The Lou Anarumo appreciation thread

I'm not impressed. Sorry. That defense should have looked dominant vs a depleted Ravens offense and Josh Johnson had an awfully good day. Lou's defense also was embarrassingly bad vs the inept NY Jets and the Browns game was pretty putrid too. I'm confident Joe Burrow and this offense can score on anyone but not this defense. Lou has a chance to prove me wrong this weekend. Can he slow down the Chiefs? We'll see. I have my doubts

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

I'm not impressed. Sorry. That defense should have looked dominant vs a depleted Ravens offense and Josh Johnson had an awfully good day. Lou's defense also was embarrassingly bad vs the inept NY Jets and the Browns game was pretty putrid too. I'm confident Joe Burrow and this offense can score on anyone but not this defense. Lou has a chance to prove me wrong this weekend. Can he slow down the Chiefs? We'll see. I have my doubts

Either way you slice it... We're top half of the league. By DVOA, Lou does it better than 27 other guys in the NFL. If you're not convinced with two games left in the season, then I doubt you ever will be.

Kinda the point of this thread is that despite some bad games or series we could all point to, it's time to appreciate that the defense has been damn good by any metric, and we should stop bitching about one bad series or even one bad game. The "averages" are in. And on average, this is a damn good defense. Considering he did it with other teams scraps... Zero pro-bowlers. We may not be the '01 Ravens, but Joe Batchi isn't exactly Ray Lewis either. Props to Lou.

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Either way you slice it... We're top half of the league. By DVOA, Lou does it better than 27 other guys in the NFL. If you're not convinced with two games left in the season, then I doubt you ever will be.

Kinda the point of this thread is that despite some bad games or series we could all point to, it's time to appreciate that the defense has been damn good by any metric, and we should stop bitching about one bad series or even one bad game. The "averages" are in. And on average, this is a damn good defense. Considering he did it with other teams scraps... Zero pro-bowlers. We may not be the '01 Ravens, but Joe Batchi isn't exactly Ray Lewis either. Props to Lou.

Hendrickson 

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

My bad, I thought he was an alternate. So... One pro-bowler. 

No worries, your overall point remains. 

I mean Eli Apple had been a bust on how many teams? He gets here and after a slow start is proving to be what the Giants drafted him to be. Good on Lou for that alone.

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

Josh Johnson had an awfully good day

If you're playing the Ravens last Sunday... Isn't your game plan to stop the run at all cost and make Josh Johnson beat you? I mean, you could drop 8 into coverage all day and say "Hah, we've taken away the weakest part of their attack! Now they'll have to run the ball!" They are the #5 rushing team in the league AFTER last Sunday. They average 137.7 yards on the ground. They had 39 yards last weekend. (Coming into the game they were the #3 ranked rushing offense with 147.1 yards per game)

Josh Johnson had a good day. Or... The #3 rushing attack got less than 40 yards on 16 attempts.

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If you're playing the Ravens last Sunday... Isn't your game plan to stop the run at all cost and make Josh Johnson beat you? I mean, you could drop 8 into coverage all day and say "Hah, we've taken away the weakest part of their attack! Now they'll have to run the ball!" They are the #5 rushing team in the league AFTER last Sunday. They average 137.7 yards on the ground. They had 39 yards last weekend. (Coming into the game they were the #3 ranked rushing offense with 147.1 yards per game)

Josh Johnson had a good day. Or... The #3 rushing attack got less than 40 yards on 16 attempts.

Good point. Obviously Burrow can out throw Johnson, so let him throw. Stop the run. The only guy catching the ball was the big dude anyway. They might get a few points that way, but they're not gonna win. It was a solid plan that obviously worked.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

How do you know that? 

OK, let's rephrase: He will not out-gun the KC God-man. 

He may throw the ball 46 times again, but this week it may be simply to attempt keeping up. 

That is, unless Appreciated Lou and his cohorts can slow the Divine Mister M. 

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Johnson moved the ball all too easily yesterday. Burrow had a career day yet the game was still in doubt in the 4th qtr. That's not good. My guess is that Lou's D will be embarrassed this weekend

1 minute ago, Sea Ray said:

Johnson moved the ball all too easily yesterday. Burrow had a career day yet the game was still in doubt in the 4th qtr. That's not good. My guess is that Lou's D will be embarrassed this weekend

Johnson has been a QB in the NFL for 14 years, I’m pretty sure he knows where to go with the ball at this point….especially when playing a defense going all out to stop the run. It’s almost like you’re dying to blame Lou for a loss that didn’t happen.  

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Johnson has been a QB in the NFL for 14 years, I’m pretty sure he knows where to go with the ball at this point….especially when playing a defense going all out to stop the run. It’s almost like you’re dying to blame Lou for a loss that didn’t happen.  

I'm not blaming anyone but I am pumping the brakes on his praises. 

The last time I was ready to sing his praises his defense gave us the NY Jets game

I heard Bob Dylan at his age today sounds horrible in concert. I don't think he ever sounded that good. He's a legendary writer but I generally prefer someone else sing his songs

As for DVOA, it sounds kinda like the WAR stat in baseball; one that people praise but in the end no one really knows the formula. In this case I hope it's accurate and predicative for our Bengals moving forward this year

38 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I heard Bob Dylan at his age today sounds horrible in concert. I don't think he ever sounded that good. He's a legendary writer but I generally prefer someone else sing his songs

As for DVOA, it sounds kinda like the WAR stat in baseball; one that people praise but in the end no one really knows the formula. In this case I hope it's accurate and predicative for our Bengals moving forward this year

Dylan in his prime out together some pretty amazing backing bands, so I suppose it was timing.  He never could sing very well, but then again neither can Willie.   Both are legends and damned good. 

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Dylan in his prime out together some pretty amazing backing bands, so I suppose it was timing.  He never could sing very well, but then again neither can Willie.   Both are legends and damned good. 

Bobby Zimmerman was a poet that put cords to his poems..

I dont think there was ever an artist who

could match his abilty to do that..

Maybe John Lennon to a point..

His songs still have that effect to this day..

And what this has yo do with Annarumo thread I have no idea..😊

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

How do you know he will?   

Two can play that game. 

I don’t know that he will and I didn’t say that I did.

LT stated however that JB would NOT outgun Mahomes in this game. I’m simply saying…why not?  Why won’t he?

29 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don’t know that he will and I didn’t say that I did.

LT stated however that JB would NOT outgun Mahomes in this game. I’m simply saying…why not?  Why can’t he?

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

He isn’t going to out-throw the KC God-man. 

Lou is going to be calling the game of his career Sunday to have a chance (no pressure, Lou).

LT Ive agreed with damn near every 

comment youve posted..

But...

Let me say that Mahomes is a rare creature at QB..

Anything you want from a QB he has it..ok..

Let me also add that Mahomes has allways had a very good oline in front of him which JB has not..

I remember the playoff game whhen his 2 best linemen were out and he looked mediocre no?

Love to see JB with a line such as Mahomes has had..

Then you'd realize that who what your saying is ...simply not true

Archived