Charley Casserly Mock Draft 4/25

Mock draft 5.0: Myles Jack freefalls to Falcons

09000d5d826d804a.jpeg

By Charley Casserly

Published: April 25, 2016

LA
QB
California
More ready to play than Carson Wentz. Quick release coupled with quick decision-making. They have been a QB away from being in the playoffs.

PHI
QB
North Dakota St.
Reminds me of Joe Flacco, but more athletic.

SD
OT
Mississippi
Both starting tackles -- King Dunlap and Joe Barksdale -- are signed. But Tunsil is a future Pro Bowl player.

DAL
RB
Ohio St.
Will win more games for them this year than any other player.

JAX
DE
Ohio St.
Gives Jaguars a bookend to Dante Fowler.

BAL
CB
Florida St.
Completes the remake of the Ravens' secondary.

SF
OT
Notre Dame
They won when their offensive line was good.

CLE
DE
Oregon
The Browns will probably trade out of this pick.

TB
CB
Florida
Excellent corner who can play man cover, which will be a big part of the Bucs defense.

NYG
OLB
Georgia
They have been weak at linebacker for a while. Floyd also gives them another pass rusher, which is something the Giants love.

CHI
DT
Alabama
The Bears need a big run-stuffing end in their 34 defense.

NO
DE
Clemson
Pass rush is a top priority for the Saints.

MIA
DE
Clemson
They continue to build their defensive line in an effort to beat New England.

OAK
ILB
Alabama
Major need is at middle linebacker. Very instinctive player.

TEN
OT
Michigan St.
They will fill their need at right tackle and keep all of those extra picks.

DET
OT
Ohio St.
Fills a need to help protect Matt Stafford. Do they move Riley Reiff to the right side?

ATL
OLB
UCLA
Falcons decide to take a gamble on the potential Pro Bowl player who drops because of longterm knee concerns.

IND
DE
Eastern Kentucky
They need to improve on their pass rush.

BUF
DT
Mississippi
Buffalo sees too much talent to pass on him. Will help on inside pass rush.

NYJ
CB
Ohio St.
The pass rushers are gone so they take a cornerback and just keep blitzing to get pressure.

WAS
DT
Alabama
Helps improve the Redskins' rub defense.

HOU
WR
Baylor
They need to add speed to their offense.

MIN
WR
Mississippi
Teddy Bridgewater needs some weapons.

CIN
WR
Notre Dame
Fills a big need created by the free-agency losses of Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu.

PIT
CB
Miami
Some will say this is a reach but he is my next best cornerback.

SEA
OLB
Ohio St.
He fits the run-and-chase style of the Seahawks defense.

GB
DT
Louisville
Replaces B.J. Raji at nose tackle.

KC
CB
Houston
Fills void left by Sean Smith.

ARI
CB
Clemson
They got Chandler Jones to rush the passer. Alexander fills their other major need at cornerback.

CAR
DT
Louisiana Tech
Both of Carolina's starting defensive tackles will be free agents over the next two years.

DEN
QB
Memphis
Major need for Denver. Will end up starting as a rookie. 

WR wise if Doctson and Fuller are there.....no way we pass on Doctson. Plus in this mock Darron Lee is still there as is Vernon Butler.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you listen to Marvin Lewis/Dave Lapham/Hobson and those that in the past have had inside info on the Bengals (like Peter King), the Bengals clearly value that 4.32 speed and big-play threat of Fuller. I suspect they also like Doctson a lot, but I wouldn't completely discount the value of that 4.32 vs. 4.50 when the Bengals are putting their draft board together and ranking the WRs.

As fans, we forget that these #2 receivers play about 70 snaps and only get targeted about 7 times per game. Marvin Jones was targeted 6.4 times per game last year for example. The other 90% of the time they are just decoys and blockers. The speed guy keeps a defense honest and from cheating a 7th or 8th guy into the box. The speed guy forces a Safety to get deep after the snap if he runs a deep route, which is often key in opening up the underneath stuff for the TEs and slot receivers. He also keeps teams from being able to focus extra attention on AJ all the time (look at AJ's yards per target in games with Marvin Jones healthy vs. games without him). 

Anyway, I think the Bengals might take Fuller (especially if Coleman is gone). And I don't think they are idiots for doing it because of the positive impact he could have on the rest of the offense.

