I wrote this for my sister and it needs to be said

I did not watch the draft on TV, so I was waiting for the picks to come in on a draft tracker. I was a little stunned when I saw the Fisher pick come in. I think my second thought was that this is going to cause a major storm of negativity among the masses of Bengal Nation. The prevailing sentiment seems to be that the Bengals have somehow disrespected Whit. Y’all are going to have to explain that to me. If Whit didn’t know that the coaches were gonna be looking at tackles, he’s not one-tenth as smart as I think he is. He had to know that was coming, just look at the roster. Before the new rookies, the six OTs were Tanner Hawkinson and 2 practice squad guys no-one has ever heard of, so, the only game day OTs are Whit, Andre and Eric Winston. Whit played very well last year and I expect him to play well again in 2015, but face it folks, Andre has never been much better than a tub of often injured goo and Eric Winston is clearly at the end of his shelf-life, in my opinion. Our OTs are in complete disarray pre-draft and very deep post-draft. Y’all are not seeing the giant potential up-side of this because of a perceived lack of respect for Whit…but where is the disrespect? The first round pick is a good pick and completely justified under the circumstances. That being said, I can only assume` that your outrage comes from taking Fisher in the 2nd rd. If that is the case, I submit to you that it is probably misplaced. I don’t think the coaches envisioned taking two tackles, but if you look at the draft, it most certainly shook out that way. I believe that when our pick came up @ #53, Fisher was so far ahead of the next guy on their board, they could not pass him up and let the stealers take him with the next pick. Fisher was the 5th rated OT and the 31st player overall and we got him at 53. If projections are anywhere close, this is big value for your draft…I can’t see how this is a bad thing and the only reason you are pissed is this perceived slight of Whit. Were they supposed to call and blow some sunshine up Whit’s butt while they were on the clock? Come on guys, there has been no slight of Whit in any context that I can see.
What I do see is that we just put our team in the position of being a dominant rush team, potentially more dominant than The Seahawks…the one thing that’s always been missing. Give these two kids a year to learn from Whit and then give Whit a two year contract that is fair to both sides and ask him to move to LG where Boling would be nice depth. Moving to guard could absolutely extend Whit’s career and has the potential to give us the best O-line in football on the cheap for at least 4 or 5 years,. I believe that if Whit plays anywhere near as well as he did last year, the Bengals will treat him fairly unless he demands some sort of bank buster deal. If someone offers him that, there’s no disrespect because Whit gets paid. We thank him for his many contributions to our team and we wish him well, but despite Whit’s possible departure, our tackle problems are over for the foreseeable future. I believe the Bengals will take care of him and he rides out his career as a Bengal. That remains to be seen and Ogbuehi and Fisher have to prove themselves, but to me, the potential upside of this is mountainous, much like Diamondhead...

Andre has never been much better than a tub of often injured goo

False.  Last year was not good, but the 2 or 3 before that he was very good.

I agree with most of the rest of what you said, but Boling would be rather expensive "depth".

False.  Last year was not good, but the 2 or 3 before that he was very good.

I agree with most of the rest of what you said, but Boling would be rather expensive "depth".

I'd say very good is a stretch.  I might give him some pretty goods but three pretty goods and 3 pretty mediocre do not justify his spot in the draft. I think Andre will play out his contract and be on a fast track out of the Queen City, and I'm sure not gonna have a problem with that.  Gresham is likely to be gone this year and I'm all-in with that, too!

That kind of snarky remark is the reason why I rarely come back to this site.  Weird?  Right back at ya, big boy...

Whatever. I don't have a problem with your analysis, telling us you wrote this to for you sister for some reason is weird. Whit is an above average 33 year old left tackle. Drafting his replacement was a no brainer and didn't need a 1000 word explaination.

pffft!  Who wants members to participate here anyway?  Chase the thin-skinned ones away!

I'm kind of hoping our #1 and #2 picks will contribute by playing this year -- not because of injury but by outcompeting the guards and center. 

It's pretty clear they are already contributing by being the fire underneath the offensive line.

pffft!  Who wants members to participate here anyway?  Chase the thin-skinned ones away!

I'm kind of hoping our #1 and #2 picks will contribute by playing this year -- not because of injury but by outcompeting the guards and center. 

It's pretty clear they are already contributing by being the fire underneath the offensive line.

Sorry but proclaiming you wrote something like that for your sister is just a bit odd. Who does that?

Maybe he is saying there are a lot of whiny bitches here who remind him of his sister?

I am not whining, it just wasn't a shock to anyone we would draft an OT and I doubt any of us needed a novel written to explain why it was done. The only issue with the first round pick was current health of said pick.

OT is probably the second least sexy pick that can be made in the 1st round, the least being guard*.  Some [s]whiny bitches[/s] people need the explanation to be made that while not very sexy, the game starts from the line on up and picking linemen early is a good thing. 

*I'm not even considering punter and kicker here. 

OT is probably the second least sexy pick that can be made in the 1st round, the least being guard*.  Some whiny bitches people need the explanation to be made that while not very sexy, the game starts from the line on up and picking linemen early is a good thing. 

