Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

4 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ If Jonah shows out at RT the Bengals will try to give him a new contract next off-season. 

The trick is he needs to be good enough to keep around, but not too good where he's then too expensive. 

The OL play is shit in the NFL nowadays. If he can just grade out at a little above average, he’ll command big $$. 

19 hours ago, dex said:

Makes sense. We need a more experienced option behind Karras then Hill or Brown.

18 hours ago, dex said:

I was hoping for more from Carman. He worked on his body, hoped he'd been working on his technique and could push Williams and Collins. Sounds like he'll be the swing tackle backing up both sides. 

17 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ If Jonah shows out at RT the Bengals will try to give him a new contract next off-season. 

The trick is he needs to be good enough to keep around, but not too good where he's then too expensive. 

Nah, the team can't afford a 12 mil or more RT. We should use that money for Reader and draft a RT. Should have picked Dawand Jones, he played every snap for the Clowns on Thursday without allowing a pressure. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Nah, the team can't afford a 12 mil or more RT. We should use that money for Reader and draft a RT. Should have picked Dawand Jones, he played every snap for the Clowns on Thursday without allowing a pressure. 

They MAY extend Reader, they won't give him a big deal though. His age is a problem. Luckily for us from what I have read it's supposed to be a big draft for DTs this year.

(of course they have to take one since it was a big TE draft and they didn't take one this year)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I was hoping for more from Carman. He worked on his body, hoped he'd been working on his technique and could push Williams and Collins. Sounds like he'll be the swing tackle backing up both sides. 

Same, I thought those couple of decent turns at LT were the start of something. Doesn't sound like he's pushing Jonah or anyone else, it's disappointing.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Same, I thought those couple of decent turns at LT were the start of something. Doesn't sound like he's pushing Jonah or anyone else, it's disappointing.

Thinking Carman is just a backup LT at this point. He's had trouble at G and trouble on the right side. He played well in limited snaps last year at LT, but he's not beating out OBJ. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Thinking Carman is just a backup LT at this point. He's had trouble at G and trouble on the right side. He played well in limited snaps last year at LT, but he's not beating out OBJ. 

I guess that'll do but I'm still anxious to see Jonah compete against someone that's not on the same team.

58 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I guess that'll do but I'm still anxious to see Jonah compete against someone that's not on the same team.

That's how I feel about all the new guys or guys playing a new position. I need 6ish weeks of data to form an opinion 

• Upvote 1