The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, Jonah will get paid. When healthy he's a mid level starting LT. There's a shortage of those around the league so several teams will bid him up. Basically he's what a team would expect a mid to late first round pick to develop into. Being able to use that pick elsewhere and avoid the rookie mistakes makes him a value to some teams.

Does that make him a value to the

Bengals for those same reasons?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Jonah is looking for a long term deal. Something like 5years/80 mil. No way Bengals should give that to him. Some team might do it and then put him back at LT.

In any event, he isn't signing a 1 year deal in Cincinnati.

Pollack hasn't shown any ability to develop younger players. So we should use higher picks on the O-line. I'd take a tackle in the first and maybe a center in round 3 or 4. Take Sweat in round 2 if he's available. 

I'd get rid of Pollack and bring in an assistant that was on a team with a good o-line, Pollack has shown he can't develop guys, I'd rather take a chance on a guy who might be able to. I like @MichaelWeston idea about Browns assistant Scott Peters. THEN let him get the guys he wants. I also want a RT in 1 unless Newton is there then I heavily consider it. I'm also slowly warming up to the idea that Bowers may be able to give you blocking and receiving and be good at both. I can tell you I do not want a first round WR.

16 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Does that make him a value to the

Bengals for those same reasons?

I think the larger question for the OL is the coaching and the system - when Browning went more under center we could effectively run the ball and then better pass protect. Stiil, even if we signed him to a reasonable deal i would drfat OL high (as well as DL) - we just need to up our depth and quality at both positions. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd get rid of Pollack and bring in an assistant that was on a team with a good o-line, Pollack has shown he can't develop guys, I'd rather take a chance on a guy who might be able to. I like @MichaelWeston idea about Browns assistant Scott Peters. THEN let him get the guys he wants. I also want a RT in 1 unless Newton is there then I heavily consider it. I'm also slowly warming up to the idea that Bowers may be able to give you blocking and receiving and be good at both. I can tell you I do not want a first round WR.

I would agree a WR in Rd 1 would be a huge mistake. Newton or a RT please and thanks

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes to all that...but..

If by some chance the Bengals re-sign Jonah and trade Tee for a 2nd Rd pick

then the possibility of drafting Odunze may be a reality.

They draft Sweat in round 2...

Cover backer in Rd 3..

(That's if they're on the board)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would agree a WR in Rd 1 would be a huge mistake. Newton or a RT please and thanks

Depends on their situation come draft day.

I think Odunze will get 1k receiving next year ..whoever grabs him.

46 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I stand corrected, I myself have mentioned it enough times that even the average guys are getting above average pay.  Someone will likley pay him and we can get a 3rd round comp pick (before offsets). Hofefully we can get one of the two good RT propsects in round 1. 

When the cap goes up it goes up for everyone, what we considered average pay yesterday is not average pay today.

16 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Agree. Dark horses that I can live with are Bowers and maybe the top CB whomever that is if there.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Agree. Dark horses that I can live with are Bowers and maybe the top CB whomever that is if there.

We need big-time  help at RT NT Cover backer  and CB..

Depends on the situation but alot of holes to fill.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes to all that...but..

If by some chance the Bengals re-sign Jonah and trade Tee for a 2nd Rd pick

then the possibility of drafting Odunze may be a reality.

They draft Sweat in round 2...

Cover backer in Rd 3..

(That's if they're on the board)

I really hope they don't resign Jonah. I realize this is a devil you now vs devil you don't know, and maybe if we get a better O-line coach he gets better, but I have seen enough to believe he's just average. The problem is in this division we need better. Sure it's a risk taking a rookie, but it's a risk I'd take.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I like Bowers but is he really necessary considering other positions of great need?

I'm not as high on him as others.

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

We need big-time  help at RT NT Cover backer  and CB..

Depends on the situation but alot of holes to fill.

Yup I don't think we fill them all in one offseason, it's going to take 2. (Next year WR and RB become needs)

• Upvote 1

Just now, claptonrocks said:

I like Bowers but is he really necessary considering other positions of great need?

Who knows. I also am always a fan of getting TEs from Iowa, that school just seems to produce good ones. Dallas Clark, George Kittle, TJ Hokenson, Noah Fant, Sam LaPorta.

Maybe take a look at Luke Lachey?