*I'm not even considering punter and kicker here.

Actually, most of us understood the pick completely. The problem was picking the guy with the ACL and back issue.

I did not watch the draft on TV, so I was waiting for the picks to come in on a draft tracker. I was a little stunned when I saw the Fisher pick come in. I think my second thought was that this is going to cause a major storm of negativity among the masses of Bengal Nation. The prevailing sentiment seems to be that the Bengals have somehow disrespected Whit. Y’all are going to have to explain that to me. If Whit didn’t know that the coaches were gonna be looking at tackles, he’s not one-tenth as smart as I think he is. He had to know that was coming, just look at the roster. Before the new rookies, the six OTs were Tanner Hawkinson and 2 practice squad guys no-one has ever heard of, so, the only game day OTs are Whit, Andre and Eric Winston. Whit played very well last year and I expect him to play well again in 2015, but face it folks, Andre has never been much better than a tub of often injured goo and Eric Winston is clearly at the end of his shelf-life, in my opinion. Our OTs are in complete disarray pre-draft and very deep post-draft. Y’all are not seeing the giant potential up-side of this because of a perceived lack of respect for Whit…but where is the disrespect? The first round pick is a good pick and completely justified under the circumstances. That being said, I can only assume` that your outrage comes from taking Fisher in the 2nd rd. If that is the case, I submit to you that it is probably misplaced. I don’t think the coaches envisioned taking two tackles, but if you look at the draft, it most certainly shook out that way. I believe that when our pick came up @ #53, Fisher was so far ahead of the next guy on their board, they could not pass him up and let the stealers take him with the next pick. Fisher was the 5th rated OT and the 31st player overall and we got him at 53. If projections are anywhere close, this is big value for your draft…I can’t see how this is a bad thing and the only reason you are pissed is this perceived slight of Whit. Were they supposed to call and blow some sunshine up Whit’s butt while they were on the clock? Come on guys, there has been no slight of Whit in any context that I can see.
What I do see is that we just put our team in the position of being a dominant rush team, potentially more dominant than The Seahawks…the one thing that’s always been missing. Give these two kids a year to learn from Whit and then give Whit a two year contract that is fair to both sides and ask him to move to LG where Boling would be nice depth. Moving to guard could absolutely extend Whit’s career and has the potential to give us the best O-line in football on the cheap for at least 4 or 5 years,. I believe that if Whit plays anywhere near as well as he did last year, the Bengals will treat him fairly unless he demands some sort of bank buster deal. If someone offers him that, there’s no disrespect because Whit gets paid. We thank him for his many contributions to our team and we wish him well, but despite Whit’s possible departure, our tackle problems are over for the foreseeable future. I believe the Bengals will take care of him and he rides out his career as a Bengal. That remains to be seen and Ogbuehi and Fisher have to prove themselves, but to me, the potential upside of this is mountainous, much like Diamondhead...

How are you going to feel when they kick Whit to the curb for one of these younger guys? It's coming.

No one beats Old Man Time, and that crafty fucker comes on quick and mercilessly. I'm glad we're ready for him. 

Whatever. I don't have a problem with your analysis, telling us you wrote this to for you sister for some reason is weird. Whit is an above average 33 year old left tackle. Drafting his replacement was a no brainer and didn't need a 1000 word explaination.

Thank God you are here to tell people what is necessary.

Actually, most of us understood the pick completely. The problem was picking the guy with the ACL and back issue.

No, it wasn't, IMO.  The problem was picking a guy who almost certainly would have been available somewhere between 3-10 picks later, and not reaping the benefits of a trade that was plainly offered.  In hindsight, even if we didn't get him, we still would have ended up with Fisher so would have been somewhat covered. Or another 1st round player at a position of need. 

But he would have been here, and we would have added two potential starters in rounds 3-5.

I am not whining, it just wasn't a shock to anyone we would draft an OT and I doubt any of us needed a novel written to explain why it was done. The only issue with the first round pick was current health of said pick.

Long posts, much like novels, do not force you to read them.

I could have sworn this was a message board for people to post and discuss their thoughts. And please explain to me why a "Mod" on here is criticizing posters for doing exactly that.

Apparently he checked out A ok medically and they feel he has the bigger upside, so makes sense to me.

I don't disagree at all, just reiterating what quite a few said here on draft day. Picking up a tackle early in the draft should have been a shock to NOBODY.

Long posts, much like novels, do not force you to read them.

I could have sworn this was a message board for people to post and discuss their thoughts. And please explain to me why a "Mod" on here is criticizing posters for doing exactly that.

Because I fucking want to.

Maybe he is saying there are a lot of whiny bitches here who remind him of his sister?

...and you know ? The truth hurts. I've tried explaining things in Bengal world to my older sister ( Dolphins fan ). Usually required a lengthy conversation to explain their actions. I've been ENABLING the Bengals for years...

68, don't mind the others that criticize and critique every little detail. Some of the long term fans understand the ingrained bitterness that the Bengals induce. Keep posting, OK ?

Archived