Nashville Oiltans Week

29 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Bengals Jeopardy

High School Harry:  "I'd like 'What Do They Have In Common" for the win, Alex.

Alex: "The earth is flat" "The moon is made of green cheese" and "Joe Mixon has a concussion"

High School Harry: "What are three things that are complete bullshit"?

Alex: "That is correct!"

There it is

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I realize that Collins hasn’t been great, but he did pretty well against Watt last week.  Williams did well against Highsmith, too. 

Seeing people the second time around—much like hitters in baseball—means a lot also. Film can only show so much as to an opponents’ moves/tendencies/etc. Nothing like going up against them live. 

Collins is a good pro—he can be more than adequate in both facets of play. Give him the rest of this year for continued acclimation and then a full off season of back rehab. I’m going to bet he looks worlds difference in 2023.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I realize that Collins hasn’t been great, but he did pretty well against Watt last week.  Williams did well against Highsmith, too. 

Completely agree, I just wish it was consistent so we wouldn't be talking about drafting a tackle, as I think we need another CB. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

There it is

Yes, there it is.

Pre "concussion", 7 carries for 20 yards, 2.9 average, longest 7 yards.

And well rested coming off a bye.

Plus a pass rush of Watt, Highsmith and Hayward.

And he is a complete liability as a blocker endangering Joe's health and well being.

Not too concussed to dance after the game in the locker room.

Year stats 605 yards, Average 60.5 yards per game,  counting one good game.

Minus the 153 yards vs Carolina that's 452 yards total in 8 games. 56.5 yards per game average. Pathetic.

Sorry, but I do NOT believe he had/has a concussion.

Discreet, respectful way of benching him to keep Burrow from getting

killed if nothing else.  Give Joe B some more time for Ja'Marr, Tee, Boyd, et al to get open deeper.

When did this concussion happen? How?  No replays that I saw.

Did not know he was under protocol until the announcers said something.

Mixon has now become the albatross around the Bengals necks 

And I respectfully agree to disagree with anyone who disagrees with me.

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

Yes, there it is.

Pre "concussion", 7 carries for 20 yards, 2.9 average, longest 7 yards.

And well rested coming off a bye.

Plus a pass rush of Watt, Highsmith and Hayward.

And he is a complete liability as a blocker endangering Joe's health and well being.

Not too concussed to dance after the game in the locker room.

Year stats 605 yards, Average 60.5 yards per game,  counting one good game.

Minus the 153 yards vs Carolina that's 452 yards total in 8 games. 56.5 yards per game average. Pathetic.

Sorry, but I do NOT believe he had/has a concussion.

Discreet, respectful way of benching him to keep Burrow from getting

killed if nothing else.  Give Joe B some more time for Ja'Marr, Tee, Boyd, et al to get open deeper.

When did this concussion happen? How?  No replays that I saw.

Did not know he was under protocol until the announcers said something.

Mixon has now become the albatross around the Bengals necks 

And I respectfully agree to disagree with anyone who disagrees with me.

Tin-foil GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Tin-foil GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

RK
NAME

with one 153 yard game affecting the ranking... 453 in eight games without it.

Concussion is a bull shit smoke screen, Jamie.

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:
RK
NAME

with one 153 yard game affecting the ranking... 453 in eight games without it.

Concussion is a bull shit smoke screen, Jamie.

When Mixon returns next week I'll be sure to remind you it's not.

Just now, High School Harry said:

When he returns next week it won't prove a thing as to whether or not he has a concussion now.

Do you think he will be back next year?

Google concussion recovery time (hint: average is 9 days), so yes it will.

I do.

PFF's Oline Run Blocking Rakings (per player, they don't do unit)

Collins is 19the

Cappea is 22nd

Karas is 15th

Volosn is 63rd

Williams is 69th

There is a reason we can't run the ball to the right side of the line, and it's NOT Mixon

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/11/26/23479265/kwamie-lassiter-drue-chrisman-bengals-gameday-roster-titans

Kwamie Lassiter and Drue Chrisman elevated to Bengals’ gameday roster vs. Titans

Lassiter appears poised to make his NFL regular-season debut.

The Cincinnati Bengals have elevated punter Drue Chrisman and wide receiver Kwamie Lassiter II from the practice squad to the active roster for Sunday’s game vs. the Tennessee Titans, the team announced Saturday.

Chrisman and Lassiter are both classified as standard elevations. As practice squad players being elevated to the active roster, they’ll automatically revert to the practice squad on Monday.

