Jump to content

2021 Opponents news thread


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:


Getting beat is getting beat.  What happens after doesn’t make it any better or any worse.  

 

 

Maybe not in terms of your QB needing to be the one to hold on the ball vs the Tackle getting beat, but you're smart enough to suggest that a sack vs a strip sack fumble is the same.

 

Also when did they move Sewell to the left side? I thought he was playing right?

 

He will be a good and likely very good Tackle in the NFL.

 

 

But Jamar Chase is good right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

Maybe not in terms of your QB needing to be the one to hold on the ball vs the Tackle getting beat, but you're smart enough to suggest that a sack vs a strip sack fumble is the same.

 

Also when did they move Sewell to the left side? I thought he was playing right?

 

He will be a good and likely very good Tackle in the NFL.

 

 

But Jamar Chase is good right now.


The point is you measure players/people on actions in the short term and results in the long term.  Sewell got beat…kind of.  He pushed his guy way back, but the QB had little awareness and didn’t step up.  
 

Sewell has been thrown in the deep end at probably the second hardest position in football.  He struggled with a guy that Jonah Williams struggled with.  Shocker.  
 

Chase is good. No one has ever argued he wouldn’t be.  With Higgins down they have needed him as well. Funny game where luck plays such a role.  If Williams or Reiff were down what would we say?  The die has been cast. The Bengals need their tackles to stay healthy so their skill players can feast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:


The point is you measure players/people on actions in the short term and results in the long term.  Sewell got beat…kind of.  He pushed his guy way back, but the QB had little awareness and didn’t step up.  
 

Sewell has been thrown in the deep end at probably the second hardest position in football.  He struggled with a guy that Jonah Williams struggled with.  Shocker.  
 

Chase is good. No one has ever argued he wouldn’t be.  With Higgins down they have needed him as well. Funny game where luck plays such a role.  If Williams or Reiff were down what would we say?  The die has been cast. The Bengals need their tackles to stay healthy so their skill players can feast. 

 

 

We would say the same thing we say when any team losing their starting tackles. But you don't draft based on the fear of what if.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

We would say the same thing we say when any team losing their starting tackles. But you don't draft based on the fear of what if.

 

 

 

So, you are saying you don't draft for depth?  That's nuts.  You absolutely do.  You could say Chase was drafted for depth.  The Bengals already had two really good WRs, and very little after that.  Now they have three and thank goodness they do. 

 

On the tackle situation, it's good that Prince has looked solid in limited action.  Let's hope we don't have to find out if he is ready. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

 

So, you are saying you don't draft for depth?  That's nuts.  You absolutely do.  You could say Chase was drafted for depth.  The Bengals already had two really good WRs, and very little after that.  Now they have three and thank goodness they do. 

 

On the tackle situation, it's good that Prince has looked solid in limited action.  Let's hope we don't have to find out if he is ready. 

 

Anyone got any salt? Earl here is twisting himself into a pretzel.

 

You don't draft for depth at #5 overall no.

 

And no you can't say Chase was drafted for depth when the Bengals play 3WR sets, that makes you a starter. He was drafted to replace AJ Green who left.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

 

Anyone got any salt? Earl here is twisting himself into a pretzel.

 

You don't draft for depth at #5 overall no.

 

And no you can't say Chase was drafted for depth when the Bengals play 3WR sets, that makes you a starter. He was drafted to replace AJ Green who left.

 

Good teams draft for depth at all times.  Yes, Chase was drafted to replace Green who sucked last year.  Still, you don't count on a rookie to do what Chase has done so far, at least good teams don't.  You would count on Chase to be the #3 target and go from there.  he has exceeded expectations, which is awesome, and he has been needed to with Higgins going down.  That is depth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UncleEarl said:

 

Good teams draft for depth at all times.  Yes, Chase was drafted to replace Green who sucked last year.  Still, you don't count on a rookie to do what Chase has done so far, at least good teams don't.  You would count on Chase to be the #3 target and go from there.  he has exceeded expectations, which is awesome, and he has been needed to with Higgins going down.  That is depth.

 

 

Good teams don't draft at #5 overall, by definition if you are drafting at #5 overall you were not a good team that year. And you never draft for depth at #5 overall, the #5 pick should be a starter. 

 

You are not depth when your main formation is a 3WR set. 

 

Keep digging.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

Good teams don't draft at #5 overall, by definition if you are drafting at #5 overall you were not a good team that year. And you never draft for depth at #5 overall, the #5 pick should be a starter. 

 

You are not depth when your main formation is a 3WR set. 

 

Keep digging.

 

Dude...what team has three WRs as talented as the Bengals?  That's depth.  You are blinded by your obsession with the Sewell/Chase argument that went on months ago.  Your, and others, need to be "right" is so bizarre. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ravens tie an NFL rushing record, but Broncos reportedly 'livid' with how they did it

Someone on the Baltimore Ravens' sideline was paying attention to the box score. And history.

The Ravens extended their streak of consecutive games with at least 100 rushing yards to 43 regular-season games on Sunday, tying the 1970s Pittsburgh Stealers for the longest such streak in NFL history. They picked up a 23-7 win over the Denver Broncos along the way.

 

For most of the second half, it looked like the Ravens weren't going to get there. By the end of a six-minute fourth-quarter drive that basically put the game away with a Justin Tucker field goal, the team had 97 rushing yards.

The Broncos received the ball and quickly marched downfield, reaching the red zone with 20 seconds left. The game was basically over at that point until Drew Lock threw an interception to cornerback Anthony Averett, giving the Ravens a shot at the record.

With the ball back in hand and three seconds left, the Ravens had Lamar Jacksonrun one more play rather than take a knee in victory formation. He picked up 5 yards and extra history.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;

Personally, I think this is a cheap drama, weak sauce Baltimore Starlings chicken shit move.

But that's just me.  

Carry on... :popcorn:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

 

Dude...what team has three WRs as talented as the Bengals?  That's depth.  You are blinded by your obsession with the Sewell/Chase argument that went on months ago.  Your, and others, need to be "right" is so bizarre. 

 

 

Depth is Trenton Irwin catching a 25 yard pass to keep a drive alive.  That you are suggesting the #5 overall pick is "depth" is the actual "desire to be right" going on here.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

 

Dude...what team has three WRs as talented as the Bengals?  That's depth.  You are blinded by your obsession with the Sewell/Chase argument that went on months ago.  Your, and others, need to be "right" is so bizarre. 

I think the Bengals have more than three wide receivers, (ie I'm agreeing with you).  I still think Tate is an underused possession weapon and that I was WRONG about my original assessment of Kyle Irwin.  Like to see him get some reps as a punt returner rather than Brandon Tate Phillips.

 

As far as the Sewell/Chase thing.  Some people are still beating the :fistpump:dead horse.  Two posters said something to me about my "not Marvin" stuff being old and I quit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, High School Harry said:

I think the Bengals have more than three wide receivers, (ie I'm agreeing with you).  I still think Tate is an underused possession weapon and that I was WRONG about my original assessment of Kyle Irwin.  Like to see him get some reps as a punt returner rather than Brandon Tate Phillips.

 

As far as the Sewell/Chase thing.  Some people are still beating the :fistpump:dead horse.  Two posters said something to me about my "not Marvin" stuff being old and I quit.

 

Fair point. I should stop playing that game.  It's ridiculous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...