Last Fuller post of the week, but can't you guys get at least a little excited by this guy:

I watched some of those games and what you don't realize is just how many of those plays were game-changers and/or game-winners. And unless you watch him, you don't realize just how fast he is on the field and what a legit NFL combine 4.32 looks like when a guy is also that fast in pads. There's a play in that video above where he makes 4.47 Darron Lee and top Safety Vonn Bell look like they're running in quicksand. Anyway, I'm on board with the pick and actually am going to be a little disappointed if both Fuller and Coleman are off the board at 24. 

To me this is the NIGHTMARE scenario, as the 2 best WR go right before the Bengals pick (Treadwell and Coleman) leaving the Bengals with Fuller. :2:

WR wise if Doctson and Fuller are there.....no way we pass on Doctson. Plus in this mock Darron Lee is still there as is Vernon Butler.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

The reason why people are so high on Fuller is because he's consistently produced against TOP competition.  He runs decent routes and can cut a dime.  Also, if you watch the video of the game against CB Mackensie Alexander, the CB did not shut Fuller down - the QB was waaaayyy off target with half his throws and Fuller still got open on short to intermediate routes against Alexander. But I'm still torn on if we should take him, only coz I too like Doctson better.

Last Fuller post of the week, but can't you guys get at least a little excited by this guy:

I watched some of those games and what you don't realize is just how many of those plays were game-changers and/or game-winners. And unless you watch him, you don't realize just how fast he is on the field and what a legit NFL combine 4.32 looks like when a guy is also that fast in pads. There's a play in that video above where he makes 4.47 Darron Lee and top Safety Vonn Bell look like they're running in quicksand. Anyway, I'm on board with the pick and actually am going to be a little disappointed if both Fuller and Coleman are off the board at 24. 

My main concern with Fuller the video doesnt negate. I didnt see him beat press one time in the whole video and he will be going against a different caliber of db weekly in the NFL where if he can't beat press his speed will be negated on a reguar basis. AJ is a deep threat always even when double teamed already. Eiefert is a threat down the seam which I would like to see more of so in my opinion I think a more physical chain mover that's still a deep threat because of size route running that will go over middle without alligator arms and get a few more targets than that 7 a game stat would be better for this team. Just my opinion though and if we did go Fuller and he proved he could get off press and let his speed kill it I would be ecstatic. Speed is always the 1st thing to go and the slight frame he has isn't to comforting in the NFL let alone the AFC North with the schmuck cheap shotting Stoolers being played twice a year just as another reason I would like a more physical guy like Treadwell.

My main concern with Fuller the video doesnt negate. I didnt see him beat press one time in the whole video and he will be going against a different caliber of db weekly in the NFL where if he can't beat press his speed will be negated on a reguar basis. AJ is a deep threat always even when double teamed already. Eiefert is a threat down the seam which I would like to see more of so in my opinion I think a more physical chain mover that's still a deep threat because of size route running that will go over middle without alligator arms and get a few more targets than that 7 a game stat would be better for this team. Just my opinion though and if we did go Fuller and he proved he could get off press and let his speed kill it I would be ecstatic. Speed is always the 1st thing to go and the slight frame he has isn't to comforting in the NFL let alone the AFC North with the schmuck cheap shotting Stoolers being played twice a year just as another reason I would like a more physical guy like Treadwell.

I'm not sure you're going to get to see him beat press coverage during his highlight video because he's too busy just running by everyone else on the field to the end zone again and again.

Getting off press coverage at the line is something that can be taught and it wouldn't take him long to catch on learning tricks from AJ Green.  What he does have is the one thing that can not be taught, speed and big play making ability.  He's a threat for 6 every time he touches the ball.

That being said, I'd have a hard time not taking Rankins in this mock draft scenario though.

I'm not sure you're going to get to see him beat press coverage during his highlight video because he's too busy just running by everyone else on the field to the end zone again and again.

Getting off press coverage at the line is something that can be taught and it wouldn't take him long to catch on learning tricks from AJ Green.  What he does have is the one thing that can not be taught, speed and big play making ability.  He's a threat for 6 every time he touches the ball.

That being said, I'd have a hard time not taking Rankins in this mock draft scenario though.

Beating press in the NFL isn't just a gven if it was the technique wouldn't exist. He doesn't have the size arm length or physicality that AJ Green does. It would be nice to see him beating press some in his video not just catching screens and alot of stuff with 10 yard cushions. The game speed is much faster in the NFL and if he's held up at the line his speed is not near as effective and like I said speed is always 1st thing that goes with age or injury and his small frame could be a concern. Again just my opinion the way I see it but if we do take him I hope he does tear it up. I just have concerns about him is all and would be more comfortable with a more physical type guy. Speed is nice but it's not an end all if it were all those olympic sprinters would of made it when they gave it a go.

