The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

Tag Tee, if we rent him for a year fine, if we can get a 1st round pick for him even better.

I will be shocked if Jonah is back, he's the best RT in FA now and will get paid, the Bengals are saving that money for Jamar.

If you told me we tagged Tee and could focus on 

RT, LG, DT (because I don't think Reader is coming back either), and a TE, and they were quality players that contributed right away, then I think we are back next year.

30 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Straighten out the running game we ate last in the league

Clearly watching Mixon tonight he still has gas in the tank. We just have to be able to block for him.

We cant run or stop the run, that's the best way to lose football games. 

That has to start and end by focusing on both sides of the line. 

This needs to be the most unsexy draft the Bengals have had in a while, but one that focuses on the fundamentals of winning in the trenches.

• Le Tigre changed the title to The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread
6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Clearly watching Mixon tonight he still has gas in the tank. We just have to be able to block for him.

We cant run or stop the run, that's the best way to lose football games. 

That has to start and end by focusing on both sides of the line. 

This needs to be the most unsexy draft the Bengals have had in a while, but one that focuses on the fundamentals of winning in the trenches.

Agree on that losing Hubbard for these past 2 games certainly didn't help but otherwise I'd say losing bell and bates hurt also but you cannot keep everyone the chiefs lost plenty to free ageny and traded tyreek hill and still won we need to be able to do that

27 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

At this point, I would like the first 4 picks to be 2 OL and 2 DL. 

RT, LG, and two DT's and I'd be fine with that. 

Still think we need a TE, but if this is the most unsexy draft the Bengals have had in a while I'd be perfectly fine with it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, New Jersey Bengal said:

How about a replacement for tee if we can't sign him ?

That's why I think we tag him. You can't go into the off-season having Boyd, Higgins, and Iriwn all free agents. I'm also not against us doing a tag and trade in order to get an extra first-round pick or top of the 2nd round if we can get the Panthers pick, and use that to get Tee's replacement. I am against losing 3 of your top 4 WRs.

• Upvote 2

I think the TE conversation is interesting in terms of how the position rates and relates to the other 3 WR spots. To me, if Vhase, Tee and Boyd we don't really need an elite TE. But if we don't re-sign Boyd and tag Tee (losing him the year after) then maybe a high level TE with 'lesser' of WR2 and WR3 would work just as well? But dammit, we need to fix the OL for the next 5 years. That to me is still priority #1. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Straighten out the running game we are last in the league

That is because the HC doesn't commit to the run, which is mind-boggling with a banged-up QB and a line that struggles to pass block it would make sense to run the ball to protect both parties. Mixon is currently 9th in rushing yards but the Bengals don't rush the ball consistently enough to get a flow going, too pass-happy.   We definitely have to get more talent on the offensive line tho, specifically at LG and RT, because I don't expect Jonah to return and Volson sucks. 

13 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Straighten out the running game we are last in the league

We ran the ball better last night than we have in games past, and ran the ball better on the Ravens than their season average allows, even after Burrow exited the game and the Ravens knew we would be running the ball. It seems like we run effectively early in the game and then go away from it, which makes me wonder how much truth there is to the statement that Taylor made about Burrow optioning out of the run. 

11 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

That is because the HC doesn't commit to the run, which is mind-boggling with a banged-up QB and a line that struggles to pass block it would make sense to run the ball to protect both parties. Mixon is currently 9th in rushing yards but the Bengals don't rush the ball consistently enough to get a flow going, too pass-happy.   We definitely have to get more talent on the offensive line tho, specifically at LG and RT, because I don't expect Jonah to return and Volson sucks. 

To be fair some of that is on Joe, they call the plays and he has the option to take the pass

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Whoever it is, they need to fix it. if it's on Joe then the HC needs to hold him accountable and get him to run the play that is called. 

Exactly and I think it goes beyond that.

The decision to play if injured be it calf or now possibly sprained wrist

should be made by the head coach, not the player which seems to be happening

here.

Of course, if he sees something and as Ja'Marr says, "He's the smartest guy I know",

change it.

But ultimately it is Zac who will be held responsible and accountable.

13 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Exactly and I think it goes beyond that.

The decision to play if injured be it calf or now possibly sprained wrist

should be made by the head coach, not the player which seems to be happening

here.

Of course, if he sees something and as Ja'Marr says, "He's the smartest guy I know",

change it.

But ultimately it is Zac who will be held responsible and accountable.

I think the fact that Zac Taylor was literally one of, if not, the worst coaches in NFL history(going by win percentage) before Burrow came to town is why he has more say in the organization than Taylor...let's not forget Taylor hand-picked Ryan Finley to be his guy, even traded up to get him because the league was soo hot that noodled arm twig of a QB...so I can see why Burrow is like, hold my beer Zachory... I got this, but at some point, he needs to assert dominance like the alpha male he aspires to be and put his foot down on ol Shiesty...

We'll probably have a top 15, maybe top 10 pick now. We should tag Tee and try to re-sign him. We should try to re-sign Reader and think we could do so but not sure the team will pay him. His market value is probably around what he's making now. Boyd and Awuzie will be gone and probably Jonah too. 

So I'd be looking for a RT, TE, and WR to start. 

• Like 1

Some notables from Dane Brugler's recent top 50 prospect list: (Hard to cut and paste from the way they formatted this page)

JC Latham

OT

ALABAMA

Height:

6-6

Weight:

Class:

Jr.

A massive blocker, Latham carries his weight well in pass protection and plays with exceptional strength from head to toe. In the run game, he creates movement at contact and specializes in dumping linebackers at the second level.

He needs to be more consistent with his strike placement and protecting versus inside moves, but Latham has quickly and consistently improved since he arrived in Tuscaloosa. He has the goods to be a starting NFL right tackle next year.

Amarius Mims

OT

GEORGIA

Height:

6-7

Weight:

Class:

Jr.

The No. 5 player in my preseason top 50, Mims looked primed for a breakout season, but he has been sidelined with an ankle injury. Nonetheless, I’m still captivated by his flashes and traits. He moves tremendously well for a 330-pounder and packs a punch behind his powerful hands.

With just five career starts to his name, Mims needs to establish his body of work, but I’ll bet on his baseline talent.

Tyler Guyton

OT

OKLAHOMA

Height:

6-6

Weight:

Class:

R-Jr.

Similar to Amarius Mims, Guyton’s draft projection is based more on traits and upside than body of work, which can make it challenging to accurately rank him at this point. But he offers the big-man athleticism and movement skills that make it easy to be optimistic for his future.

Several NFL scouts believe his potential is greater than that of Anton Harrison, a 2023 first-rounder from Oklahoma.

Bengals rarely draft for need, they draft based on how the board falls to them and how they have the players ranked. That's how you get them taking Murphy over a TE Mayer or OT Dawand Jones (despite no need at DE). 

So the bigger question becomes, who are some players ranked in that 10-15 range that the Bengals could target in RD1? 

• Upvote 1