Orlando Brown!

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Who do you think on the roster that could play LT was better?

That's hard to answer based on the limited opportunities that were given to other players, but I would Jackson Carmen looked capable when he got a shot at it last year in the postseason. He wasn't constantly getting run over or through like Jonah was all year. There's a reason why the first signing the Bengals made was an LT, it was a huge need and I'm sure Burrow was on board with upgrading that position as his life is literally on the line. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

That's hard to answer based on the limited opportunities that were given to other players, but I would Jackson Carmen looked capable when he got a shot at it last year in the postseason. He wasn't constantly getting run over or through like Jonah was all year. There's a reason why the first signing the Bengals made was an LT, it was a huge need and I'm sure Burrow was on board with upgrading that position as his life is literally on the line. 

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about them going after Brown, I'm shocked by it based on them paying WIlliams his 5th year and the Bengals not liking to pay guys and then replace them, but I'm not convinced there was a guy already on the roster better, and as much as Carman looked good in 2 games, he looked pretty awful before it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Hmm?

So they are going to give up on Volson at LG (who was starting to play much better towards the end of the season), in order to play Jonah at LG, which requires more strength than playing tackle, and pulling to set up trap blocks?

I hope not.

Williams can't handle bull rushers.

DTs and NTs would abuse him.

What other options do they have? He has to play somewhere, they aren't going to pay him 12 million to sit on the bench and he has no trade value. It's either that or RT and I don't know if he would be far better at RT or LG. Coming out of college a lot of scouts said Jonah would be a better OG than OT in the NFL, so why not give it a shot? If he can't handle a bull rush then he wouldn't fare well at RT, imo.  At least at LG, he could get some help from the center or LT.

As for Volson, he struggled quite a bit as well and we need to figure this out now while we still have Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd under contract. This can and should be the best passing offense in the NFL, and it would be if only the line could get their shit together. Volson's development is not the most important thing and having some competition will only help him. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about them going after Brown, I'm shocked by it based on them paying WIlliams his 5th year and the Bengals not liking to pay guys and then replace them, but I'm not convinced there was a guy already on the roster better, and as much as Carman looked good in 2 games, he looked pretty awful before it.

Carman did look bad at RG but they never played him at LT, which is what he played in college and high school, because Williams was entrenched as the starter. He look capable and I would rather him be the backup than Williams. 

Based on Williams salary and dead cap hit, he as to play somewhere and LG is the only option I could see working out for him. 

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

Carman did look bad at RG but they never played him at LT, which is what he played in college and high school, because Williams was entrenched as the starter. He look capable and I would rather him be the backup than Williams. 

Based on Williams salary and dead cap hit, he as to play somewhere and LG is the only option I could see working out for him. 

I think Carman as a swing tackle will be an upgrade over Prince or Johnson for sure

If Williams stays I think I put him at LG as well. Hard to say what will happen, Bengals typically like honoring trade requests but don't like throwing away money. 

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I think Carman as a swing tackle will be an upgrade over Prince or Johnson for sure

If Williams stays I think I put him at LG as well. Hard to say what will happen, Bengals typically like honoring trade requests but don't like throwing away money. 

If they could unload Williams there's more money for a safety and RB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Yes indeed. That's why it'll be tough to trade him. Who'll pay $12 mill for him to play on their O line?

I would think anyone who trades for him assumes his guarantee and then that team would probably want to also re-do his contract. And perhaps re-do the contract prior to the trade via agreement that is).

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would think anyone who trades for him assumes his guarantee and then that team would probably want to also re-do his contract. And perhaps re-do the contract prior to the trade via agreement that is).

Jonah's not going to give up money he's already guaranteed so the only way he'd agree to re-do the contract is if they add years and more money. Another team would really have to fall in love with him to do that. I don't see that happening

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Jonah's not going to give up money he's already guaranteed so the only way he'd agree to re-do the contract is if they add years and more money. Another team would really have to fall in love with him to do that. I don't see that happening

Well, Orlando essentially took less money to play LT, Williams may do the same. I think though, the salary is guaranteed but not like a bonus up front so any team that trades for him would assume the guaranteed salary. Or via some agreement we pay a portion or perhaps mixed in with some conditional picks. 

