Zimmer thinks Hunt is ready

ZIM LIKES HUNT, D: This how it's been going for rookie Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer at his first NFL meeting, still looking a little weird in purple after all these years in black and orange. During a break in a meeting Monday morning, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera walked by, stuck out his hand, and said. "Congratulations."

"Hey Ron, I appreciate it," Zimmer said.

On Sunday, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher told him, "It's been long overdue. I'm happy for you." And those are two guys he doesn't know all that well.

But he knows the Bengals' third-ranked defense and, have no fear, he thinks they'll be good again. He thinks they'll be able to survive losing right end Michael Johnson and believes Margus Hunt is ready to step up.

"Those guys have a good team. That's a good defensive team," Zimmer said. "They'll be fine. (Wallace) Gilberry is good. I think Margus Hunt will take a big jump. They've positioned themselves we’ll for a long time."

Zimmer has broken the silence with his successor, former Bengals linebackers coach Paul Guenther. It was a little bit awkward since everyone thought Guenther would follow Zimmer as his coordinator after he pretty much served as Zimmer's aide de camp for six years.

"Yeah, we’ve talked some. Those are good players. He'll do fine," Zimmer said. "He's got a good defensive team there.  He helped me with protections and he did a good job with the linebackers."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-add-CB-Zim-likes-Hunt-Steelers-waiting-on-Harrison/dc581511-e0fc-47c3-94fc-457225c4bdfe

Was the rumor that Zimmer was upset with Guenther?  If true, I just don't understand.  I know they were good friends, but why would anyone in their right mind leave this defense, who will likely be top 5 with 97 and 29 back, for the Vikings porous defense?  The goal is to become a HC, not destroy your resume.

It may not be true and I hope it isn't.

Was the rumor that Zimmer was upset with Guenther?  If true, I just don't understand.  I know they were good friends, but why would anyone in their right mind leave this defense, who will likely be top 5 with 97 and 29 back, for the Vikings porous defense?  The goal is to become a HC, not destroy your resume.

It may not be true and I hope it isn't.

it is, though when zimmer said it a month or two ago you couldn't really tell if he was sarcastic or not.

Apparently not.  He really pushed for Guenther to be his DC and was not happy that he was turned down.

IIRC position coach to coordinator is considered a lateral move and the Bengals could not block him from interviewing

The position coach to coordinator is a lateral move, so they could have blocked him, except he had it written in his contract that they wouldn't.  So it was his decision to stay, not a block by the organization.

Guenther chose the Bengals over Minnesota, Washington, and a 4 unknown franchise that wanted him as DC.

I see.  Pretty much a no brainer on Guenther's part.  I wonder which team was the 4th?  I'd have

to guess a team with a new head coach possibly.

I'd like to know what Zimmer was thinking when the Vikings signed Everson Griffen to a 5 yr. deal

for 42.5 million with 20 million guaranteed vs. the contract Michael Johnson got with the Bucs!?

5 yrs. for 43.75 million with 24 million guaranteed.

Not a lot of difference in the contracts.  Basically just 4 million more guaranteed money.  Especially

considering Griffen only has ONE start in his career vs. Johnson having 45 starts.  Not too mention

Johnson having a ton more experience with Zimmer.

The goal is to become a HC, not destroy your resume.

When you said that, all I could think of was Dick Lebeau.  Great DC but lacking in terms of HC ability.  Lebeau didn't destroy his resume, he simply revised his goals...  A couple years in Minnesota he will be back kinda like Hue.

When you said that, all I could think of was Dick Lebeau.  Great DC but lacking in terms of HC ability.  Lebeau didn't destroy his resume, he simply revised his goals...  A couple years in Minnesota he will be back kinda like Hue.

Took the words right off of my keyboard.

Guenther going to Minny would probably be a huge black mark on his resume after he was fired after a couple of years.  That defense is full of suck.

ML: Last year (safety) George Iloka played almost every snap for us without playing for us as a rookie. I think they're the same transitional guys. They all jumped through the same hoops to get there and now they have an opportunity to do the best they can do. Margus got some experience we didn't expect him to get. All that is just great, no one is going to work harder at it than him. He just needs to continue to get time on task.

Q: Does he have to learn more than others because he's new to the game?

L: It's a reactive game and he has to continue to have opportunities to react.

Q: Does it matter left or right end?

ML: No.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-highlights-from-AFC-coaches-breakfast/9bb0db17-dc43-4607-bfa5-4b2d7e23c1e7?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Archived