Following a solid regular-season debut last week, Chrisman figures to be Cincinnati’s primary punter again this week. With another good performance, Chrisman could be signed to the 53-man roster in the coming weeks and be named the primary punter indefinitely.

As for Lassiter, this is the rookie’s first call-up this season after a solid preseason had him in contention to make the Week 1 53-man roster. Look for him to be active Sunday with fellow wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase expected to be out due to his hip injury, despite returning to practice this week.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Google concussion recovery time (hint: average is 9 days), so yes it will.

I do.

PFF's Oline Run Blocking Rakings (per player, they don't do unit)

Collins is 19the

Cappea is 22nd

Karas is 15th

Volosn is 63rd

Williams is 69th

There is a reason we can't run the ball to the right side of the line, and it's NOT Mixon

I don't get the Mixon hate either but still don't see giving him a $5M raise next year when his backup just had a 3 TD game.  I don't think Perine is an All-Pro talent either but it's bad business. That's money better spent elsewhere when a good RB can be had for a midrounds draft pick.  

Simply put I think we're overinvested in the position with more important players on the last year or two of their contracts.

ps: LOL at PFF ratings once again.  If Karras is 15th there's no way Collins is 19th.  Unless their ratings are on a huge curve built around the Bengals specifically, which.. OK, I can't rule it out.  Would actually explain some of their fuzzy math.  Highly suspect when Bengals are within 4-5 spots of each other out of 160 starters.  There are only 3 OL better at run blocking than Collins but worse than Karras? PFF are homers.  Can't knock their hustle but.. 

:bitch_please-min:

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't get the Mixon hate either but still don't see giving him a $5M raise next year when his backup just had a 3 TD game.  I don't think Perine is an All-Pro talent either but it's bad business. That's money better spent elsewhere when a good RB can be had for a midrounds draft pick.  

Simply put I think we're overinvested in the position with more important players on the last year or two of their contracts.

ps: LOL at PFF ratings once again.  If Karras is 15th there's no way Collins is 19th.  Unless their ratings are on a huge curve built around the Bengals specifically, which.. OK, I can't rule it out.  Would actually explain some of their fuzzy math.  Highly suspect when Bengals are within 4-5 spots of each other out of 160 starters.  There are only 3 OL better at run blocking than Collins but worse than Karras? PFF are homers.  Can't knock their hustle but.. 

The argument that we have over invested in the position has been there since we signed Mixon to his 2nd contract, even when he has had better years.

The PFF Rankings are run blocking only and a ranking for that position.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I don't HATE anyone or even dislike Mixon.

He simply is not getting it done more often than not and

his blocking with Joe Burrow in the backfield is scary.

As good or better can be had cheaper in the draft and

his salary could be used much better on other players.

My no concession belief is it was a way to bench him without embarrassment.

Perine, t Williams and Chris Evans are not the answer, either, but at least

Perine is the better backfield blocker and Joe Burrow is a generational player.

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Probably just as well.

Don't want him coming back too early and getting busted up all the more.

His return home vs the Chiefs will be HUGE.

Can't wait to see him, and the crowd, when he comes running out of the locker room for the opening intros.

I’ve been thinking about this whole situation. I know we are better with Chase out there, but not having him for a few games may be good for Burrow’s development in the long run. He’s forced to look for an alternative or check down so not having Chase allows him to develop or improve other parts of his game. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The argument that we have over invested in the position has been there since we signed Mixon to his 2nd contract, even when he has had better years.

The PFF Rankings are run blocking only and a ranking for that position.

There should be more separation between our players, they must be using them as some kind of benchmark.  

I accept that the right side of the OL is better but PFF numbers are still junk science

3 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I’ve been thinking about this whole situation. I know we are better with Chase out there, but not having him for a few games may be good for Burrow’s development in the long run. He’s forced to look for an alternative or check down so not having Chase allows him to develop or improve other parts of his game. 

Gave the other WR's a chance to step up.   Can't say I've seen JB force many throws but it's definitely good for the team to know they can win without Ja'Marr.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/11/26/tennessee-titans-injury-report-vs-cincinnati-denico-autry-jeffery-simmons-kristian-fulton-bullock/69678459007/

Tennessee Titans injury report includes Denico Autry, Jeffery Simmons, Kristian Fulton

1398196766000-dclark.jpg?width=48&heightDave Clark Cincinnati Enquirer

The Tennesse Titans' injury report ahead of their Week 12 showdown with the Cincinnati Bengals in Nashville includes several defensive starters, as well as former Bengals kicker Randy Bullock.

