Takeaway 5: From what he's hearing, barring setback, both Leon Hall and Geno Atkins should participate in training camp.

I understand all interviews are generally taken from The Thumper the Rabbit Philosophy of Life... "if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all" but really like what he says about Margus Hunt.  I do look for him to be a force as good or better than Michael Johnson (who seemed to take too many inside rushes last season) and make the need for another DL a bit less.  I'm a big Margus fan.

Like what I'm hearing, for whatever that's worth. At the same time, when you consider how consistently highly-ranked Zim's defense has been, it doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement.. and a whole lot of room going the other way.

I loved Zim almost as much as the next guy, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement. For example, how about ramping up the pass pressure when facing journeyman or rookie QB's. Zimmer never corrected that longstanding flaw, or even acknowledged it was a flaw, despite having years to do so. And Guenther's plan to run blitz on 1st and 2nd down might allow the Bengals down lineman to be more aggressive and less focused on edge or gap control. And while I've been impressed with the performances Zimmer has gotten out of several undrafted or castoff players it's fair to say that most of those players were added due to Marvin Lewis's connections, a talent pipeline that shouldn't go dry just because Zimmer departed.

Nice interview. I've been making a similar point about CB as I feel like it is an obvious need in terms of depth, but not really a 1st round need with all the guys we have right now.

Despite 90% of the mocks (even go-bengals mocks) giving us a CB, I think OT or DE/SLB are much more likely. I'm betting/hoping we are eventually going to start seeing mocks that give us someone other than Dennard, Verrett, Gilbert, Roby, etc.

We def need a SLB of the future since Harrison is gone after this year. Is that where Porter could slide to? I assume Lamur would play 3rd down with Taze so maybe it's not a huge need but I don't see a backup/replacement on the roster if Harrison gets hurt, unless I'm totally missing someone....

We def need a SLB of the future since Harrison is gone after this year. Is that where Porter could slide to? I assume Lamur would play 3rd down with Taze so maybe it's not a huge need but I don't see a backup/replacement on the roster if Harrison gets hurt, unless I'm totally missing someone....

I've read hints of Lamur sliding in, and I imagine V Rey is an option as well.  Porter, as you suggest, is a guy who was considered able to play all 3 spots when he came out.

In another year or so DiManche may also be ready.

What I read from Hobson a few days ago they think Lamur could play SLB after JH.

Like what I'm hearing, for whatever that's worth. At the same time, when you consider how consistently highly-ranked Zim's defense has been, it doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement.. and a whole lot of room going the other way.

This is my biggest question mark for this team, being that the defense has basically been the most dominate unit and the reason for this team's success over the past 3 years I think that now that Zimmer is gone this team will truly only go as far as the Andy Dalton lead Bengals can take them. I don't think it's fair to expect Guenther to have this defense at the same level that Zimmer's defense were on.

Zimmer had years to prefect his craft as a D-Coord, to expect a first year guy to have a top 10 defense is huge expectation and ultimately not fair. 

This is my biggest question mark for this team, being that the defense has basically been the most dominate unit and the reason for this team's success over the past 3 years I think that now that Zimmer is gone this team will truly only go as far as the Andy Dalton lead Bengals can take them. I don't think it's fair to expect Guenther to have this defense at the same level that Zimmer's defense were on.

Zimmer had years to prefect his craft as a D-Coord, to expect a first year guy to have a top 10 defense is huge expectation and ultimately not fair. 

There's room for improvement in this defense.  We were stingy with yards, not very good at turnovers overall. 

He should also have a full healthy year of Atkins and Hall (hopefully). Not to mention Lamur. If our D falls out of the top 10 something very bad has happened...unless the offense is a huge positive surprise and we are playing a lot of prevent at the end of games.

He should also have a full healthy year of Atkins and Hall (hopefully). Not to mention Lamur. If our D falls out of the top 10 something very bad has happened...unless the offense is a huge positive surprise and we are playing a lot of prevent at the end of games.

Yep.

