Chargers at Bengals Game Thread - 2021 Season Game 12

I sold my home Friday and moving trucks here tomorrow - staying local(ish) to Balt City - just moving further north. Caught scattered pieces of the game. I put that loss on Jonah, Chase and Mixon. Just...make plays fellas. Those turnovers are killers and cost us 21 points really.

Sure- everyone shares the loss BUT - Johah beat on the strip sack where Burrow had Chase open deep on the crosser for a potential TD AND Burrow dislocates his pinky on the hit / Chase bobbling a 71-yard TD into an INT /Mixon fumbling the game away untouched when they are about to be in at least field goal range to take a lead in the 4th are the kinds of mistakes from key players that those players CANNOT make. 

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Sure- everyone shares the loss BUT - Johah beat on the strip sack where Burrow had Chase open deep on the crosser for a potential TD AND Burrow dislocates his pinky on the hit / Chase bobbling a 71-yard TD into an INT /Mixon fumbling the game away untouched when they are about to be in at least field goal range to take a lead in the 4th are the kinds of mistakes from key players that those players CANNOT make. 

I give Mixon a bit of a pass.  He’s not a fumbler, but it happens to everyone eventually.  Chase drops passes and Jonah gets beat a bit too much.  

Bottom line is Mixon’s error was a one-off.  Chase and Williams, not so much.  

21 minutes ago, spicoli said:

and Morgan, Prince and Hill as well. Each made key, costly mistakes. 

And of course, Burrow is always clear of criticism. Like that interception in the end zone wasn't Burrow's fault. I think he's close to leading the league in interceptions, but it's always somebody else's fault. We should've drafted Herbert. He is obviously the better QB.

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

And of course, Burrow is always clear of criticism. Like that interception in the end zone wasn't Burrow's fault. I think he's close to leading the league in interceptions, but it's always somebody else's fault. We should've drafted Herbert. He is obviously the better QB.

41 minutes ago, membengal said:

21 minutes ago, Hooky said:

By then - game was lost. It wasn’t great but they were in pure desperation mode. And I completely disagree with any take that we should have taken Herbert. Gtfo with that noise.

i am not mad at Mixon - shit happens - but that play pretty directly killed the comeback.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I sold my home Friday and moving trucks here tomorrow - staying local(ish) to Balt City - just moving further north. Caught scattered pieces of the game. I put that loss on Jonah, Chase and Mixon. Just...make plays fellas. Those turnovers are killers and cost us 21 points really.

Son and I had dinner at Morton's after the game.

Ironically, both Jonah and Ja'Marr were there.

Jonah and family came in right after we were seated, just saw him come in.

Posted elsewhere that Ja'Marr came in with an older gentleman, white hair and beard which

we assumed was his father.

Both head down, not looking up... really dejected and depressed.

What got me was walking right by Ja'Marr passing inches apart (no, did not say anything)

is how young he is.  And how without the pads, etc he is no taller than son and I and normalish

build but I'm sure a lot more muscle packed under the street clothes.

I honestly can't get the look on his face out of my mind. 

Don't know him (of course) and probably never will but

I have become even more a fan now that he is down and

proven to be human and fallible.

I want to see him light up the field these final few games

and win Offensive Rookie of the Year and Super Bowl MVP

all the more.

29 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Lol sure thing, buddy 👍

BENGALS GAME HIGHLIGHT

(you had to be there)

This season the Bengals are running a series of scoreboard prompts to get loud and cheer starring... Chadwick "Ocho Cinco" Johnson.  And yesterday Willie Anderson, too.

Anyway, yesterday a clip came on the scoreboard featuring Dr Ocho in a white doctor coat with a stethoscope around his neck.  To encourage cheering, Dr Ocho presented three pictures.

The first was a big plate of Skyline/Gold Star chili.  Amusing, moderate response.

The second showed the score of the last Pittsburgh game.  Nice cheer for that one.

The third said "Bearcats 13-0" and the crowd went wild.

Fantastic and class act that the Bengals acknowledged and congratulated the home town college team's success.

Thank you, Dr Ocho.

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Apple is playing high grade defense right now..

Pls show Hilton and Bates pff grades in coverage...or overall...

Yesterday Bates gave up 5 completions on 5 targets for 86yrs..

Hilton allowed 5 of 7 for 81..

Herbert was 10-12 for 170plus yrds against these two..

Thats 14yrds PPA..

Bates had a 158 3 coverage grade when  targeted..and Hilton was 150..

Bates overall PFF has declined to 49...

He's is a liability at safety now...

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Apple is playing high grade defense right now..

Pls show Hilton and Bates pff grades in coverage...or overall...

Yesterday Bates gave up 5 completions on 5 targets for 86yrs..

Hilton allowed 5 of 7 for 81..

Herbert was 10-12 for 170plus yrds against these two..

Thats 14yrds PPA..

Bates had a 158 3 coverage grade when  targeted..and Hilton was 150..

Bates overall PFF has declined to 49...

Yes but what about what the group thinks consensus says? 

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Well according to some he has a built in excuse due to the Bengals not extending him. I’m sure once he’s given that huge contract he’ll instantly become all-pro caliber again. That’s usually how it works, right? 

26 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Well according to some he has a built in excuse due to the Bengals not extending him. I’m sure once he’s given that huge contract he’ll instantly become all-pro caliber again. That’s usually how it works, right? 

You say “according to some”, but it was Jesse Bates himself that alluded to that possibly having affected his play.  

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Its an excuse...😎

What type longterm contract would give him now?

Im having doubts about the franchise tag on him..

37 minutes ago, Cricket said:

You say “according to some”, but it was Jesse Bates himself that alluded to that possibly having affected his play.  

I am one of those “some” that questioned if his contract status was effecting his play.  At the end of the day it doesn’t matter the reason his play has slipped.  He needs to be better and it will end up hurting him in the wallet.  

20 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He needs to be better and it will end up hurting him in the wallet.

Exactly right. Thus, my contention that contract negotiations should never be used as an excuse for poor play. As a pro YOU ARE ALWAYS PLAYING FOR YOUR NEXT CONTRACT regardless of circumstances. End of story. Suck it up, stop with the excuses and go out and play the way you know you should.

30 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I am one of those “some” that questioned if his contract status was effecting his play.  At the end of the day it doesn’t matter the reason his play has slipped.  He needs to be better and it will end up hurting him in the wallet.  

Question Earl..

If the season ended today what would you offer Bates?

90.pff in 20..

49 pff so far..

17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Exactly right. Thus, my contention that contract negotiations should never be used as an excuse for poor play. As a pro YOU ARE ALWAYS PLAYING FOR YOUR NEXT CONTRACT regardless of circumstances. End of story. Suck it up, stop with the excuses and go out and play the way you know you should.

Sounds great, but a lot of young guys don’t think that way.  

Another thing to consider is that Bates could be nursing som injuries that have limited his play.  I know…another excuse, but that shit happens.  

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Question Earl..

If the season ended today what would you offer Bates?

90.pff in 20..

49 pff so far..

No clue what he wants and I’m sure the Bengals and other NFL teams have their own metrics that may or may not agree with PFF.  

Probably the best for both parties next year would be to tag him.   His play probably isn’t going to get him the number he wants and the Bengals may be hesitant to sign him long term.  

Archived