I am not saying that the Bengals will not pick a WR, but most of these mocks that pick a WR are lazy and don't really know the Bengals. The big FA news was Marvin and Mo leaving, so WR is a no brainer at 24. As real fans know by now, they will not be locked in on WR and get the best one left. They probably only like a couple of them at 24 and if they're gone, we will see a defensive player. I don't think they will go C at 24. They have more faith in Bodine than the fans and media. WR would be the most fun pick though. And if they pick one, maybe the draft shows won't move on to the next pick 10 seconds after the announcement as usual. 

I am not saying that the Bengals will not pick a WR, but most of these mocks that pick a WR are lazy and don't really know the Bengals. The big FA news was Marvin and Mo leaving, so WR is a no brainer at 24. As real fans know by now, they will not be locked in on WR and get the best one left. They probably only like a couple of them at 24 and if they're gone, we will see a defensive player. I don't think they will go C at 24. They have more faith in Bodine than the fans and media. WR would be the most fun pick though. And if they pick one, maybe the draft shows won't move on to the next pick 10 seconds after the announcement as usual. 

I agree 100% that they wont be choosing a wr just to coose a wr. If the oes they like arent there im guessing they go with Jackson Joseph or Lee possibly if any are there and I would be good with that. Wouldn't be suprised if their initial plan was to wait til round 2 for one that they like hoping maybe Miller or Thomas is there. Whatever they do I trust them their performance these last years have earned that trust from me. I would be psyched to get B. Miller in round 2 idk what the most recent general opinions are where he goes but a bit ago I  know it was very doubtful he made it that far but if he did I would be psyched about it.

Here is Fuller against Boston College.

Here is what I see. 

Positives

A willing blocker

Has speed, I would say maybe more quick than fast

Has some moves after the catch

Negatives

Seems scared to go across the middle if there is traffic there

Which leads into doesnt seem willing to fight for the ball in traffic....makes me question his toughness, but on the other hand he does seem willing to block

Drops, Drops, Drops... he can catch the ball in open space, but he isnt gonna get the kind of open space he gets in college in the NFL.

I hope he isnt the pick, but if he is I hope they coach him up, but the stuff I see about being scared to go across the middle is mental which im not sure you can coach a guy to not be scared. The first time he gets hit by a James Harrison will be the last time he goes across the middle. I dont want a guy who's routes are limited because of something like that.

I agree 100% that they wont be choosing a wr just to coose a wr. If the oes they like arent there im guessing they go with Jackson Joseph or Lee possibly if any are there and I would be good with that. Wouldn't be suprised if their initial plan was to wait til round 2 for one that they like hoping maybe Miller or Thomas is there. Whatever they do I trust them their performance these last years have earned that trust from me. I would be psyched to get B. Miller in round 2 idk what the most recent general opinions are where he goes but a bit ago I  know it was very doubtful he made it that far but if he did I would be psyched about it.

Bengals fans would lose their mind if they don't go WR in either of the first 2 rounds, but it's possible. Mo was a 3rd and Marvin was a 5th and who else did they have at that point besides AJ?

If Fuller is the only 1st Round WR left when we pick I think I take something other than WR and try to get Tyler Boyd in the 2nd.

What I see

Positives

Sure hands (like REALLY good hands)

Can catch against coverage

Can take a hit and hold onto the ball

Returns kicks

Negitives

Dont see him doing any blocking here, not sure if he gets asked to do that

Loses focus at times

Doesnt have alot of speed

I see where NFL.com compares him to Keenan Allen...but he reminds me of TJ Houshmandzadeh

Good discussion on the WRs. Definitely some concerns about Fuller (including him getting off press). I'm of the opinion that his positives outweigh the negatives, but reasonable minds can disagree. 

Jamie, three things:

-BC was Fuller's worst game of the past two seasons. You aren't going to like him if that's the game you pick to look at. Look at basically any other game and I think you'll like him more. 

-If your scouting report is that Fuller's more quick than fast, I'm not sure what WR you are going to think is actually fast. 

-The problem with waiting until round 2 is that there aren't many WRs projected to go in that range and it sounds like they could get pushed up. McShay was saying on Sportscaster yesterday that he's hearing Boyd is one of the late risers in the class and should go off the board in the top 10 picks of the 2nd round. 

