Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

53 minutes ago, Griever said:

I will say, there has been much less documented action at training camp by those on the beat leading up to the final preseason game...I think everyone is ready for the regular season.

Losing Burrow on the second day of training camp seemed to knock the wind out of everyone's sails. Hoping he will return to practice next Monday, the first practice after the last exhibition game. Just don't think he would have time to get ready for Cleveland if he doesn't return to practice by then.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dex said:

Losing Burrow on the second day of training camp seemed to knock the wind out of everyone's sails. Hoping he will return to practice next Monday, the first practice after the last exhibition game. Just don't think he would have time to get ready for Cleveland if he doesn't return to practice by then.

100% agree that enthusiasm with training camp overall dropped when 9 went down.

Yeah, at least some level of practice and preparation before week 1 would be crucial

..nobody wants to see another rusty opener again 

By Myles Simmons

Published August 25, 2023 11:56 AM

While the Bengals haven’t had quarterback Joe Burrow available to practice since he suffered a calf injury on the second day of training camp, the team’s continuity in offensive personnel should help him make a seamless transition whenever he returns.

But even as Burrow is out, his receivers are making strides.

As Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd enter their third year as a trio, Boyd — the most experienced of the group — recently complimented Chase on his improvements throughout the spring and summer.

Ja’Marr is just more polished about how he goes about his work day,” Boyd said, via Charlie Goldsmith of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “He doesn’t miss treatment. He’s not worrying about the wrong things outside of football. He gets here, is locked in, and does what he has to do before he gets on the field.

“Before, he used to just chill, sit around, and go play. Now, he takes things more seriously. He has become a vet. It’s the same thing with Tee.”

If that’s the case, then Chase could be poised for a monster 2023 — not that he was a slouch in either of his first two seasons. He was the AP offensive rookie of the year in 2021 after catching 81 passes for 1,455 yards with 13 touchdowns. He played just 12 games due to injury last year, but still finished with 87 receptions for 1,046 yards with nine TDs.

Higgins has caught exactly 74 passes for just over 1,000 yards in each of the last two years — 1,091 in 2021 and 1,029 in 2022.

With Chase, Higgins, and Boyd, Cincinnati’s offense should be plenty explosive from a receiver standpoint in 2023.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/cincinnati-bengals

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Today seems like a very important practice day. If Burrow is going to start on opening day in less than 2 weeks, doesn't he need to be on the practice field today in some limited capacity? He returned to practice last year on August 16th, I think. So he's already running way behind that timeline.

57 minutes ago, dex said:

If Burrow is going to start on opening day in less than 2 weeks, doesn't he need to be on the practice field today in some limited capacity? 

Zac said Burrow would only need "one rep" to be ready for week 1. 

So he's still got 13 days to take that. 

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Zac said Burrow would only need "one rep" to be ready for week 1. 

So he's still got 13 days to take that. 

Pretty sure he Taylor meant that in a joking way. Either way I'm sure Burrow would not be happy with just one rep. He is all about preparation.

Do wonder if the contract talks dragging on affects the timeline at all. Hope not. I'm starting to get angsty even though I know that his extension is inevitable.