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Who knows. I also am always a fan of getting TEs from Iowa, that school just seems to produce good ones. Dallas Clark, George Kittle, TJ Hokenson, Noah Fant, Sam LaPorta.

Maybe take a look at Luke Lachey?

That's an impressive list.

Who's the TE coach at Iowa?..

Need to pry him to coach our The unit.

7 minutes ago, MOC said:

Abdul Hodge, former All Big 10 linebacker for Iowa. Signed in 2022 and coached LaPorta

Remembered the name and looked it up, he used to play here from 2008-10.

Wonder who is responsible for TEs there before him? A number of the guys I listed were there before Hodge was the coach. Iowa seems to be TE-U.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Texas (the state, not the Horns) produces so many upper-level players at the HS level, who then sometimes stay in state. You seem to be on top of it all, so question: besides UT, what player/players from other in-state schools do you see as first-round/second round quality? I'm mostly interested in offensive/defensive line, but WR is curious also. 

I have seen some very good players at UTSA, North Texas, and other small-to mid-level schools. 

There are a few OTs that are highly-regarded - Guyton from Oklahoma U (not sure if he's from Texas, but a lot of Texas guys get recruited, and play there), and there's a guy named Patrick Paul (who I haven't seen play) at U of Houston. That program has sent some good talent to the NFL - guys like William Jackson(!), the Hall kid at TB (DT), and last year, Tank Dell, the Texans WR. And Andrew Coker at TCU... a big T. TCU has done a pretty good job sending trench guys to the NFL, even though they weren't very good this past fall... including G Steve Avila last year. 

Longhorns have several receivers that are rated high.. Xavier Worth just declared, and he's small, but super-quick and fast. I like Whittington, too. And AD Mitchell is huge (6-4, 215+) - was a transfer from UGA. And their TE is one of the best - Sanders. I'm guessing he will go on day 2. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I completely agree with this plan from @Jamie_B. I did not know you could @ people. This is a game changer

54 minutes ago, texbengal said:

There are a few OTs that are highly-regarded - Guyton from Oklahoma U (not sure if he's from Texas, but a lot of Texas guys get recruited, and play there), and there's a guy named Patrick Paul (who I haven't seen play) at U of Houston. That program has sent some good talent to the NFL - guys like William Jackson(!), the Hall kid at TB (DT), and last year, Tank Dell, the Texans WR. And Andrew Coker at TCU... a big T. TCU has done a pretty good job sending trench guys to the NFL, even though they weren't very good this past fall... including G Steve Avila last year. 

Longhorns have several receivers that are rated high.. Xavier Worth just declared, and he's small, but super-quick and fast. I like Whittington, too. And AD Mitchell is huge (6-4, 215+) - was a transfer from UGA. And their TE is one of the best - Sanders. I'm guessing he will go on day 2. 

Patrick Paul is a LT though.

Per PFF's Big Board the following Tackles (from thier top 145 prospect list) have played RT:

Org St - Fuaga

Ala - Latham

Geo - Mims

Okl - Guyton

BYU - Suamataia (also played LT)

Pitt - Gonclaves (alos played LT)

ND - Fisher

Utes - Laumea

Ind - Adams

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Patrick Paul is a LT though.

Per PFF's Big Board the following Tackles (from thier top 145 prospect list) have played RT:

Org St - Fuaga

Ala - Latham

Geo - Mims

Okl - Guyton

BYU - Suamataia (also played LT)

Pitt - Gonclaves (alos played LT)

ND - Fisher

Utes - Laumea

Ind - Adams

Id be happy with Fuaga or Guyton.

Mims could be a good one but he's raw according to reports...

Still like the talent in him though.

Be something if Lathem fell to us but not looking likely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I completely agree with this plan from @Jamie_B. I did not know you could @ people. This is a game changer

I still don't see the need in drafting Bowers in Rd1..

Many TEs were drafted later and have played well

RT..NT...cover backer..

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I still don't see the need in drafting Bowers in Rd1..

Many TEs were drafted later and have played well

RT..NT...cover backer..

I agree those are bigger needs but if you can get a surefire weapon on offense I think you do it. He's pretty can't miss and those other tight ends are hopes. If no Bowers than I say wait until round 4

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

If we take a skill position payer in the first 3 or 4 rounds I will have a freaking  aneurysm. Meat and potatoes baby, lets try to keep Joe upright and at least attempt to stop the run. Going nowhere fast otherwise.

• Upvote 1