Or maybe he should just STFU, play RT and actually play better. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Or maybe he should just STFU, play RT and actually play better. 

Or maybe getting out in front of a situation where he is looking out for what will be the best for both he and the team. They did, after all, just sell off his slot to someone else. 

Yeah, just shut up. If I had a dime for every NHL or MLB player who had asked for a trade, I would already be retired to the Caymans 

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Or maybe getting out in front of a situation where he is looking out for what will be the best for both he and the team. They did, after all, just sell off his slot to someone else. 

Yeah, just shut up. If I had a dime for every NHL or MLB player who had asked for a trade, I would already be retired to the Caymans 

They sold off his position to a far better player, so suck it up and play another spot. Or quietly request a trade. He and his agent should know at this point no team would pay him more than $12M per year, the guy needs to prove he is dependable and durable. He is far closer to a backup LT than a starting one at this point. 

• Upvote 2

Jonah has some trade value. His 12.604 million 5th year option salary is guaranteed but it can be restructured easily enough. The Bengals should give his agent permission to seek out a trade partner (so other teams aren't tampering). Set the price in trade. I'd ask for something like late 3rd to mid 4th round value as a team would be trading to make him their starting LT. A team acquiring him might want an extension to lower the cap hit in 2023 so give the agent permission to discuss a new contract with the acquiring team. Give them a fixed period of time to do this, say until the end of March. The Bengals could pick up some of his salary if the draft pick is on the higher side.

If there is any interest in Jonah, it should materialize. If nobody wants him, there's his answer. For the Bengals, it's mainly a salary dump and the pick is secondary. If some team is willing to take his whole salary but only offering a 6th rounder, you do the deal. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Jonah has some trade value. His 12.604 million 5th year option salary is guaranteed but it can be restructured easily enough. The Bengals should give his agent permission to seek out a trade partner (so other teams aren't tampering). Set the price in trade. I'd ask for something like late 3rd to mid 4th round value as a team would be trading to make him their starting LT. A team acquiring him might want an extension to lower the cap hit in 2023 so give the agent permission to discuss a new contract with the acquiring team. Give them a fixed period of time to do this, say until the end of March. The Bengals could pick up some of his salary if the draft pick is on the higher side.

If there is any interest in Jonah, it should materialize. If nobody wants him, there's his answer. For the Bengals, it's mainly a salary dump and the pick is secondary. If some team is willing to take his whole salary but only offering a 6th rounder, you do the deal. 

the Cheifs need a LT...see him they want him. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They sold off his position to a far better player, so suck it up and play another spot. Or quietly request a trade. He and his agent should know at this point no team would pay him more than $12M per year, the guy needs to prove he is dependable and durable. He is far closer to a backup LT than a starting one at this point. 

Tell Logan Stanley to "suck it up", if you are going along that route. 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/snapshots-jets-logan-stanley-requests-trade-report

Non sequitur for non sequitur. 

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

Tell Logan Stanley to "suck it up", if you are going along that route. 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/snapshots-jets-logan-stanley-requests-trade-report

Non sequitur for non sequitur. 

I already have. Stanley cant even make our squad on a regular basis (and we have some weak defenceman) but he wants a trade. The request was a joke here in Winnipeg. Shut up, play better and good things will result. Whine and sulk and nothing good comnes from it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I already have. Stanley cant even make our squad on a regular basis (and we have some weak defenceman) but he wants a trade. The request was a joke here in Winnipeg. Shut up, play better and good things will result. Whine and sulk and nothing good comnes from it

Noted. 

(BTW, I really like the Jets' retro alternate sweater. Those old-time WHA looks always catch the eye) 

Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame: Thomas Steen

• Upvote 1