Gresham Watch: Excellence on the move.

Keep in mind Jimmy Grahm was a 3rd rounder and is a very marginal blocker at best.  He is pretty much a 6'7" slot receiver.

Right and a huge mismatch.  If there was a re-draft, you don't think he would be a top 5 pick?  Obviously he's an extreme example of it, because he's the best move tight end in the game right now, but hindsight is 20/20 and Tyler was great value where we got him in 2013.  IMO, the only other player between him and Gio when we picked you could argue for would be Ertz or Hopkins.  Tyler was much more highly regarded than Ertz at that point who had a lot of warts and Hopkins had just trashed a hotel room at the combine or something of that nature.

Tyler isn't going to be an in-line tight end.  He's not going to be doing much blocking.  There's a reason they're looking at Fasano and guys that are more in-line guys.  He's going to be used as a move tight end in 2015.  Two tight end sets aren't going anywhere.

Do you think Fasano is going to be anywhere close to the blocker that Gresham is? They love the run game over there in KC just as much as we do. They wouldn't just let a talented run blocker go. He's gone for a reason. I don't think you guys recognize just how efficient Gresham was sometimes with his blocking. Yeah, he had his mistakes, but who on this damn team doesn't? Its a Marvin Lewis team. Undisciplined as fuck all the way around.

I think Gresham is an excellent blocker.  I'd love to see him back.  Obviously it doesn't seem like its going to happen.  I do not expect Tyler to take over Jermaine's blocking duties, though.  He may be asked to block in three receiver sets at times, but with Ryan Hewitt as an H-back, Tyler may not see the field a ton in running situations.

I think Gresham is an excellent blocker.  I'd love to see him back.  Obviously it doesn't seem like its going to happen.  I do not expect Tyler to take over Jermaine's blocking duties, though.  He may be asked to block in three receiver sets at times, but with Ryan Hewitt as an H-back, Tyler may not see the field a ton in running situations.

So you're saying we'd be telegraphing our play calls because our starting TE can't block. 1/2 :ninja:

And yet you defend the Bengals for using a first round pick on a low value position. Nobody intelligent wastes a first round picks on a tight end unless his name is Vernon Davis.

This teams OC at the time Eifert was drafted spoke often of the importance of the TE position in his scheme.

He spoke frequently about how the use of two TE's was the primary way of defeating stacked coverages and double teams rolled towards #! WR AJ Green.

Gresham has failed utterly in this role, and others as well, thereby dictating more assets be directed at the position.

Eifert isn't here because the Bengals got greedy or wasteful at the TE position.

Eifert is here because Gresham was handicapping the offense.

Gresham was too mistake prone and too mentally weak to be trusted and he capped his Bengal career by quitting on the Bengals and his teammates in the final three weeks.

How can you blame the coaching staff for that?

This teams OC at the time Eifert was drafted spoke often of the importance of the TE position in his scheme.

He spoke frequently about how the use of two TE's was the primary way of defeating stacked coverages and double teams rolled towards #! WR AJ Green.

Gresham has failed utterly in this role, and others as well, thereby dictating more assets be directed at the position.

Eifert isn't here because the Bengals got greedy or wasteful at the TE position.

Gresham was too mistake prone and too mentally weak to be trusted and he capped his Bengal career by quitting on the Bengals and his teammates in the final three weeks.

So hilariously and grossly overrating Gresham's incompetence. Revisionist history ftw.

He failed by making the Pro-Bowl....twice???  He failed in 2013 because AJ Green only made the Pro-Bowl again?  Didn't Andy have his best year in 2013 while Gresham was failing?   What nonsense.

Gresham was not handicapping the offense, however, I do think he made too many mistakes and he needs a change of scenery.

Unforgivable to opt out of the Indianapolis game to save himself for free agency.  Not a team player.  A quitter.  Team that signs him is in for a big surprise.  One piece of advice for that team - don't gameplan a playoff game around him.    

Unforgivable to opt out of the Indianapolis game to save himself for free agency.  Not a team player.  A quitter.  Team that signs him is in for a big surprise.  One piece of advice for that team - don't gameplan a playoff game around him.    

Nothing is unforgivable around here.

Chad proved that much.

Palmer too.  

Gresham is just the latest example of a quitter with diehard fans.

Perfectly understandable though.

Fucked up Bengals fans are quick to forgive Bengal players for quitting because they've been close to quitting the Bengals their whole lives.

Crazier still, these same fucked up Bengal fans almost always find a way to hate the player who replaced the quitter.

Not the Browns.  I do not want to play him twice a year.  He is a bad man when he is focused. 

That's what I said earlier. Don't do that shit, Jermaine. LOL. At his core, he's gotta be like, "yeah fuck the Browns". I'd pick Cali over Cleveland any fuckin day.

Browns are getting in the Jermaine Gresham sweepstakes, per @MaryKayCabot. #Bengals

So now we know what's slowing things down.

IMHO this is very good news.

Two teams bidding for Gresham will drive his price up and remove any temptation for the Bengals to dumpster dive.

He failed by making the Pro-Bowl....twice???  He failed in 2013 because AJ Green only made the Pro-Bowl again?  Didn't Andy have his best year in 2013 while Gresham was failing?   What nonsense.

Gresham was not handicapping the offense, however, I do think he made too many mistakes and he needs a change of scenery.

Have to apply the same exact logic to Dalton too... Both of them are 2 time Pro Bowlers.

LMMFAO!!!

The only reason either one of them made the Pro Bowl was because everyone else cancelled out.

So now we know what's slowing things down.

IMHO this is very good news.

Two teams bidding for Gresham will drive his price up and remove any temptation for the Bengals to dumpster dive.

Did you look at the Maualuga contract? We're already in the dumpster, buddy. The TE position will be less productive this year if we don't add outside talent.

Did you look at the Maualuga contract? We're already in the dumpster, buddy.

So why stick around any longer than needed?

Keeping Gresham just because there wasn't much FA interest in him would be bad mojo.

The TE position will be less productive this year if we don't add outside talent.

I'm 100% certain we will.

Archived