Good discussion on the WRs. Definitely some concerns about Fuller (including him getting off press). I'm of the opinion that his positives outweigh the negatives, but reasonable minds can disagree. 

Jamie, three things:

-BC was Fuller's worst game of the past two seasons. You aren't going to like him if that's the game you pick to look at. Look at basically any other game and I think you'll like him more. 

-If your scouting report is that Fuller's more quick than fast, I'm not sure what WR you are going to think is actually fast. 

-The problem with waiting until round 2 is that there aren't many WRs projected to go in that range and it sounds like they could get pushed up. McShay was saying on Sportscaster yesterday that he's hearing Boyd is one of the late risers in the class and should go off the board in the top 10 picks of the 2nd round. 

I'll take a look at some of his other tape. When i say quick not fast, what I mean is I see him getting open but not getting down the field or blowing past guys down the field on Go routes. But I do see his speed after the catch.

Possible they trade down and get an extra pick and pick Boyd up in the early 2nd if they can?

I'm just not comfortable with a guy who looks nervous across the middle and has a reputation for drops.

I'll take a look at some of his other tape. When i say quick not fast, what I mean is I see him getting open but not getting down the field or blowing past guys down the field on Go routes. But I do see his speed after the catch.

Possible they trade down and get an extra pick and pick Boyd up in the early 2nd if they can?

I'm just not comfortable with a guy who looks nervous across the middle and has a reputation for drops.

I wouldn't be shocked at all by a trade down if their top 2 or 3 WRs are gone and I could see the Bengals liking Boyd in round 2 after a trade down. Boyd's probably more of a rich-man's Sanu than a true MJ replacement outside though, so I don't think the Bengals are going to covet him in the same way as Doctson, Coleman and Fuller.

I feel like there are 10 or 15 examples from last season of Fuller just blazing past guys on go routes, but here's a good one. The first play of the game vs. USC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMndBPEP7Go

You also see him run by DBs to draw key pass interference times on back-to-back plays around the 2:40 mark. And he runs past a 4.3 type CB (A'doree Jackson) and makes a sick catch late in the game too. 

I wouldn't be shocked at all by a trade down if their top 2 or 3 WRs are gone and I could see the Bengals liking Boyd in round 2 after a trade down. Boyd's probably more of a rich-man's Sanu than a true MJ replacement outside though, so I don't think the Bengals are going to covet him in the same way as Doctson, Coleman and Fuller.

I feel like there are 10 or 15 examples from last season of Fuller just blazing past guys on go routes, but here's a good one. The first play of the game vs. USC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMndBPEP7Go

You also see him run by DBs to draw key pass interference times on back-to-back plays around the 2:40 mark. And he runs past a 4.3 type CB (A'doree Jackson) and makes a sick catch late in the game too. 

Saw that USC game now. See he can get downfield with the speed too, not just quickness.

The hands and unwillingness to go across the middle still have be worried.

I see Sanu in Treadwell, Marvin Jones in Fuller, Baby Hawk in Coleman, and Doctson of Bryant from the pisstowels.  Like Sanu, Treadwell isn't fast enough to seperate against good corners so I don't think he fits what the Bengals typically look for.  Fuller looks abrupt and smooth in his routes but he catches the ball with his body like Marvin so I'd imagine he will be good for getting behind DB's, but he won't help Andy convert those few jump balls that always seemed to become interceptions.  Coleman is electric in space but is pretty short and The Bengals seem to value height in their receivers.  Doctson lsn't gonna blow by you but he's fast enough for a # 2 and he will fight for the ball.  I'd put my wish list as Doctson, Coleman, Fuller, Treadwell in that order.  I'd say Doctson and Coleman are the only first round picks there but I'd look hard at the depth available on D before I took any of them.  

this guy is the best deep threat in years.  I don't get the hate for this guy.   And you obviously picked the BC game for a reason.  He's fast real fast.   But he's definitely an outside guy.   

this guy is the best deep threat in years.  I don't get the hate for this guy.   And you obviously picked the BC game for a reason.  He's fast real fast.   But he's definitely an outside guy.   

Did you watch the video at all?.... The announcer said "If there is a knock on him, it's that he drops too much"

Did you watch the video at all?.... The announcer said "If there is a knock on him, it's that he drops too much"

Y'all act like he drops half the passes thrown his way.  That's clearly not true, or he wouldn't be a top 50 prospect.  Plus, his hands can be improved.

Archived