You act like he hasn't been there for the last 8 years.  He's been in Zimmer's back pocket, and when there was doubt before he was signed, every tweet you heard from players was about "keeping Pauly".  The D will not drop off, it's just not gonna happen!

Oh you poor widdle thing.

How did you miss my smiley?

Sheesh, I even picked the one that's laughing so hard that he's shedding tears and pounding his fist.

:lmao:

I'm starting to think Mem was on to something. 

Far too many posters on this board seem to be able to communicate only as half ninjas.

My thing is something bad always happens, this year it was Atkins and Hall getting injured..who knows what it will be next year. Just because these guys have had success in the past doesn't mean they will have it going forward. It's no guarantee that Guenther will be able to fill Zimmer's shoes without any drop off.

You act like he hasn't been there for the last 8 years.  He's been in Zimmer's back pocket, and when there was doubt before he was signed, every tweet you heard from players was about "keeping Pauly".  The D will not drop off, it's just not gonna happen!

Guenther wasn't with Zimmer for 8 years, he just got with Zimmer when Zimmer was hired here in 2009. Just because Guenther has been following Zimmer around for the past 4 years doesn't mean can coach a top 10 defense. If that was the case then why didn't we promote Adam Zimmer to defensive coordinator,he came from Zimmer's balls, doesn't get any closer to Zimmer than that. 

My thing is something bad always happens, this year it was Atkins and Hall getting injured..who knows what it will be next year. Just because these guys have had success in the past doesn't mean they will have it going forward. It's no guarantee that Guenther will be able to fill Zimmer's shoes without any drop off.

Guenther wasn't with Zimmer for 8 years, he just got with Zimmer when Zimmer was hired here in 2009. Just because Guenther has been following Zimmer around for the past 4 years doesn't mean can coach a top 10 defense. If that was the case then why didn't we promote Adam Zimmer to defensive coordinator,he came from Zimmer's balls, doesn't get any closer to Zimmer than that. 

Zimmer was here 6 years, not 4.  He was hired in 2008.

Guenther has been with the Bengals since 2005.  Marvin has been grooming him for this.

Zimmer was here 6 years, not 4.  He was hired in 2008.

Guenther has been with the Bengals since 2005.  Marvin has been grooming him for this.

Regardless of how long he has been following Zimmer around, there is no guarantee he is going to be able to coach a top 10 defense. They way people just assume that there will be no drop off in the defense is just silly, Guenther has never been a coordinator at the pro level to think that he will come in and in his first season as a defensive coordinator coach a top 10 defense just doesn't make sense. 

Regardless of how long he has been following Zimmer around, there is no guarantee he is going to be able to coach a top 10 defense. They way people just assume that there will be no drop off in the defense is just silly,

So I'm silly for not being willing to prematurely judge something that never comes with a guarantee?

Go figure.

FWIW I'll only start dialing back my expectations only if MJ leaves in FA or the injury bug bites.

Regardless of how long he has been following Zimmer around, there is no guarantee he is going to be able to coach a top 10 defense. They way people just assume that there will be no drop off in the defense is just silly, Guenther has never been a coordinator at the pro level to think that he will come in and in his first season as a defensive coordinator coach a top 10 defense just doesn't make sense.

The Rats didn't die after Marvin...and they didn't die after Footman. The next schlep up...just kept going.

Wayne Woodrow said "you win with people". There are people here. So is the system.

Ok, so you're a pessimist. Have you even looked at Pauly's Resume? He was a college head coach at 25, and has worked his way up the professional ranks from the bottom up. He hasn't been following Zimmer, he's been mentored by Zimmer. He has the players and the training to be top 10. Since I'm senseless, how about we bet a 100 bucks on it? Now, here's the deal. We send the money to Go, with this understanding, at the end of the regular season, we look at the rankings by yards and points and average. If average is 11-32 in the league, You get your money back and Go gives mine to the winner of the NFL whole season Pickem's. 1-10, and it's your cash. Whadda you think?

Archived