Starting defensive end Denico Autry (knee) is expected to be out. Bullock (calf), who kicked for the Bengals from 2016 to 2020, was downgraded from questionable to out for Sunday's game.

Bullock was inactive in Week 11. The Titans waived Week 11 kicker Josh Lambo on Monday, and Caleb Shudak (leg) was activated from the PUP list before Saturday's deadline for roster moves.

Starting cornerback Kristian Fulton (hamstring) is listed as questionable and was limited in practice Thursday and Friday.

Starting defensive end Jeffery Simmons (ankle) has been limited in practice all week.

On Friday, the Bengals ruled out running back Joe Mixon, and listed receiver Ja'Marr Chase as questionable.

In May, Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill acknowledged that his team's AFC Divisional Playoff loss to the Bengals in January left "a deep scar" and resulted in "a lot of sleepless nights."

What the Cincinnati Bengals need to do vs. the Tennessee Titans to win in NFL Week 12

595d6a85-90cd-487e-95b0-eba8f5cd20f4-KelKelsey Conway:wub: Cincinnati Enquirer

Here’s how the Bengals beat the Titans on Sunday:

Don’t let Tennessee’s defensive line with Jeffery Simmons wreck the game

What made the Bengals’ last win over the Titans so remarkable is that it came despite quarterback Joe Burrow getting sacked nine times. Defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons has played as the best defensive tackle this season with six sacks on the year. Against the Bengals in the divisional round game, Simmons sacked Burrow three times.

The hope is with the improved offensive line, Cincinnati will hold up better in protection in this game. Tennessee ranks No. 10 in sacks with 30 on the year. Burrow has been sacked 32 times this year with 13 of those coming in the first two weeks of the season. Since Week 2, the Bengals are averaging 2.3 sacks per game.

Burrow is pleased with the performance of his offensive line and believes Cincinnati’s interior is playing as good as any group in the NFL. If the Bengals can protect Burrow and the Bengals get a lead early, this game is certainly winnable for Cincinnati.

The Titans want to control the time of possession with Derrick Henry running the ball. Burrow acknowledged when facing a team like Tennessee with Henry, it’s especially important to be productive every time the offense gets the ball.

“It just puts more urgency in you,” Burrow said. “You know you gotta make the most of every possession that you get.”

Simmons limited in practice for what that's worth...

Contain Tennessee Titans RB Derrick Henry as much as possible

The Titans’ offense runs through their All-Pro running back and he’s healthy this time around. When the Bengals beat Tennessee last January, Henry was coming off a foot injury that kept him out for several games. Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo acknowledged that this week when talking about the challenges he poses.

Once again, Henry has rushed for more than 1,000 yards. He has 1,010 on the year and 10 rushing touchdowns.

When asked what makes Henry such a challenge, linebacker Logan Wilson said it's his combination of size and physicality.

“I think he's probably the biggest and he's just a tough runner,” Wilson said. “He's good side-to-side and there's really nothing he can't do as a runner. Then his size is what sets him apart from most backs in this league. He's just hard to bring down. You have to bring more than one hat to the ball at all times."

When facing a player like Henry, it’s hard to completely shut him down. The Bengals will focus on trying to contain him and limit his production as much as possible. Tennessee is averaging 128.9 yards per game on the ground. Cincinnati ranks No. 18 in the NFL against the run, giving up 117.7 yards per game.

Execute in situational football

As mentioned earlier, the Titans are going to try and control the clock and dictate terms. That’s their style of play.

The Bengals are very familiar with what Tennessee wants to do and how they’ll try and attack Cincinnati. If the Bengals take advantage of their opportunities in situational football opportunities, it will help them leave Nashville with a win.

That means if they get a chance to end the half with the ball with four or two minutes on the clock, execute their four and two-minute offenses. Same goes for if they win the toss and elect to defer to the second half. If they get the ball coming out of the half, take advantage of the opportunity.

The more Henry is on the sideline, the better for the Bengals.

Same goes for the red zone operation on both sides of the ball. The Titans are among the league’s best in the red zone and the Bengals have been a lot better this year in that area.

Whoever executes best in these situations will likely win the game as I expect it to be a close game that could go down to the wire, just like the last meeting.

Archived