Defense considering personnel changes

On 11/1/2016 at 4:25 PM, Jamie_B said:

So my guess on this is Denard gets the promotion and Pacman starts in the Slot again since he's talking about guys that have been here a while not playing like they should be

That is scary considering every time Dennard steps on the field teams immediately start throwing with massive success at him. Although teams are having tons of success against Pacman too.

Or not: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/10/marvin-lewis-pulls-back-on-bengals-defensive-changes/

Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said during the team’s bye week that he will be looking for places where he feels younger players could be more effective than the ones who have been in prominent roles on the team so far this season.

Safety George Iloka agreed that changes should be part of the team’s attempt to improve their play in the second half of the season and broke out the old adage that only crazy people believe doing the same thing over and over will lead to a different result. Iloka probably wouldn’t tell coach Marvin Lewis that he thinks he’s crazy, but Lewis doesn’t sound like a man who believes that the time has come for big changes to the team’s defense.

“Paul shouldn’t have … you have to be careful doing that,” Lewis said on his weekly television show, via ESPN.com. “We’re going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you’ve got to earn opportunities. We’re not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth. Our good players are expected to play good and I think that’s part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense, but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better — that’s part of the responsibility as well.”

Given Lewis’ spot in the team’s hierarchy, Guenther does need to be careful about implementing changes since his boss doesn’t seem to be too into the idea. The results of the first half don’t make staying the course all that appealing, though, and that’s especially true if your future in the job is tied to how the unit performs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18010728/cincinnati-bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-downplays-defensive-coordinator-warning-lineup-changes

Marvin Lewis downplays defensive coordinator's warning about lineup changes

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther might be ready to make changes to his lineup, but it doesn't appear that coach Marvin Lewis feels the same way.

If he does, he's not ready to reveal that to the public yet.

Guenther said last week that he expected to give some of the younger defenders more playing time after his defense gave up more than 500 yards to the Washington Redskins prior to the bye.

"We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time," Guenther said. "But it's like I told them, it's a production business. Even though you've been that kind of guy that's been around here, if I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that."

But Lewis appeared to squash the notion of younger players replacing veterans in his weekly television show on Wednesday.

"I don't," Lewis told Bengals radio announcer Dan Hoard when asked if he anticipated younger players getting more snaps. "Paul shouldn't have ... you have to be careful doing that. We're going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you've got to earn opportunities. We're not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth.

"Our good players are expected to play good and I think that's part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense, but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better -- that's part of the responsibility as well."

Five of the Bengals' 11 listed starting defenders are 29 or older (Adam Jones and Karlos Dansby are 33 and 35, respectively). The unit has been struggling as of late, and while it's not surprising Lewis would want to keep any potential changes under wraps, it's unlikely the Bengals would stick with the same game plan that led them to a 3-4-1 start.

Marvmallow: "There it is, Paulie, don't let it hit you were the Good Lord split you on the way outth-5.jpeg

Image result for marvin lewis bengals clapping

Marvin: How many times do I have to tell you, Chunk?!? Clap your fuckin' hands and say you see improvement! Guys Like Domata and Karlos have sensitive feelings.

Image result for marvin lewis hits paul guenther

Paul: This ice cream is delicious. I like to change flavors. I thought the same thing might work with players.

Image result for marvin lewis bengals

Marvin: Bitch, are you deaf? I said clap your fuckin' hands and tell the media they don't understand the finer point of coaching!

Image result for chunk goonies

Paul: Like this?!?

Image result for marvin lewis

Marvin: No, you take your hand like this and slap it against the other one.

Image result for paul guenther

Paul: Like this?!?

Image result for marvin lewis

Marvin: This is why I slap you on the sidelines

Image result for paul guenther mike zimmer

Paul: We are not looking at changes to the defensive personnel.
Marvin: Word! 

I'm  trying to find the pic in the  Washington game day thread of Marvin Balboa shoving Apollo Gunther on the sidelines.  Talk about lack of respect and cohesion among the coaching staff.  No wonder the team is such a soft cluster fuck.  Not really supporting Gunther but when Marvmallow is so adverse to taking advice when he is clearly clueless... I think we have a problem.  And know what it is.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I'm  trying to find the pic in the  Washington game day thread of Marvin Balboa shoving Apollo Gunther on the sidelines.  Talk about lack of respect and cohesion among the coaching staff.  No wonder the team is such a soft cluster fuck.  Not really supporting Gunther but when Marvmallow is so adverse to taking advice when he is clearly clueless... I think we have a problem.  And know what it is.

Yep, that was a real WTF moment during the game for me.  Gunther was actually showing some much needed fire by getting after a ref's call.  Marvin on the other hand was doing his ceremonious head bobbing and f-ing hand clapping crap which is bad enough in itself.  Then Marvin holds Gunther back and scolds him like an over-protective parent would with a little kid.  WTF?!?!?!

Good God...is this Thelma and Louise with all the fucking drama over this? 

So if God-man Zimmer pushes a coach back..it's the cat's ass? 

Has anyone considered the new Joey Porter Rule as to coaches leaving their stations? Think that just MAYBE a part of this came into play during a heat of the moment/split second HC reaction? 

No..not enough drama. Smh.

"Our good players are expected to play good and I think that's part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense, but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better -- that's part of the responsibility as well."

So much extra bullshit in this passage of Marvin Lewis bullshit.

"Our good players are expected to play good"?!?

Problem number one. ALL of your fucking players should be "expected to play good."

Then, yada-yada-yada...holy shit, ding ding ding! You fucking better believe you need to coach better!

This man infuriates me. His stupidity/glibness is a combination that defies and boggles the mind.

Archived