Florida HS charges graduates to graduate and parents can pay $200 for a "premium seat"

Go Skins

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25559231/florida-high-school-charging-200-for-premium-graduation-seats#axzz2qesbIFtZ

BRADENTON, Fla. -

A new graduation policy at a Florida high school is causing outrage.

Students at Manatee High School in Bradenton, Fla., are being required to pay $20 to participate in the event. And if parents want a good view of their child receiving their diploma, the school is charging $200 for a “premium” seat.

The school district said the extra cost is a means to pay for the ceremony due to a lack of fundsicon1.png.

But parents are calling the whole plan ridiculous.

What to cap and gown's cost now a days?  To me, that should be the only cost for a HS graduation.

what?

how?

most schools can barely afford to stay open, pay teachers anything, and fund the basics. unless it can be done for virtually nothing, why should the school pay for a huge event? HOW would a school pay for a huge event?

there are areas of ohio who havent passed levies in a decade and have schools that are falling apart with graduating classes of 500-1000+. cant fund sports, cancel sports, 

if the school requires a VENUE outside of the school to do a 5000+ attendee event, there is absolutely no reason they should be fronting the bill for this.

the ceremonies are excessive and 99% bullshit, teachers and principles pretending they gave a shit the last four years, students pretending they cared the last 4 years.. all to get a booklet with a diploma i have never seen again and is stashed in a box somewhere in the basement.

this should be the first thing cancelled when money is tight. sports and other school programs are far more important than some over zealous ceremony.

IMO

what?

how?

most schools can barely afford to stay open, pay teachers anything, and fund the basics. unless it can be done for virtually nothing, why should the school pay for a huge event? HOW would a school pay for a huge event?

there are areas of ohio who havent passed levies in a decade and have schools that are falling apart with graduating classes of 500-1000+. cant fund sports, cancel sports, 

if the school requires a VENUE outside of the school to do a 5000+ attendee event, there is absolutely no reason they should be fronting the bill for this.

the ceremonies are excessive and 99% bullshit, teachers and principles pretending they gave a shit the last four years, students pretending they cared the last 4 years.. all to get a booklet with a diploma i have never seen again and is stashed in a box somewhere in the basement.

this should be the first thing cancelled when money is tight. sports and other school programs are far more important than some over zealous ceremony.

IMO

I don't know how Ohio schools work, but what Prince William County has done in Virginia for years is either have it on the school's football field which hold at least 5,000 people or a concert venue (in this case, Jiffy Lube Live) which has at least 10,000 seats.  There are 15 high school's in the county (I believe).  When I graduated in '94, the ceremony was held indoors in the gym as it was too hot that day (yes, that was the excuse) and tickets were limited to who could see it in person. There were TV's set up throughout the school and the ceremony was televised on closed circuit TV. 

If I am reading your opinion correctly, you are saying graduation ceremonies at the HS level should be eliminated?  So 12 years of school mean absolutely nothing to someone?  The memories of making potential life long friends, maybe a HS sweetheart (I know, rare this day in age), playing sports, and countless other things get thrown out the window because the ceremony is meaningless? 

I don't know how Ohio schools work, but what Prince William County has done in Virginia for years is either have it on the school's football field which hold at least 5,000 people or a concert venue (in this case, Jiffy Lube Live) which has at least 10,000 seats.  There are 15 high school's in the county (I believe).  When I graduated in '94, the ceremony was held indoors in the gym as it was too hot that day (yes, that was the excuse) and tickets were limited to who could see it in person. There were TV's set up throughout the school and the ceremony was televised on closed circuit TV. 

If I am reading your opinion correctly, you are saying graduation ceremonies at the HS level should be eliminated?  So 12 years of school mean absolutely nothing to someone?  The memories of making potential life long friends, maybe a HS sweetheart (I know, rare this day in age), playing sports, and countless other things get thrown out the window because the ceremony is meaningless? 

You do realize its not free to hold the event at Jiffy Lube right?

My niece graduated from Kindergarten a few years ago.  Stupid shit like that needs to stop.

Yes.

Looking at little kids wearing a cap and gown is absurd. 

You do realize its not free to hold the event at Jiffy Lube right?

Yes.

Looking at little kids wearing a cap and gown is absurd. 

Are the schools charging to use Jiffy Lube?  Maybe it is a "good gesture" thing. 

Are the schools charging to use Jiffy Lube?  Maybe it is a "good gesture" thing. 

I think you mean to say is Jiffy Lube charging the schools to use it. I'd be surprised if they werent. They are going to have clean up costs and such.

To some kids it actually means something. I didn't really care but I had friends who cared. I just looked at it as something I had to do. Plus, it was kinda cool to get that final day of "school" in. Kind of a cap to the last 12 years of torture you went through. I also think it's good to reward the kids with their name being called, hand shook, etc. Some kids never get their hands shook, congratulated, never had their name called for anything and have people applaud them for something they've accomplished. For those kids, it's pretty awesome in my opinion.

what?

how?

IMO

Go you are entitled to that opinion, and on many points I agree especially when schools are facing economic crisis.

In general, I felt the same way when I graduated HS and college and for many years afterwards.

I will tell you this though...I'm guessing you will have a change of heart on this in time...I got 2 kids....a few years ago when my older boy walked up to the podium to get his HS diploma was one of the proudest and most memorable days of my life.  In my case, I also knew how hard my wife worked with him to graduate with honors and get accepted into the college and degree program of his choice.  I was equally proud of her accomplishments that day.  I felt it very appropriate to honor.  No way I'd ever take that away.  His grandparents and godparents felt the same way.  I'm not sure my son got a ton out of it at the time since he was more fixated on the after parties, but I'm guessing it means more to him as time goes by.  Maybe a silly, over dramatic, and expensive ceremony to some, and if taken strictly at face value maybe it is, but what it represents and what it honors is very moving and very important to many.  IMHO.

Kindergarten is arguably excessive, but it depends on how its done.  If its just a little ceremony targeted for the kids, I've seen it to be a fun event.  If taken too seriously I agree it can get absurd.

As I majored in music the first time around and was forced to play at every fucking commencement, Pomp and Circumstance makes me homicidal.

When I finally obtained my degree 10 years later I had them mail me the diploma... 

Archived