Could the QB playing under the center be the answer to the running game?

8 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Obviously the team is 10x better with the JB 2.0 under center. But its against the rules to say that here. They want us to bow to whoever the highest paid qb is on the team. Been that way here for many years. 

It doesn't go against the rules

You've been very adamant about your stance with JB..

Don't expect alot of agreements though.

• Upvote 1

I've been beating this drum for a while. 

Joe Mixon is a downhill runner. He's like Bowser in Mario Kart he needs a "ramp up" time to hit the hole. It's also a problem because playing shotgun gives opposing defenses that much more time to close any running lane that was open.

Joe Burrow needs to focus his offseason on being more comfortable under center and playing with the play action pass. 

The stuff he likes works in college, and to a degree works here because he is so good, but it hurts the running game which in turn makes it that much harder on him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I've been beating this drum for a while. 

Joe Mixon is a downhill runner. He's like Bowser in Mario Kart he needs a "ramp up" time to hit the hole. It's also a problem because playing shotgun gives opposing defenses that much more time to close any running lane that was open.

Joe Burrow needs to focus his offseason on being more comfortable under center and playing with the play action pass. 

The stuff he likes works in college, and to a degree works here because he is so good, but it hurts the running game which in turn makes it that much harder on him.

A voice of reason..

Spot on.

I've emphasized the Oline being able to power forward in play action as opposed to backing up 

in the Shotgun.

How in the hell can you show power if your backing up to start run game?

Zach is using it perfectly now and hopefully JB will go to it once back 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i understood when Burrow was calf limited.. however it needs to be recognized when in the shotgun the DL plays spread out , the  offensive tackles are even more on an island because the DEs start so far out, and they can design the pass rush to get to the spot the QB stands at in the shotgun... when under center they cant spread out, the QB is moving either back 3 -5-7 steps or to rolling to either side or if the DTs spread out and not covering the center they are grabbing an easy  3-4 yards on a sneak. . .. and add in  it gives the rb a running forward start .  the more variables you stack for the defense the more they have to cover. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stryker57 said:

i understood when Burrow was calf limited.. however it needs to be recognized when in the shotgun the DL plays spread out , the  offensive tackles are even more on an island because the DEs start so far out, and they can design the pass rush to get to the spot the QB stands at in the shotgun... when under center they cant spread out, the QB is moving either back 3 -5-7 steps or to rolling to either side or if the DTs spread out and not covering the center they are grabbing an easy  3-4 yards on a sneak. . .. and add in  it gives the rb a running forward start .  the more variables you stack for the defense the more they have to cover. 

Outstanding explanation..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 9:07 PM, stryker57 said:

This again..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, SmoothD said:

It seems to open things up a bit more in my opinion

As has been stated on here before, play action works best and/or only works if you have a running back

that makes the defense think he is a threat to break off a half dozen yards or more.

That isn't Mixon.

That leaves two options:

Stay under center and get mauled by the defense

or

Run out of the shotgun and get mauled by the defense.

We are all aware of the Bengals love of free agency and next year we

should take a long, hard look at free agent running backs because Mixon

simply is not getting it done and it all can't be blamed on the O line.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

As has been stated on here before, play action works best and/or only works if you have a running back

that makes the defense think he is a threat to break off a half dozen yards or more.

That isn't Mixon.

That leaves two options:

or

So why not try Chase Brown?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

That isn't Mixon.

That leaves two options:

or

Except that for those couple of weeks that we were running under center stuff Joe was putting up numbers. When we got away from that this week and Zac thought Jake was Joey B again and for some reason thought "you can't run against the Steelers" despite every other team doing so, he didn't.

You have been wrong about Mixon every step of the way. And he will finish out his contract next year here as the starter, start preparing yourself for that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Except that for those couple of weeks that we were running under center stuff Joe was putting up numbers. When we got away from that this week and Zac thought Jake was Joey B again and for some reason thought "you can't run against the Stealers" despite every other team doing so, he didn't.

