2023 NFL Draft thread

I would be happy with Mayer or Darnell at 28 (sadly neither will last until we pick in Rd 2). I think they both offer the Bengals a missing component that will put the offense over the edge. 

To me Mayer is a more traditional reliable security blanket, while Darnell is a freak with the potential to really transform the Bengals red zone offense. 

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Im completely baffled by this. Who is drafting a blocking te in round 1 with 3 career tds?

Because maybe they think he can be way more than that? Just because Georgia didn't use him in the TE1 slot (because they have a star there already) in a loaded offense doesn't mean Washington cannot do it as well. My takeaway from yesterday was that the physical gifts are absolutely special and THEN he showed fantastic hands on that one-handed snag to go with short area burst and genuine speed that is unreal for such a large man. AND he can legit be an asset in the blocking game.

I went from completely uninterested in him at 28 to now absolutely willing to consider it. 

Georgia has another star TE that they used in more the TE1 role - and relegated Washington to the TE2 in 12 personnel. The question is, is that ALL Washington can be? I am betting it is not - not based on what we saw yesterday (including that one-handed catch). The short area explosiveness and the top end speed. Did Georgia not use him to his fullest because he couldn't do it if asked? I don't think that's it.

All that said, a longer discussion to be had as we get closer to the draft is whether it makes any sense to take any of the TEs projected to be available at 28 when the position looks as deep with real athletic talent as it has in as long as i can remember. Could still get a TE in round 4 or 5 that has more athletic upside than first and second rounders in many other years - and, if so, better to get a falling CB or OT or Edge or IDL maybe, than TE.  Dunno. 

On 3/4/2023 at 9:24 AM, membengal said:

Wild that Hurst was (slightly) faster than Eifert. Said it before but I really think that guy could be a much larger part of the offense next year. Lots of potential there.

Washington is starting to remind me of Vernon Davis. 

Archived