You have been wrong about Mixon every step of the way. And he will finish out his contract next year here as the starter, start preparing yourself for that.

47 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

i could agree with you when Mixon had his high contract numbers and you stated that he wasnt worth that much , .. but now your acting as blind as Zach with the shotgun formation.. under center did work improving the run game.   Mixon did a fine job.  you just wont admit it. 

Mixon had 5 yards in the whole first half.

Game total 43 yards on 11 carries, 3.9 average, longest 13 yards

Chase Brown carried 4 times for 16 yards, for 4.0 average.

So why was Mixon in there?

Because we're Bengals son, square peg in a round hole?

His stellar blocking?

He'll have a good game or two but he simply is not that good.

Cheap and getting cheaper. perhaps, but not that good.

Yes, he will be back and I don't see him being any better.

Time to move on.

And, no, he did not cost us the game.  Turnover Browning and

the woeful D did.

• Upvote 1

Just now, High School Harry said:

His stellar blocking?

Time to move on.

the woeful D did.

How many times do we have to go over this?

Remember when Kenny Watson was getting more YPA than Rudi Johnson?

We've both been here long enough for me to remember you not making a thread called "We need to talk about Rudi Johnson"

It is not uncommon for your backup RB to have a better YPA than your starter. 

They don't face 8 man boxes, because your opposing defenses are usually expecting a pass.

Look I don't care if you don't like Joe Mixon for his offseason nonsense, that would at least be understandable, but your football reasons are absurd.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Turnover Browning and

the woeful D did.

Yes and no. 

“Turnover Browning” 3 INTs led to 17 Stealer points. But: 

INT #1 was that heave into the endzone, then brought out to 20. Stealers had to go 80-yards in 10 plays to get the TD. Was this Jake or the defense? 

INT #2 was a high pass run back to the 14. 4 plays 14 yards. On Jake. 

INT #3 was on target for Iosovas but the defender made a very good play. 9 plays 31 yards for a FG. Give defense credit for limiting them to a FG. 

But, defense also gave up 159 yards and 14 points on 2 plays. 

Mixon wasn’t the cause of the loss either. It was simply a bad, bad, day for the entire team 

• Upvote 3

On 12/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, High School Harry said:

His stellar blocking?

Time to move on.

the woeful D did.

you say Mixon had 5 yard the 1st half.. how many times did they run it? the steeler always do the exact same thing pressure front short zones ,. which covers hot read passed and keeps the defense up short to stop the run.  and we always do the same shit. run once or twice then try screens and outside runs, whihc rarely work ,  the offensive line and Mixon have not produced what they should for what they are getting paid, but the play calling and formation/personal really has not been that helpful either.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stryker57 said:

you say Mixon had 5 yard the 1st half.. how many times did they run it? the steeler always do the exact same thing pressure front short zones ,. which covers hot read passed and keeps the defense up short to stop the run.  and we always do the same shit. run once or twice then try screens and outside runs, whihc rarely work ,  the offensive line and Mixon have not produced what they should for what they are getting paid, but the play calling and formation/personal really has not been that helpful either.  

I'm breaking my self imposed moratorium   about  speaking ill of Mixon.

But you make my point.

With Mixon there's always an excuse.  O line, coaching and play calling

everything you mentioned but

nothing is ever his fault.  We need something better than Joe Mixon, the K Mart

Blue Light Special of Running Backs.  Poster Boy for "Not My Fault" and "Even a

Blind Squirrel Finds a Truffle Sometimes".

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I'm breaking my self imposed moratorium   about  speaking ill of Mixon.

But you make my point.

With Mixon there's always an excuse.  O line, coaching and play calling

everything you mentioned but

nothing is ever his fault.  We need something better than Joe Mixon, the K Mart

Blue Light Special of Running Backs.  Poster Boy for "Not My Fault" and "Even a

Blind Squirrel Finds a Truffle Sometimes".

I would have zero issues putting it on Joe if the Oline was opening holes and he wasn't hitting them.